By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-gen console war: The verdict by mcvuk.com

MikeB said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

Ergo, comparing any spect to it is unfair, as PCs need higher specs to do their functions past gaming.

Games can be the most demanding pieces of software, from another point of view you could say a top spec games console needs higher specifications in certain areas than a PC does (Blu-Ray, 8 CPUs, advanced bandwidth and memory architecture, in the case of the PS3), from another point of view you could argue a PC needs higher system resources as more memory is required to run a bloated largely unoptimised mainstream OS like Windows, Linux or MaxOS X, but even on just an ancient Pentium 133 Mhz (or an even far older Amiga) you can browse the web, read your emails, write your letters and use a messager just fine (above 90% of the average person's daily computer usage).

Look at what PCs could do in the early 80s, even a cheap Coleco Vision games console or Commodore 64 homecomputer offered better graphics and sound. The Coleco Adam was the computer version of the Coleco Vision which received some good reviews at the time. The C64GS was a games console version of the c64 homecomputer, so the line between consoles and computers is often blurry from a technical perspectice, the original XBox was basically a cutdown PC and the PS3 can potentially be used as a super computer.

When did I deny any of this? We know games can be demanding, but this still doesn't change the fact that gaming on the PC needs higher specs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

@ sieanr

Wait a sec, did he just call the CD32 popular/succesful? That system was the very deffinition of a snafu, and sold horrid (well under 100k)

The console sold well, but commodore ran into financial problems and were unable to produce them due to lack of parts.

"The CD32 managed to secure over 50% of the CD-ROM market in the UK in 1993 and 1994, outselling the MegaCD, Philips CDi, and even PC CD-ROM sales. Total sales of the CD32 have been put at just under 100,000 - though since this was the total manufactured"

There are many indepth stories available on the internet if you are interested. Commodore was run into the ground by a former Atari exec this severely hurt the Amiga platform, leading the platform through legal battles and a whole series of dramatic events. Well worth a read, Commodore went under at a time the Amiga platform was doing pretty well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ LordTheNightKnight

When did I deny any of this? We know games can be demanding, but this still doesn't change the fact that gaming on the PC needs higher specs.

My PC can play games like Half-Life 2 and GTA San Andreas just fine, but overall in terms of performance potential my PS3 is far higher specced.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ sieanr

Wait a sec, did he just call the CD32 popular/succesful? That system was the very deffinition of a snafu, and sold horrid (well under 100k)

The console sold well, but commodore ran into financial problems and were unable to produce them due to lack of parts.

"The CD32 managed to secure over 50% of the CD-ROM market in the UK in 1993 and 1994, outselling the MegaCD, Philips CDi, and even PC CD-ROM sales. Total sales of the CD32 have been put at just under 100,000 - though since this was the total manufactured"

The are many indepth stories available on the internet if you are interested. Commodore was run into the ground by a former Atari exec this severely hurt the Amiga platform, leading the platform through legal battles and a whole series of dramatic events. Well worth a read, Commodore went under at a time the Amiga platform was doing pretty well.

Oh, I know the story. The CD32 was, essentially, a CDTV-CR made as cheaply as possible in an attempt to make the business some desperatly needed money (note, I'm not saying they are the same hardware wise, just concept wise)

Really, they needed cash and saw the console market as a quick way to get it. So, they had the CDTV that had failed (proably ahead of its time) and they redid it in the form of the CDTV-CR. But that didn't take off either, so they went and made the CD32 as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Honestly, have you ever used a CD32? I've seen mexican "polystations" that give the build quality of that pile of plastic a run for its money. Not to mention it had on of the shittiest controllers to ever be called "first party", and that includes the 5200.

The CD32 is the very definition of "cheap"

Oh, and dominating the CD based console market in 93 in Britian isn't anything to brag about. Really, less than 100k sold throughout Europe is barely above pitiful.

I can't believe you think the CD32 is a good system, even the most die-hard Amiga fans admit that it was a piece of shit.

Aside; Funny you ignore my post about how the SNES could be hooked up to a monitor without difficulty.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

MikeB said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

My PC can play games like Half-Life 2 and GTA San Andreas just fine, but overall in terms of performance potential my PS3 is far higher specced.

And a PC with an Intel Core Quadro and dual Ultra 8800s qith 4gb RAM doesn't have more "performance potential" than the PS3?

The SNES has more "performance potential" than my Apple 2....

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

It's like buying a car, you can buy a $60k or a $15k, take the same cruises, slighty different, but it's a matter of taste and treatment.

You walk in to a lot of households and you see an NES sitting under the table collecting dust, but it's there, and the owners of the house are 50 without kids living there anymore.

"The potential weakness of the Wii offering is that the target market of younger teens could become saturated quicker than for the same demographic on the DS. Will the unique lifestyle-type games which work on a portable device much loved by girls, translate to a static TV-based console?" - I can't help but see this as the entire mood setting for his article's bizzare reasonings.

When will colleges start offering Electronic Entertainment Economics degrees so we can weed out these idiots who can pull anything from the air without understanding the nature of the past, and its absolute unpredictability?

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

@ sieanr

Oh, I know the story. The CD32 was, essentially, a CDTV-CR made as cheaply as possible in an attempt to make the business some desperatly needed money (note, I'm not saying they are the same hardware wise, just concept wise)

Hardware wise you are correct the CDTV was based on the Amiga 500 and the CD32 based on the A1200.

However the design and target audience was very different. The CDTV was more aimed at the market the Philips CDi was targetting, offering a multimedia electronics device focussed on things like educational software. The CD32 was focussed at games although it was also backwards compatible with CDTV software. The first 32-bit CD-ROM based game console released in western Europe and North America expandable into a full PC system, it wasn't cheap to build like a Snes.

The CD32 had good potential, if only Commodore weren't in financial problems and if the A1200 model came with a CD drive by default as well.

Pretty much summs it up:

"A federal judge ordered an injunction against Commodore from being allowed to import anything into the United States. Commodore had built up CD32 inventory in their Philippine manufacturing facility for the United States launch, but, being unable to sell the consoles, they remained in the Philippines until the debts owed to the owners of the facility were settled. Commodore declared bankruptcy shortly afterwards, and the CD32 was never officially sold in the United States. "

"Ultimately, Commodore was not able to meet demand for new units because of component supply problems. The success of the CD32 in Europewas not enough to save Commodore, and the bankruptcy of Commodore International in April 1994 caused the CD32 to be discontinued only months after its debut."

During the last few months Commodore dropped it's loss giving PC branch and focussed solely on the Amiga platform, which was of course much to late considering the position they had put themselves into. The Amiga CD32 was considered to be main product able to save Commodore, but as quoted above financial and legal problems stood in the way.

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ sieanr

Not to mention it had on of the shittiest controllers to ever

The NES controllers were IMO much more sucky. In a Snes and Mega Drive era of gaming IMO available CD32 controllers were OK.

Aside; Funny you ignore my post about how the SNES could be hooked up to a monitor without difficulty.

Like a c64 RF monitor... ?

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ sieanr

Not to mention it had on of the shittiest controllers to ever

The NES controllers were IMO much more sucky. In a Snes and Mega Drive era of gaming IMO available CD32 controllers were OK.

1. The NES controllers were uncomfortable, but atleast they didn't feel like some cheap knockoff controller made in a back alley of Hong Kong. Not to mention the design of the pack in controller was horrid, and the other one you post is an MD ripoff.

2. The CD32 was a piece of shit. You can weasel out of this and say "it had potential" or go on and on with hypothetical "but this...but that...but...". The thing is you can say the exact same stuff about ever other console that failed. The Bandai Playdia could've kicked ass, Bandai just didn't have enough cash...

3. The CD32 frequently appears on list of worst systems ever for a reason. It was poorly made and not even cheap enough to justify its purchase over a A1200. The problems that stood in the way of the CD32 being a success were set in stone the day they decided to put through that half baked design. Say all you want about weak cash flow and legal disputes, it failed because it was crap.

I really dont get why you're arguing this. Most people I know who are fans of the Amiga freely admit that the CD32 was a big mistake and hurt the brand name far more than it helped, not to mention they acknowledge how shitty it was.

The SNES can output RGB, so its easy to hook it up to a C64 monitor. (dont be stupid and argue this, I currently have my SNES running on RGB)

@ sieanr

A1200 / CD32 - Super Stardust
http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=345

A1200 / CD32 - Banshee
http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=218

Not bad games for a console with a parent company dying a few months after release.

BTW, most comments I've read from CD32 owners, they loved it.

PS3 vs 360 sales