By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst: "The Wii is already past its prime days."

The sad part is that could pass as news. You should totally try sending this around the blog circuit, see if anyone bites.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Nonstanding the fact that it is a fake article you can't deny that with 1 week of data missing in Q1 2009-2010 fiscal year for Nintendo, Wii sales are down 50%. ( 2.45 millions this last quarter compared to little over 5 million units sold 1 year ago).

If that's not off its peak, I don't know what qualifies...

And more alarming, sales were down more the second half of the quarter that saw releases like Punch Out and EA Active than during the first part of the quarter where 2009 should have been more at a disadvantage ( due to Mk Wii releasing in April 2008).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

RolStoppable said:
Ail said:

Nonstanding the fact that it is a fake article you can't deny that with 1 week of data missing in Q1 2009-2010 fiscal year for Nintendo, Wii sales are down 50%. ( 2.45 millions this last quarter compared to little over 5 million units sold 1 year ago).

If that's not off its peak, I don't know what qualifies...

And more alarming, sales were down more the second half of the quarter that saw releases like Punch Out and EA Active than during the first part of the quarter where 2009 should have been more at a disadvantage ( due to Mk Wii releasing in April 2008).

Nintendo still has many options to increase demand. You shouldn't start celebrating too soon.

EDIT: Wii Fit launched in (late) May 2008 in Europe and America and that was one of the biggest hardware driving games, even more so than Mario Kart Wii.

Such as ?

Because I really don't see how giving Wii gamers more of the same or better of the same ( WSR, Wii Fit+, NSMB) is going to convince non current Wii owners to suddenly make the jump to purchase a Wii....

The only really new big title incoming is MH3 and it will only mostly have a Japane impact.

If somehow the Wii managed to sell 300k units/week during fiscal Q2 and Q4 and somehow managed to sell 10 million units during the holydays ( really really doubtfull at this point).

It still would fall 5.5 millions units short of last year in term of sales.

Hence the term off its peak....

I caught it the moment I read the asterisk. About 5 seconds in.

RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:
How much has WSR done for it to be bad?

WSR sold about 300k units in its opening week and is the sequel to a game that sold more than 3 million copies.

I think you guys are forgetting one thing. Wii Sports was a bundled game and WSR is NOT. So you really can' compare the 2 games in terms of sales because of that. I'm sure WSR will sell millions and million, expecially after it launches in the U.S.

I do not think the Wii has reached it's prime yet. Maybe in another year or two. It's still outselling the PS3 and 360 pretty easily, even in the off season.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network
XanderZane said:
RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:
How much has WSR done for it to be bad?

WSR sold about 300k units in its opening week and is the sequel to a game that sold more than 3 million copies.

I think you guys are forgetting one thing. Wii Sports was a bundled game and WSR is NOT. So you really can' compare the 2 games in terms of sales because of that. I'm sure WSR will sell millions and million, expecially after it launches in the U.S.

I do not think the Wii has reached it's prime yet. Maybe in another year or two. It's still outselling the PS3 and 360 pretty easily, even in the off season.

Actually Wii Sports wasn't bundled in Japan...

Doomed, eh? Not so much but it has been moving a lot slower than almost everyone in expected this year. The current weekly numbers, to me, is not a testament to how great the Wii's sales are, rather they're a clear show of how slowly the HD brothers are crawling.

Yet another No name nobody says something he has no idea what he's tslking about. Working for a ferm that never sold games and dont know what sells just reads charts that cant keep actual sales tract in this in this country.  What he trying to say If Nintendo reached its peak (they havent) with motion control then all Sony and Microsot has to do is add that WONDERFUL feature to their systems since they already got HD.  When People say HARDCORE is because some other gaming or company said it.  No its not the M rated game with blood in it or Fisrt peson shooter (those are for core gamers)  same kind of game play year over year easy to please just add NEW hat....err, I mean Map or DL content feature then BAM!!  You'll buy it again.  I dont see some Web/bush/Morgan Game store or some Patcher Gaming site to purchase games from since thier so good at tracking and knowing what trends are.  SHUT THE F*CK UP already and go play a game...

mightyERone said:

Yet another No name nobody says something he has no idea what he's tslking about. Working for a ferm that never sold games and dont know what sells just reads charts that cant keep actual sales tract in this in this country.  What he trying to say If Nintendo reached its peak (they havent) with motion control then all Sony and Microsot has to do is add that WONDERFUL feature to their systems since they already got HD.  When People say HARDCORE is because some other gaming or company said it.  No its not the M rated game with blood in it or Fisrt peson shooter (those are for core gamers)  same kind of game play year over year easy to please just add NEW hat....err, I mean Map or DL content feature then BAM!!  You'll buy it again.  I dont see some Web/bush/Morgan Game store or some Patcher Gaming site to purchase games from since thier so good at tracking and knowing what trends are.  SHUT THE F*CK UP already and go play a game...

Yet another guppy

Wii was always quiet mid year, wait until Christmas.