By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-gen console war: The verdict by mcvuk.com

For me, I liked dark and scary games as well as adventures. I never stated everyone has to think like me, like you do. I owned an Amiga and for me in general it was a better gaming system, amongst many other uses.

You stated that the SNES sold well because of the exclusive Nintendo games - implying that most people thought like you and ignoring the importance of 3rd party titles for the SNES.

I think 11 if I remember correctly, what's so funny abou that?

When you said disk I thought you were referring to CDs, after all, the discussion was about how CDs on the Amiga made the system superior to the SNES.

Anyway, most of that space was the audio(music, not speech), so whatever.

Lack here reffers to shortage, if there a lack of food that doesn't mean there is no food at all. Understand?

Lack can also mean complete absence of, so you have to give some context to mean "absence of enough" or "complete absence" of something.

Example; the Amiga lacked JRPGS

Everything OK with you?

I'll be back! Tomorrow.

Hmm, should this count as one more time you've ignored things

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

@ sieanr

You stated that the SNES sold well because of the exclusive Nintendo games - implying that most people thought like you and ignoring the importance of 3rd party titles for the SNES.

No I stated 3 points which I think are *primary* reasons why the Snes sold well. Popular franchises, brand and pricing. If you think 3rd party multiplatform support was more of influence, I have no problem with that, I just don't agree.

Anyway, most of that space was the audio(music, not speech), so whatever

No graphics, Amiga mods and especially MIDI don't take up much space on disc.

Example; the Amiga lacked JRPGS

It did, there were some Zelda style games like the Spheris Legacy, Dragon Stone and Legends and other kinds of big RPGs like Amberstar and Ambermoon, but I don't think they were ever translated into Japanese. Amiga gaming was very much focussed on Europe.

Hmm, should this count as one more time you've ignored things

Whatever you like, I just haven't got the time nor energy to respond everytime you think you bring up a valid point.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Sorry but I laughed.. Just started reading this post and more Amiga stuff huh? GD Mikeb let it go.

@ sieanr

The Neo-Geo was designed as Arcade hardware from the outset, selling it at home was secondary and it was never seriously considered for that role. If you want to use the Neo-Geo as an example then why not bring up the Capcom CPS changer?

The Neo Geo was a games console and the most powerful one at the time, that's why I brought it up. Just to point out the Snes wasn't the most powerful game console.

IMO both those boards are more impressive thanks to the variety and quality of games released

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, why do I have to reply to this? It doesn't change the fact that I didn't have a Neo Geo, so if I liked a game, I would still have bought the Amiga version. For example the arcade versoin of the New Zealand Story was more colorful, while the Amiga version was almost an exact port of the still pretty good Atari ST version. This simple game could easily have been pretty much identical to the arcade version on the Amiga:

Amiga (New Zealand Story)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1rEJCa_Ztz4

Arcade
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YViBVvjn5K4

Still Ocean did a relatively good job porting arcade games, maybe they didn't include more colorful graphics to keep the games to fit on a single 880KB Amiga 500 disc.

Other 1 disc arcade ports published by Ocean:
Rodland:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=m-ZE6lxjX68
Pang:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=djhdLcyU_nE
Toki:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoVNYLowa6Q

Not arcade perfect, but the Amiga versions were still the best home versions we could get here in Europe at the time. The NES versions sucked in comparison.

the Amiga wasn't a viable platform later in life due to piracy, aging hardware and better options available to developers[quote]

Yes things went downhill pretty quickly when Commodore bankrupted.

[quote]namely that the SNES is far more similar in design to the Amiga than the PS3

That may be your perspective, in terms of gaming power the Snes (Released in 1990 -1992) is closer specced to the Amiga 1000 (1985) and Amiga 500 (1987) than the PS3 (2006) is.

this reminds me of Halo 3

Why?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ dtewi

What are MikeB and sieanr arguing about anyway?

Basically Sieanr can't handle my opinions and perspectives and is upset that I skipped some of his comments.

I think I have now replied to all of his points, so hopefully he calms down a little.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ sieanr

The Neo-Geo was designed as Arcade hardware from the outset, selling it at home was secondary and it was never seriously considered for that role. If you want to use the Neo-Geo as an example then why not bring up the Capcom CPS changer?

The Neo Geo was a games console and the most powerful one at the time, that's why I brought it up. Just to point out the Snes wasn't the most powerful game console.

Seriously dude, you are in a Business VG site. The NeoGeo AES was the most powerful console of the niche consoles at that time. Hell , PCEngine , an 8 bit ( CPU ), had a bigger userbase than NeoGeo. The cost of NeoGeo AES cartridges were out of mass market.

NeoGeo AES  was an irrilevant console at that time while NeoGeo MVS was one of the most popular arcade system.

I mean anyone can say that GP32 is more powerful than GBA but compare ( in a business analysis ) this two system is fool because one system ( GP32 ) had an irrilevant impact on the market.  

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

@ celine

Seriously dude, you are in a Business VG site. The NeoGeo AES was the most powerful console of the niche consoles at that time. Hell , PCEngine , an 8 bit ( CPU ), had a bigger userbase than NeoGeo. The cost of NeoGeo AES cartridges were out of mass market.

Reread back to know why the Neo Geo was brought up into the discussion. It was argued the Snes was the most powerful dedicated console and was an exception to somebody's "rule" weak consoles win sales wise compared to more powerful consoles.

Of course I agree things like marketing, pricing and many other factors come into play to generate sales.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ celine

Reread back to know why the Neo Geo was brought up into the discussion. It was argued the Snes was the most powerful dedicated console and was an exception to somebody's "rule" weak consoles win sales wise compared to more powerful consoles.

Of course I agree things like marketing, pricing and many other factors come into play to generate sales.

I don't know... Maybe that " rule " is concerning mainstream console ?

For me it is very clear that NeoGeo AES was in a different category than PCEngine , Snes and MegaDrive ( Genesis ). 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

MikeB said:
@ dtewi

What are MikeB and sieanr arguing about anyway?

Basically Sieanr can't handle my opinions and perspectives and is upset that I skipped some of his comments.

I think I have now replied to all of his points, so hopefully he calms down a little.

As brought up in other threads, you have a tendancy to ignore valid points

You also have a tendancy to answer said valid points with something that is in no way related to the discussion at hand, ie "You think the PS3 can render 2.25x as many pixels as the 360?" You answer; "Well, the thing about 1080p is...."

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

@ sieanr

"You think the PS3 can render 2.25x as many pixels as the 360?" You answer; "Well, the thing about 1080p is...."

The way you put it, the question would be strange considering both consoles can output 1080p resolutions. And when addressing 1080p specifically, IMO it has to be clear what you are referring to exactly, FullHD or 1080p in general. IMO technically the PS3 is capable of doing a lot more in 1080p than the XBox 360 technically can, without wanting to attach an absolute figure on how much more powerful I consider the PS3 to be. This would depend on variable issues, like game engine design and platform specific optimizations.

If you are unable to understand my postings, please don't get upset. In the middle ages you would have had a hard time as well, explaining to people the earth isn't flat.

PS3 vs 360 sales