By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu first day sales

Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:
Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:

Daz, this is just to give the reference between the two titles to realize more how crazy that claim is.

I mean the resolution is obviously higher on Rorona, but Arc Rise has more detailed everything else.

outlaw, I hope the you understand "5 times more" is of course irrealist and just an exaggeration of something (I don't have much doubt it costed mor, of course not 5 times)... the same way saying that Atelier Rorona sold well and Arc Rise sold bad is an exaggeration and irrealist ;)

Well, if Arc Rise didn't sell badly, then Atelier will is going to have a better first week is selling well, no? I don't think it works quite like that, but Atelier is a niche like Muramasa and Fragile. Arc Rise Fantasia isn't a niche title, it's a standard turn based RPG.

Like I'm saying since the begining... the Wii have no niche titles! When Muramasa came out, everyone said it sold bad as well. The same with Fragile! And I'm sure if Atelier Rorona was on the Wii it wouldn't be niche as well ;)

BTW, Atelier is  niche because... of the chibi look?

Atelier is niche because the RPG isn't about combat but alchemy. It's an Alchemy RPG.

The Wii does have niche titles and I consider Fragile and Muramasa two of them. Most expected them to sell better (as they were listed among the RPGs that would rebound the Wii over PS3) Expectations played a larger role in reactions to their sales. Did Atelier Rorona sell badly? Yes it did. But it sold as expected. No one thought a niche alchemy RPG would sell 100k first week.

@ Aiemond

For the Japanese audience, a standard high quality, turn based RPG should sell. It has much wider appeal than Muramasa and Fragile.

@ tres

The last release in the Atelier series sold 30k lifetime. It's going to pass that in its first week on market. (likely)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Zucas said:

Yea come on guys haven't you heard. Only Wii games can bomb. A PS3 or 360 game bombing is just unheard of... especially in Japan.

Got to love double standards. I really do think Sony fanboys need to find a hobby because wasting all of their time on telling Wii fans or MS fans on how much their games suck and how they bomb weekly is getting old.

Anyways good opener for WSR.  I had actually expected more out of BlazBlue but what ya gonna do I suppose.  Lot of good releases so Japan should be happy.

So true. Sadly some are still spouting nonsense and trying to pass it off as logical.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Zucas said:

Yea come on guys haven't you heard. Only Wii games can bomb. A PS3 or 360 game bombing is just unheard of... especially in Japan.

Got to love double standards. I really do think Sony fanboys need to find a hobby because wasting all of their time on telling Wii fans or MS fans on how much their games suck and how they bomb weekly is getting old.

Anyways good opener for WSR.  I had actually expected more out of BlazBlue but what ya gonna do I suppose.  Lot of good releases so Japan should be happy.

Well, BlazBlue is a pleasant surprise for me. I was just hoping for it to pass 10k the first week.  The last Guilty Gear sold 40k on the PS2. This is, more or less, a spinoff of that series made by the same developers.

outlawauron said:

Well, BlazBlue is a pleasant surprise for me.

Of course it is! Is on Ps360, so why shouldn't it be?

Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:

Well, BlazBlue is a pleasant surprise for me.

O course it is! Is on Ps360, so why shouldn't be?

It's going to pass what I thought it would lifetime in its first week. That's a surprise. It looks like a fun game, so it deserves the sales.

I'm not sure what the Wii iterations did in Japan (if they were even released there), but we don't have any recent generation numbers. The best comparison we have is to its last gen counterpart. That one sold 40k lifetime. This should pass it.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:
Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:

Daz, this is just to give the reference between the two titles to realize more how crazy that claim is.

I mean the resolution is obviously higher on Rorona, but Arc Rise has more detailed everything else.

outlaw, I hope the you understand "5 times more" is of course irrealist and just an exaggeration of something (I don't have much doubt it costed mor, of course not 5 times)... the same way saying that Atelier Rorona sold well and Arc Rise sold bad is an exaggeration and irrealist ;)

Well, if Arc Rise didn't sell badly, then Atelier will is going to have a better first week is selling well, no? I don't think it works quite like that, but Atelier is a niche like Muramasa and Fragile. Arc Rise Fantasia isn't a niche title, it's a standard turn based RPG.

Like I'm saying since the begining... the Wii have no niche titles! When Muramasa came out, everyone said it sold bad as well. The same with Fragile! And I'm sure if Atelier Rorona was on the Wii it wouldn't be niche as well ;)

Atelier is niche because the RPG isn't about combat but alchemy. It's an Alchemy RPG.

The Wii does have niche titles and I consider Fragile and Muramasa two of them. Most expected them to sell better (as they were listed among the RPGs that would rebound the Wii over PS3) Expectations played a larger role in reactions to their sales. Did Atelier Rorona sell badly? Yes it did. But it sold as expected. No one thought a niche alchemy RPG would sell 100k first week.

@ Aiemond

For the Japanese audience, a standard high quality, turn based RPG should sell. It has much wider appeal than Muramasa and Fragile.

@ tres

The last release in the Atelier series sold 30k lifetime. It's going to pass that in its first week on market. (likely)

You forget that the company itself said that it was their fault that the games sold badly. They even admitted they did not promote them like they should have. I do not see how it is the fault of the wii. I think ARF sold about as well as I expected. Nothing is going to sell if the company that made it won't promote it.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

I'm confused about the argument going on with that Atelier game.  Isn't the percentage listed after the sales for each game the "sellthrough," meaning what percentage of games shipped were sold?  So nothing could sell higher than that percentage, right?  If a game reached 100%, that would mean all across Japan people made pilgrimages to every game store in the country in search of the game, which is why 100% never happens -- right?  (I could be wrong here.)

So why, when some little game gets the highest sellthrough during a week in which Wii sports resort is one of the competitors, is 72% and 63% a bad sales performance on the first day the game is available?

Again, maybe I don't understand the numbers?  Could someone clear this up?

Aiemond said:
outlawauron said:
Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:
Dazkarieh said:
outlawauron said:

@ Aiemond

@ tres

You forget that the company itself said that it was their fault that the games sold badly. They even admitted they did not promote them like they should have. I do not see how it is the fault of the wii. I think ARF sold about as well as I expected. Nothing is going to sell if the company that made it won't promote it.

It has nothing to do with being on the Wii. 

@ Alic

While having high sell through it good, it doesn't matter much when the numbers are so low.

^^^ if all the developers only focused on the numbers, that will be the saddest day of gaming industry

what makes Playstaion popular is that every gamers can find what they like on this platform

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Zucas said:

Bionic Commando bombed. The reason nobody here is talking about it is because the thread is full of Wii fanboys trying to defend the poor sales of a game that came out 3 weeks ago. Go figure.

PSN - hanafuda