By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will Tales series do same that Final Fantasy did?

You might argue that what is best Final fantasy,but Final Fantasy 7 made series come to europeans and americans knowledge.After that all its game have been succes world wide.

Its been over 10 years, and Tales games are still mainly made for Japan only.Most of its games haven't even come to America and Europe..

I don't think any other Jprg series could do what Final Fantasy did expect Tales..But whats taking so long?

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

With every new release they are getting older... 10 years out and there still wasnt a single Tales game that was even fairly popular in the west... except if they make a MHFU.Tri add campaing like Capcom is doing/will do I dont see it ever becomming a popular game series outside of Japan...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

If Tales of vesperia can't crack the west, there probably won't eve be a Tales game that can... :( C'mon PS3 version, YOU CAN DO IT! But the problem is and always have been namco. They can't market Tales games for SHIT.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

DQ has much higher chances than Tales imo.

Face it. As much as we love them, jRPGs don't get big over here on their own merits.

Symphonia is the only Tales that had success in America. But Nintendo helped a lot with the marketing and the GC was lacking in the RPG department. After that, the series fell back into obscurity (Vesperia 120k total USA, Symphonia 2's first week was 1/4 the JP first week, etc).

FF7 had a ton of (deceptive) commercials.

Pokemon may have stayed big on it's own merits [second best selling series alltime, after Mario], but the TV show and marketing empire behind it is what convinced people to try it out.

Earthbound has a huge cult following now, but I highly doubt most of the "fans" are part of the 140k box sets that sold when the game first came out. It's big break was SSB.

Around the Network

The Tales series doesnt have anything great about it, FF7 brought FF to new hieghts while at the same time the genre. Tales would need to have a game that raises the bar on the franchise and genre

i think it's too generic.
tons of anime-like JRPG.
Vesperia pink girl looks like anime version of ashe of ff12.

while a fun game indeed it doesn't have production values of Final fantasy.

^ yep...tales needs break out of the saturday morning cartoon crap..and get so professional writers, it also needs to stop using the same themes and cookie cutter characters

The tales series being to anime-like has nothing to do with why it does not sell as well as final fanasty. Its just that Square Enix knows how to market their games WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY better then Namco. If namco was to promote the tales game even half has much as Square Enix promote the final fanasty game then it would easily be a million seller.

Xxain said:
^ yep...tales needs break out of the saturday morning cartoon crap..and get so professional writers, it also needs to stop using the same themes and cookie cutter characters

Like the Star Ocean series right?