By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will Tales series do same that Final Fantasy did?

Xxain said:
g-value said:
Xxain said:
theprof00 said:
make a steam punk tales game and you got it in the bag.

that would be great...because the setting of Tales is gettin old..

The setting in the tales games is no different then the setting you see in pretty much every jrpg.

No...I give example..Tales uses the same setting since the beginning of the series( Legendia my 2nd fav tales game is the exception),...look at how many times FF have changed the setting in the series. Tales may have a different name for the world but it looks exactly like every other Tales game can you say the same thing about FF?? hell SO gave us multiple settings in one game.

No tales game don't have the exact same settings. How many tales games have you played? Final Fantasy does change there setting alot though.

Around the Network

dude I want you to give me 2 vastly different tales settings...ive already list Legendia...now you give me( btw when i say setting i dont mean same worlds more of the look) also 5 tales games * Tales of the world RM

Too-Weak said:
Face it. As much as we love them, jRPGs don't get big over here on their own merits.

Symphonia is the only Tales that had success in America. But Nintendo helped a lot with the marketing and the GC was lacking in the RPG department. After that, the series fell back into obscurity (Vesperia 120k total USA, Symphonia 2's first week was 1/4 the JP first week, etc).

FF7 had a ton of (deceptive) commercials.

Pokemon may have stayed big on it's own merits [second best selling series alltime, after Mario], but the TV show and marketing empire behind it is what convinced people to try it out.

Earthbound has a huge cult following now, but I highly doubt most of the "fans" are part of the 140k box sets that sold when the game first came out. It's big break was SSB.

Well said, actually, and it makes me sad. See thats the thing, why doesn't Namco start up some publicity ideas? Heres one; for Tales of vesperia, how about some COMMERCIALS for one. Two, in those commercials show wayyyy more of the (quote unquote) "cool aspects" of the game, i.e. Yuri Lowell.

Get Cartoon Network to run  the Tales of Vesperia movie tie in on release date of the PS3 version. After that, localize Tales of Symphonia and Abyss series for a station, and get a contract to aire the episodes.

See, thats the simple part. And it could work both ways; get the brand name popular known, and get money from the commercials

And last but certainly not least, get a close relationship with one or more of the big three game companies and see if you can't manage to sqeeze a Tales game into one of their Press Conferences during E3.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

star ocean character design always being awful.
i like the futuristic/modern theme too, but not when they go for the guns like fallout or mass effect
end up being shooter, dressed as RPG to say it have good story, but the story is not fragmented that u don't get a strong feeling ending or storyline.

Xxain said:
theprof00 said:
steam punk and modern settings are something that nobody seems to care about nowadays. Everything is set in a legendary era with lots of grass and clouds.

FF7 broke that mold, but stayed true to the classic jrpg by keeping scenic areas along with steam punk.

FF7 + 8 are two of the best jrpgs ever made (according to popularity levels across the net), and they both involve modern scenes along with futuristic settings.

This is why Final Fantasy Versus is going to tear up the JRPG world.

yea i agree..i enjoy modern and scfi settings more than anything. fantasy/midevil worlds are getting stale

I wouldn't say the fantasy settings are stale, just not as interesting as modern and sci fi settings.  Many people seem to agree if the sales of games like Halo, Gears of War, GTA, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc.are a good indication.  Not to mention the Final Fantasy series which can be pretty damn experimental when it comes to settings.  It should be no coincidence that FFVI, VII, and X are the most popular games in the series.

Around the Network

I have only played Tales of Eternia (which is on my top 10) and I really liked it, but when I started to copare FF and Tales:
FF wins:
Voice acting
Music
Athmosphere
Story (and how they tell the story...FFX is good example, or Grandia)
Characters
Tales:
Battle system

Take my love, take my land..

Never, Final Fantasy will be Square Enix's main game forever.

well the only game i played was vesperia. Its was pretty good but it was nothing spectacular. I perfered the gameplay more in SO4 than i did in Vesperia. As for the story, i loved LO more than vesperia. this is mainly due to the fact that the story just kills itself at the end point of the game and from wat ive been reading, all tales games are known to do this which may be a reason why it is not at Final fantasy's or SMT's calibur.

I highly doubt it ever will.

All SE main marketting, outside of Japan... goes on Final Fantasy.

The only other game, what would really stand a chance, is Dragon Quest.

Simulacrum said:
I have only played Tales of Eternia (which is on my top 10) and I really liked it, but when I started to copare FF and Tales:
FF wins:
Voice acting
Music
Athmosphere
Story (and how they tell the story...FFX is good example, or Grandia)
Characters

Tales:
Battle system

FF series is popular for these exact reasons.  It is just popular to hate on it just because it is so popular.  FFX has to be commended for having arguably some of the best storytelling in a JRPG thanks in part to the at the time, amazing facial expressions.  Sure, the lipsynching was off sometimes due to the English voices being put against lipsynching made for Japanese dialogue but in the grand scheme of things, that was only a minor problem.