By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More people in US with a HD DVD player than Blu-ray

JEDE3 said:
blizzid said:
No, it isn't. You only say that because you're trying to argue something that has nothing to do with my post.

BWAHAHA! What? Are you serious? 45% isn't even close. It shows exactly how off the data is. If that is 45% off then the conclusion could be wrong too. 2 + y = 4 and I say y = 3 I'm only 50% off. Bwahahaha. It doesn't matter how far off I was I was still wrong. If I said 5 I would be 250% off... but it doesnt matter because its still the wrong answer.

I'm dead serious, and this post last post of yours completely proves my point. You're not even arguing with me; you're arguing with some imaginary foe. Of course, you're so busy trying to attack that you can't even take a few seconds to actually read a post and understand what it says.

(Here's a hint: I have never said that the survey results were accurate, or that the survey's conclusion was correct.)

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true ...

HD-DVD was the favoured format for stand alone players because the player was dramatically less expensive, the movies were less expensive, and the movies lacked "Features" (like unskipable ads)

Actually, several Blus I have lack Features - while the HD-DVDs I own do have features - and I can skip ads. What are you referring to, Happy?

that annoyed potential buyers. Blu-Ray won becase the adpotion rate of a new videogame system is much faster than a new movie format, and (even though gamers buy less movies than movie collectors) the vast number of gamers who bought a couple of movies to play in their PS3 pushed Blu-Ray over the top.

Actually, it was the defection of studio support. When Blockbuster, Target and Wal-Mart announced they were discontinuing it, studios started to bolt. True, the PS3 adoption rate was a key factor, the truth is - standalone HD-DVD rates were pummeling Blu Ray rates.)

The side effect of HD-DVD losing was that the player prices were slashed (often below the cost of a upscaling DVD player) and movie prices were slashed (often below the DVD version) - dude, this didn't happen until support hit rockbottom -  resulting in HDDVD being a great bargain if you were willing to acept that you'd have to replace your movies in a couple of years (or live without them); and in some cases movie producers have offered trade-ins for Blu-Ray versions of the movie, and some people have picked up movies like Batman Begins or Transformers for $2 on HD-DVD and converted them to Blu-Ray for $5 a piece. - actually, you just have to send in your HD-DVD cover and guess what - keep the HD-DVD and the case!

Ultimately, the adoption of Blu-Ray is following the same trend that the adoption of most things HD has gone ...

People assumed it would be a smashing success out of the gate, and then they assume that it is only 12 months away from the mainstream desperately wanting it, but most people were satisfied enough with what they had and will wait intil they're "Forced" to upgrade or until there is no benefit for sticking with the technology they have.

madskillz, no offense, but seriously, nothing is released anymore on HDDVD, the studios abandoned the format, Toshiba itself forgot about their own format and declared it dead long ago, so why would people even care about that ?

Where can you still buy HDDVD by the way ? I see none anymore in any shops, while every recent release is on Blueray ?

What is so great about having a drive you can play nothing on ? Or is it a sexual thing for you ? Blueray won, that's life.

(600 $ for a console with no AAA exclusive game in 2009 is too much though, you're right, but the 360 doesn't cost that much so I don't understand what you mean, you can find one for 200$ I think, I agree it has no game anymore though)

Tim_Duncan said:
madskillz, no offense, but seriously, nothing is released anymore on HDDVD, the studios abandoned the format, Toshiba itself forgot about their own format and declared it dead long ago, so why would people even care about that ?

Where can you still buy HDDVD by the way ? I see none anymore in any shops, while every recent release is on Blueray ?

What is so great about having a drive you can play nothing on ? Or is it a sexual thing for you ? Blueray won, that's life.

(600 $ for a console with no AAA exclusive game in 2009 is too much though, you're right, but the 360 doesn't cost that much so I don't understand what you mean, you can find one for 200$ I think, I agree it has no game anymore though)

None taken. Yes, you are correct - no studios are making the movies - but guess what? Movies are movies, and watching a movie in HD is priceless. You can buy an HD-DVD movie for the same price it costs to rent the Blu Ray. In the end - don't like it? Resell it and get your money back.

Look at this another way - you can find an HD-DVD player, and some of them do 1080P and never buy an HD-DVD. More than likey, you'll pay LESS for one than a good upconverting DVD player. And if you decide to buy movies, you can go to Fry's - they have right at 100 films in red, or hop on the Internet and go to eBay or half.com and get titles shipped for $6-7. At Fry's, they have uber specials where you can buy a select group of HD-DVD movies for $5.

In the end, what do you want? Watching a movie in 1080P. And HD-DVD, while dead, offers the cheapiest way to do that. And you aren't losing money, as the player still does a fine job of playing existing DVDs.

About the 'having a drive you can play nothing on ...' Source? There are well over 600 movies for the dead format. For me, I'll look for HD-DVD movies FIRST and then buy Blu if I have to. All of my movies - nearly 40 of them - still play fine. They work great and I'm looking to pick up some older titles when they hit $5 shipped.

Aren't there more devices in America which can stream HD content than there are HD optical players? I mean if you add Xbox 360 + PS3 + Apple TV + HTPC etc it comes up to quite a significant number!

Tease.

Around the Network

Blueray won, HDDVD died, BRDoom thread 12527 closed.

Epoch said:
Lostplanet22 said:
They had a survey that counted of 700 people. They asked them for who you are gonna vote and Obama won; A survey of 700 people can be a very good indication for whole the country.

WOW.  You just boggled my mind.

I once flipped a coin 701 times and my "survey" told me that Bush would win in 2000.  Guess my coin was a pretty good indicator for the whole country as well -.-

Dude that is totally not the same. The media would not have surveys if they are proven wrong occasionaly.

You can pick up 1000 Halo/killzone 2 players and ask witch map is the best and you have a big chance if you would ask a million players that you will have the same endresult.

Dno said:
thats nice but i will care when any new movie comes out for all these HD DVD players... untill then ill be enjoying all my NEW movies on blu-ray

With HD-DVD you can watch normal DVD's in High-Def. You just wont have all of the extras like Blu Ray or HD-DVD had.

11% of Americans owning a HD-DVD players sounds outright wrong. Also, are they counting PS3s as Blu-Ray players?

anybody defending that HD DVD owners grew YoY more than BD are retarded. Anyone who anywhere in their thread said "this makes sense" or "i believe it" and then proceed to waste 5 minutes of their life explaining are retarded. HD DVD hardware CEASED PRODUCTION 16 months ago, the last HD DVD software manufactured was over 12 months ago.

The reason you can still see them is because A) no one wants them, only morons who are too stubborn for their own good will waste money on a technologically inferior product which will have no support for hardware malfunctions or replacements or warranties and B) Toshiba made a ridiculous amount of hardware to try to force sales and offer firesales to unrealistically jumpstart the market and failed. and when we combine points A and B we also see product still left over because the majority of americans dont give a shit about HD DVD anymore (and one may argue never did in the first place) thus product remains at FRY's.....when you see an HD DVD on sale not in a thrift store, youre looking at an HD DVD that was manufactured 12 months ago.

Seriously, no one here even entertaining the thought of this being plausible deserves to post on the subject because theyre ill informed and are simply stopping by to comment because its a slight dig at Sony. Im all for opinions but when your argument consists of nothing with substance and the substance that some think they have by seeing them at fry's is flawed based on my aforementioned points, those people are embarrassing themselves.