By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Check Out 360's 1080p Smooth Streaming Tech Now

disolitude said:
darendt said:
LOL, not quite. The PQ is ok, but not 1080P quality. The movies I get from the PSN look better and can be streamed as well. Its a cool feature, but a PR stunt for sure. When the quality overall is the same as on a BD media, it will be cool. Until then, its no better than what the PS3 already offers its customers. It is however better than what is currently offered on the 360.

What a troll.

PSN movies stream instantly...if they are SD. If you are wathing HD, you need a 20-30 minute head start to avoid the "buffering" pop up.

The main point here is the PSN movies still download in either 1080p,720p or 480i...the Xbox live movies will soon have a variable resolution and quality based on your internet connection. This is what Microsoft is bragging about here...

You people and your Troll comments. Any time its something you dont like you throw your Troll Flag. I can stream HD content and do frequently. What Microsoft stated was "Stream 1080P content" That statement says it will be 1080P all the time, not 720P 0r 480i based on internet connection. So quality IMO wasnt great, even for an animation. I never said it didnt look good, I said it wasnt true 1080P. Both the items on PSN and BD look better today. Will that be the case when Microsoft releases this? We dont know.

Around the Network

How is that 1080p? That looks nothing like 1080p O-O

mM

Holy crap Batman that was damned impressive.

I was downloading a 500mb file for WAW and watching this demo at what it said was 2.75M Quality and looked impressive. I noticed a dip in quality when I momentarily dropped to 350K but the movie ran without so much as a hic and it ramped back up. Waiting for my download to finish to see what happens then, right up to 5M now noticed the dip whilst the file munged my PC after the download but again the movie ran flawlessly.

If I can get that on my Xbox I might just be relocating it again.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

amazing technology.

1080P is only on fullscreen people, you need to ask for 1080p, the site box of course is 720p as 1080p wouldnt fit.

And you need to have an monitor at least 24" full hd to see 1080p with good contrast so doesnt seem bad.

Microsoft really has a good software aplication here. Even I, a ps3 fan can see that. Stop trolling.

Use IE if mozilla firefox doesn't work well people!

WereKitten said:
selnor said:

Although you say many, I'd say for 80% of people out there DVD is still good enough. And because people aren't adopting it like they did DVD, the price just isn't coming down. By the way your prices are different. New DVD films here come out between £9.99 - £12.99 normally. Blu Ray can be anywhere between £17.99 - £29.99 for a normal film. But the worst part is Hard Rain new on DVD is like £2.99. On Blu Ray it's £21.99. That's a massive issue.

I accept there is people who like the Blu Ray in their hand and love the HD thing. But by the time Live has implemented this, many people wont bother with Blu Ray and the price will not get a chance to hardly drop due to non adoption. Even now the Blu Ray section in HMV is about 10% of the size of DVD section. It's literally one row at my local. And Plymouth is now classed as major city with over 300,000 living here.

Amazon.uk shows it different, with new movies coming out at 17.99-19.99 on DVD and 24.99-27.99 on BD before discounts. After discounts it's something around 11-12 for DVD and 16-17 for BD (I checked ten or so newish movies).

As I said what's really absent at the moment is the budget tier. Btw, "Hard Rain" came out in DVD in 2001. It's hardly a good example. Try anything that hasn't been out forever and the price gap will be much smaller.

And again, you speak of the future: "by the time Live has implemented this" and obviously "by the time everybody interested in movies has a good enough internet connection". But BluRay is not something that will happen in the future. It's here and has been for years and is slowly going to be the natural evolutionary upgrade of DVDs. It's not like people will have to "bother" with it: in a few years you won't be able to actually buy a mid-range DVD player in major stores, it will be relegated to dirt-cheap tier.

Today and for the last eight months BluRay provided an excellent way for me and my friends to watch our favourite movies in HD, with multiple audiotracks and subtitles and commentaries and extras, every time we wanted. For a price difference from the DVD that was less than the chips and beers we were having while watching them.

Today, digital distribution is not nearly there for cases like mine, and for a reason or another it will take years to get there for the majority of the world.

Meanwhile, what should we do?

I don't know where you shop for your DVDs. With every new release either ASDA or Tesco sell them for under £10. I buy all the latest films from either one of those. Selnors prices were correct.

Around the Network

While very impressive, I will be sticking with my physical media for the most part until online video play can be sustained above 5mbps. It isn't high enough quality compared to the system I have for watching videos.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Convenience and ease of use score highly though nordlead which may influence you at a latter date.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
kiefer23 said:

I don't know where you shop for your DVDs. With every new release either ASDA or Tesco sell them for under £10. I buy all the latest films from either one of those. Selnors prices were correct.

I don't live in the UK, so that's not where I buy. I was just comparing the DVD and BD prices for new movies.

I checked the online catalog from ASDA And Tesco and for the latest entries (Valkirie, Benjamin Button, Milk, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire) they have more or less the same DVD prices as Amazon: full price is 17.99-19.99, discounted to 12-13 pounds. BD for the same movies is full price 19.99-27.99, discounted to 14-17 pounds for the most part.

The difference being that I'm sure the DVDs will quickly drop in price to less than ten pounds, whereas the BDs will take much more. There's a growing lineup of sub-10 pounds BDs on those very sites, anyway. As I said: the difference is not that big, it's only that BDs still have not the same cheap tier yet.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
kiefer23 said:

I don't live in the UK, so that's not where I buy. I was just comparing the DVD and BD prices for new movies.

I checked the online catalog from ASDA And Tesco and for the latest entries (Valkirie, Benjamin Button, Milk, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire) they have more or less the same DVD prices as Amazon: full price is 17.99-19.99, discounted to 12-13 pounds. BD for the same movies is full price 19.99-27.99, discounted to 14-17 pounds for the most part.

The difference being that I'm sure the DVDs will quickly drop in price to less than ten pounds, whereas the BDs will take much more. There's a growing lineup of sub-10 pounds BDs on those very sites, anyway. As I said: the difference is not that big, it's only that BDs still have not the same cheap tier yet.

Well physically living in the UK, if you paid more than £12.99 for ANY brand new release DVD your friends would tell you you were robbed. Especially if anyone paid £17.99 for a DVD here, that is daylight robbery.

Ive not paid more than £10.99 for year and a half now for any DVD. Even 2 weeks after Transformers came out. I got 2 disc version for £8.99. That was in HMV.

selnor said:
WereKitten said:
kiefer23 said:

Well physically living in the UK, if you paid more than £12.99 for ANY brand new release DVD your friends would tell you you were robbed. Especially if anyone paid £17.99 for a DVD here, that is daylight robbery.

Ive not paid more than £10.99 for year and a half now for any DVD. Even 2 weeks after Transformers came out. I got 2 disc version for £8.99. That was in HMV.

You understand that I don't deny your anedoctes. I can only bring the prices I find online as evidence that the statistical rule on the UK market (according to those big sites) is not 9-13 pounds on DVD vs 17-29 pounds for a BD as you claimed.

If we want to resort to anedoctes I found some BDs at 16 euros about one month after they were out at full price, but anedoctes are light in statistical value.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman