By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More people in US with a HD DVD player than Blu-ray

Lostplanet22 said:
They had a survey that counted of 700 people. They asked them for who you are gonna vote and Obama won; A survey of 700 people can be a very good indication for whole the country.

WOW.  You just boggled my mind. 

I once flipped a coin 701 times and my "survey" told me that Bush would win in 2000.  Guess my coin was a pretty good indicator for the whole country as well -.-

Around the Network
JEDE3 said:
blizzid said:

I agree that the results are skewed, but I think everyone doing math using "300+ million Americans" is doing it wrong. These kinds of figures wouldn't count individuals; they'd count households. (If a man buys a Blu-ray player for his home, his wife is considered a Blu-ray owner as well.) The number of households in the US was around 111 million is 2007. If you do the math again using 111 million instead of 300+ million, the numbers don't look so bad. Still off, but not by orders of magnitude.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Though you might be correct about households it looks like 128 million in '07. 128 * .09 = 11.5 million in US. 11.5 * 1.1 = 12.76million Ps3's in NA then right?

Exactlly. Assuming VGChartz is correct and there are actually 8.73 million PS3s in North America, that would mean they are off by 45%. The math done using 306 million would be 306m * 0.09 * 1.1 = 30.294 million PS3s in North Amerca. That's off by 247%.

45% is just as bad as 247% in this case.

No, it isn't. You only say that because you're trying to argue something that has nothing to do with my post.

blizzid said:
No, it isn't. You only say that because you're trying to argue something that has nothing to do with my post.

BWAHAHA! What? Are you serious? 45% isn't even close. It shows exactly how off the data is. If that is 45% off then the conclusion could be wrong too. 2 + y = 4 and I say y = 3 I'm only 50% off. Bwahahaha. It doesn't matter how far off I was I was still wrong. If I said 5 I would be 250% off... but it doesnt matter because its still the wrong answer.

Around the Network
blizzid said:
JEDE3 said:
blizzid said:

I agree that the results are skewed, but I think everyone doing math using "300+ million Americans" is doing it wrong. These kinds of figures wouldn't count individuals; they'd count households. (If a man buys a Blu-ray player for his home, his wife is considered a Blu-ray owner as well.) The number of households in the US was around 111 million is 2007. If you do the math again using 111 million instead of 300+ million, the numbers don't look so bad. Still off, but not by orders of magnitude.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Though you might be correct about households it looks like 128 million in '07. 128 * .09 = 11.5 million in US. 11.5 * 1.1 = 12.76million Ps3's in NA then right?

Exactlly. Assuming VGChartz is correct and there are actually 8.73 million PS3s in North America, that would mean they are off by 45%. The math done using 306 million would be 306m * 0.09 * 1.1 = 30.294 million PS3s in North Amerca. That's off by 247%.

Considering this, I wouldn't be surprised if they were too high on all of their numbers.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I originally chose HD-DVD because of the movie lineup, the online features (which was mandatory for EVERY HD-DVD made) and the cost. Plus, I liked the fact that HD-DVDs weren't tied to just one region, and you could get import HD-DVDs of Sony hits from all over the globe.

Studio support, not the PS3 or the like, is what killed the format. They wanted a restrictive format - one that was region locked - and got it with Blu-Ray.

I have 2 HD-DVD players - one's a standalone, one is the external drive. I love both of them. I do have Blu-Ray, thanks to my PS3, but that is the only way I would have bought it.

And don't give me 'Blu-Ray is miles ahead' of HD-DVD crap. HD-DVD was the first to hit the 51gb mark, not Blu-Ray. And guess what? HD-DVD didn't offer the audio enhancements as Blu, but offered the SAME EXACT 1080P picture. The exact same for a much lower price.

As I said earlier, HD-DVD still has a huge following. You can buy various HD-DVD movies that would cost 2-3 times more on Blu Ray. There are a few exceptions - 'I am legend' is way more expensive on HD-DVD - I think it was in limited release - and the comp between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray had both of them with BOGO deals, which I miss.

I would love to see a couple studios say 'Let's give HD-DVD a try' when MS goes to HD-DVD for their HD format.

@ Leo-J - what's wrong with buying something that offers the same thing for cheaper? Do you needlessly spending you or your parents' money on a brand? Sorry, but I have other bills to pay and don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg to be entertained. Blu or red, and I still watch a lot of HD-DVDs, I like to come home, relax and just enjoy a movie.

@ Heruamon - yeah, I hit Fry's a few weeks ago and bought Cast Away Blu for $11 and King Kong for $5. Their HD-DVD stock is getting smaller but I would also recommend half.com or even eBay or craigslist to find good HD-DVD deals.

Wyku said:
Probably from lots of uninformed people buying dirt cheap HD-DVD players still kicking around, along with bargain bins of HD-DVD's. I know there's lots of threads on deal watching websites about sales on HD-DVD's that people go nuts for, in the laser disc sort of way lol.

Actually, you are incorrect. I was visiting a cousin who has several hundred laser discs and guess what? They still play fine. He has a Blu Ray, but he played that Laserdisc more than he played the Blu Ray. Unlike you and other ignorant folks who are quick to diss on the format, HD-DVD players, while no longer supported, still can play HD-DVDs, and a fine, fine job playing upconverted movies. And since my 360 has the HDMI outputs, I'm watching everything - especially my HD-DVDs - in full HD.

And what's so wrong with buying 'V for Vendetta' for $6, an external Xbox HD-DVD player for $30 and movies - when the cost of entry for Blu will be at least $225? Let's see - $36 vs. $225 to watch HD movies in 1080P. Hmmm, let me think about this.

I can't believe those kids still talk about betamax, err HDDVD I mean.

Seriously, the HDDVD format died long ago, Blueray won, get over it, crying won't make it come back.

Everybody makes mistakes in life, buying a HDDVD drive was one, now it's time to grow up.

It would be cool if those HDDVD threads could disappear before 2020, or I'll start 2 dreamcast threads every day. (I made a poll)

Tim_Duncan said:
I can't believe those kids still talk about betamax, err HDDVD I mean.

Seriously, the HDDVD format died long ago, Blueray won, get over it.

Everybody makes mistakes in life, buying a HDDVD drive was one, now it's time to grow up.

It would be cool if those HDDVD threads could disappear before 2020, or I'll start 2 dreamcast threads every day. (I made a poll)

You do know Betamax is still used by TV stations, right?

How is it a mistake? A mistake is buying a console for $600 for just one game. Buying an HD-DVD is a mistake if you bought it to play Blu-Rays. As long as there are movies to play on your HD-DVD, and it still works, so how is it a mistake?

Don't tell me - you were one of the misinformed ones who bought a Blu Ray and while it's still very much alive, had to wait so long for past HD-DVD exclusives to hit Blu years later.