By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Check Out 360's 1080p Smooth Streaming Tech Now

WereKitten said:
selnor said:
WereKitten said:
kiefer23 said:

I don't know where you shop for your DVDs. With every new release either ASDA or Tesco sell them for under £10. I buy all the latest films from either one of those. Selnors prices were correct.

I don't live in the UK, so that's not where I buy. I was just comparing the DVD and BD prices for new movies.

I checked the online catalog from ASDA And Tesco and for the latest entries (Valkirie, Benjamin Button, Milk, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire) they have more or less the same DVD prices as Amazon: full price is 17.99-19.99, discounted to 12-13 pounds. BD for the same movies is full price 19.99-27.99, discounted to 14-17 pounds for the most part.

The difference being that I'm sure the DVDs will quickly drop in price to less than ten pounds, whereas the BDs will take much more. There's a growing lineup of sub-10 pounds BDs on those very sites, anyway. As I said: the difference is not that big, it's only that BDs still have not the same cheap tier yet.

Well physically living in the UK, if you paid more than £12.99 for ANY brand new release DVD your friends would tell you you were robbed. Especially if anyone paid £17.99 for a DVD here, that is daylight robbery.

Ive not paid more than £10.99 for year and a half now for any DVD. Even 2 weeks after Transformers came out. I got 2 disc version for £8.99. That was in HMV.

You understand that I don't deny your anedoctes. I can only bring the prices I find online as evidence that the statistical rule on the UK market (according to those big sites) is not 9-13 pounds on DVD vs 17-29 pounds for a BD as you claimed.

If we want to resort to anedoctes I found some BDs at 16 euros about one month after they were out at full price, but anedoctes are light in statistical value.

I understand your point. However internet sites always have RRP as some obscure high price. When they will 99% of the time actually sell for 60-70% less than that.

In the high street we never see the RRP if the price is lower from that shop anyway. But it's more common never to see a DVD for £17.99 than it is to eat hot dinners here in UK retail. Obviously that excludes boxsets and series sets like Sopranos.

Around the Network

This is very impressive.

Still think streaming has problems in that some places you pay for bandwidth, making an HD movie rental almost as expensive as buying it on BD. Also the fact that you have to be connected to watch the movie is an issue if you're away from home, and for your average connection to continuously get 1080p won't be possible for a few years to come, but even if they can do 720p it'll definitely take some market share from Blu-Ray.

how much would it cost to stream one film?

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Slimebeast said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Does anybody know where the server I just connected to is?

It probably won't be in Germany (my country) so is there a chance of a even better quality, when the servers are up and running in my country?

Yes, it's actually in Lederhosen. Not far from where you live at all.

Damn, I thought it might be in Smörebröd or even in knäckebröd.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

just a quick question,surely the companies that made the film woudnt want to support this because woudnt they get far less money out of it,or is that how it works?

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
selnor said:
WereKitten said:
selnor said:
WereKitten said:
kiefer23 said:

I don't know where you shop for your DVDs. With every new release either ASDA or Tesco sell them for under £10. I buy all the latest films from either one of those. Selnors prices were correct.

I don't live in the UK, so that's not where I buy. I was just comparing the DVD and BD prices for new movies.

I checked the online catalog from ASDA And Tesco and for the latest entries (Valkirie, Benjamin Button, Milk, Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire) they have more or less the same DVD prices as Amazon: full price is 17.99-19.99, discounted to 12-13 pounds. BD for the same movies is full price 19.99-27.99, discounted to 14-17 pounds for the most part.

The difference being that I'm sure the DVDs will quickly drop in price to less than ten pounds, whereas the BDs will take much more. There's a growing lineup of sub-10 pounds BDs on those very sites, anyway. As I said: the difference is not that big, it's only that BDs still have not the same cheap tier yet.

Well physically living in the UK, if you paid more than £12.99 for ANY brand new release DVD your friends would tell you you were robbed. Especially if anyone paid £17.99 for a DVD here, that is daylight robbery.

Ive not paid more than £10.99 for year and a half now for any DVD. Even 2 weeks after Transformers came out. I got 2 disc version for £8.99. That was in HMV.

You understand that I don't deny your anedoctes. I can only bring the prices I find online as evidence that the statistical rule on the UK market (according to those big sites) is not 9-13 pounds on DVD vs 17-29 pounds for a BD as you claimed.

If we want to resort to anedoctes I found some BDs at 16 euros about one month after they were out at full price, but anedoctes are light in statistical value.

I understand your point. However internet sites always have RRP as some obscure high price. When they will 99% of the time actually sell for 60-70% less than that.

In the high street we never see the RRP if the price is lower from that shop anyway. But it's more common never to see a DVD for £17.99 than it is to eat hot dinners here in UK retail. Obviously that excludes boxsets and series sets like Sopranos.

The Valkyrie price of £12 is a common price although £11 is also. The additional £5/6 you pay for BD version is actually pretty steep and although that is an improvement.

An argument often used is the additional content as the cheaper versions of the DVD tend to be just the movie whereas the BD version has additional content. I personallly find this weak as the collectors edition if you like is often sold at the 11/12 £ price in the UK and again 5/6 £ for additional content is also steep. This obviously in addition with the technology is the big barrier and why the consumer would of been served better by the DVD/HD DVD combo solution that was rearing its head. It is a shame the the technical argument for BD plus Sony dominance in the movie houses meant the consumer had to lose out. Obviously if you were a PS3 this was good news but ask yourself if this was such good news if you did not have the PS3.

Anyway we digress, this solution will again pile more pressure onto the BD media couple this with the recent announcement in the UK that its biggest ISP provider will be upgrading at not cost to 20mbs for all its customers (Obviously that is rate adaptive) and the cable companies are now pushing 50mbs services it only makes this smooth streaming solution more attractive and I expect to see this delivered to my BT Vision box in the near future. Currently on my BT Vision box I have to make a concious decision to pre download the movie coulple that with increased cost and guess what, I do not.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
NKAJ said:
just a quick question,surely the companies that made the film woudnt want to support this because woudnt they get far less money out of it,or is that how it works?

Digital content delivery is already a tried and tested delivery mechanism this just makes it better. All the major UK providers supply films on demand, this allows them to supply better quality films.

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
NKAJ said:

This question is an interesting one as with the rise of the on demand services such as the iPlayer the service providers have been insisting that somebody should pay for this bandwidth and in the case of the iPlayer it should be the content supplier. This widescale introduction of a service like this will only add fuel to this argument. Couple this with network shaping by the service providers and the increasing resentment at least in the UK of having their bandwidth shaped and you have a lively debate.

welshbloke said:
NKAJ said:

This question is an interesting one as with the rise of the on demand services such as the iPlayer the service providers have been insisting that somebody should pay for this bandwidth and in the case of the iPlayer it should be the content supplier. This widescale introduction of a service like this will only add fuel to this argument. Couple this with network shaping by the service providers and the increasing resentment at least in the UK of having their bandwidth shaped and you have a lively debate.

Better to make some money from advertising and lesser fees than get nothing from rampant piracy.  My music needs are satisfied with Vidzone and Spotify hopefully something similar will happen with movies.

The funny thing is my ISP would throttle my speed by half if if used this but I could torrent it overnight with no restriction.

welshbloke said:
Convenience and ease of use score highly though nordlead which may influence you at a latter date.

sure, but I have netflix streaming, and various online TV stations streaming in HD that looked almost as good, but with a slightly longer start up and the occasional hickup if my connection gets poor (rarely). While convenient I rarely use them and much rather prefer watching TV over the air and my movies on the Blu-Ray disc that showed up in the mail that day.

As I said, it is fairly impressive, but I probably won't be using it unless they replace netflixs current system with it and even then I don't watch streaming off netflix that often.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)