By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-gen console war: The verdict by mcvuk.com

MikeB said:
@ sieanr

A1200 / CD32 - Super Stardust
http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=345

A1200 / CD32 - Banshee
http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=218

Not bad games for a console with a parent company dying a few months after release.

BTW, most comments I've read from CD32 owners, they loved it.

Even the PCFX had some good games

BTW; most people I know who hated the CD32 had other systems they could compare it to. Really, its widely considered to be an awful system.

Oh, but nice to see you finally managed to read my post and comprehend that the SNES had RGB out

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Okay this thread is about MikeB vs.sieanar

W29 said:
Okay this thread is about MikeB vs.sieanar

Well as long as mikeb can go off track to avoid addressing points he can't back up...

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@LordTheNightKnight

Oh I get it...Just curious on how we are talking about Amiga and we are suppose to be talking about Wii, 360 and the PS3.

What's wrong with you MikeB?!?

@ W29

@LordTheNightKnight

Oh I get it...Just curious on how we are talking about Amiga and we are suppose to be talking about Wii, 360 and the PS3.

I thought sieanr, brought up the Amiga in this thread.

I wonder what's wrong with you.... Peanut sized brain?

[edit] Sorry, but after too much crap you can expect me to counter-attack eventually.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ W29

@LordTheNightKnight

I thought sieanr, brought up the Amiga in this thread.

I wonder what's wrong with you.... Peanut sized brain?

[edit] Sorry, but after too much crap you can expect me to counter-attack eventually.

BURN!!!!

But it was you who decided to harp on and on about the "power" and supposedly "lack" of variety for SNES games. I just thought it was odd given the similarities between the SNES and Amiga that you should lambast the system - so I decided to bring it up and provide you with an excuse to write a treatise with the sole purpose of presenting the "facts" and dispelling "FUD"

Then again, it was you who decided to bring up the clusterfuck of a system known as the CD32, then you decided to actualy defend it. Maybe you're the one with the "peanut sized brain" even though brain size in humans has no real correlation with intelligence.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

@ sieanr

Oh, but nice to see you finally managed to read my post and comprehend that the SNES had RGB out

I wasn't the one who claimed the Snes couldn't connect to a monitor. But not all Snes models support RGB out of the box, that's may be the reason why this person thought this to be the case.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/snes2rgb.htm

But it was you who decided to harp on and on about the "power" and supposedly "lack" of variety for SNES games.

I just provided a personal opinion, I loved Super Mario World, but not all the game gernes I was interested in were well served and the censorship on certain types of games and quite a few games being better or earlier released on the Amiga resulted me into buying way more Amiga games than Snes games.

You simply cannot handle the fact that not everyone agree with you.

CD32 reviews:
http://www.cucug.org/amiga/amiinfo/reviews/CD32.txt

http://www.mways.co.uk/amiga/cd32.php

Sega Mega CD comparison + some background info regarding the comments I made earlier with regard to Commodore's difficulties, their drop of their PC branch and focuss on the Amiga:

http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=amiga_format/magscans/af050_1993_09/017.jpg&c=36862&n=1&filesize=340303

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Why is there so much discussion on the Amiga and SNES in a thread titled "Next-gen console war: The verdict by mcvuk.com?"

Anyways ... Any comparison of the CD32 to the SNES is laughable, the CD32 sold less than 100,000 units worldwide and had (roughly) 50 games ever developed for it whereas the SNES sold (roughly) 50,000,000 units and had hundreds of games (over 50 Million sellers). You might as well argue about how great the nGage was in comparison to the Gameboy Advance ...

MikeB said:
@ sieanr

I wasn't the one who claimed the Snes couldn't connect to a monitor. But not all Snes models support RGB out of the box, that's may be the reason why this person thought this to be the case.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/snes2rgb.htm

O RLY?

IMO having a Snes with monitor support wouldn't have disqualified the console as being a games console.

Call me crazy, but it seems like you claimed the SNES couldn't be hooked up to a monitor here. 

Like a c64 RF monitor... ?

Oh shit, you say basically the same thing again.

Nice try, but no dice.

"I wasn't the one who claimed the Snes couldn't connect to a monitor."

I didn't claim it couldn't connect to a monitor. I was pointing out that it's designed to be played on a TV, while PCs, handhelds, and arcade machines are designed to play on monitors made for them. The monitor point was just a common example AMONG ALL THREE that set them apart from home consoles.

My point is that the Amiga is not a console, monitor vs TV support or not. Gameplay or not. Just about any store, tech company, or tax import laws, would classify it as a PC. Also, comparing the CPU speed to a home console is a bunk comparison unless the console came out ten years after a particular PC (two present consoles excepted).

More specific to my point is that you called the SNES not very strong based SOLELY on CPU speed. You didn't bring up ANYTHING else about its specs, not the CPU cache, not its RAM, its spriting abilities, or the enhancement chips. All the technical discussions you try to bring up about the PS3 vs the 360, and you think ONE SPEC is good enough when discussing other systems?

It doesn't matter how strong the SNES actually is, you do not use ONE STUPID SPEC to compare its power to.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs