By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 13 vs Tales of Graces

dahuman said:
pearljammer said:
dahuman said:
pearljammer said:
dahuman said:
pearljammer said:

That's a bit unfair, wouldn't you think?

There are plenty of RPGs I prefer over several main installments of Final Fantasy; Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest VIII, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, FFT are all, in my opinion, better than FF VII and VIII.

good choices

I'm surprised that I missed Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger though.

on that note, it's too bad SoM3 never came out of Japan, that game was pretty damn good, I think I'll just label you as a "mostly" Square Fanatic instead.

I agree, it was pretty good.

I don't think I'd agree with any label you'd try to apply. Surely you can't accurately do so from only hearing a few preferences. True, I loved just about all of their older stuff, but honestly... what JRPG fan didn't?

To be honest, I much prefer the efforts of Atlus, NIS, Intelligent Systems and especially Level-5 over Square for the past 7-8 years.

there were ones that rivaled them which were never released out of Japan =/ one example being that ToP was easily just as good as Chrono Trigger or FF6, I've always loved Breath of Fire series as well. there were a lot of good JRPGs during the SNES days or PSone days overall on top of alot of SRPGs that never went out of Japan either. you also missed Valkyrie Profile btw, and I guess Star Ocean is pretty much just a Tales clone so not much to say there.

I loved both the Lufia and the BoF series but didn't like them near as much as the FF's of the time.

Valkyrie Profile... I like it. But it just didn't stick with me much. Same can be said for the Star Oceans, except for Last Hope... That was just dreadful.

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
According to the arithmetic I was taught in elementary school 8.5 > 8.2 and 9.5 is definitely > than 8.2.

So...numerical IGN scores are absolute determinations of quality, and equate absolutely, and relatively to each other?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

we don't know that much about Tales of Graces, but if it's tales of symphonia combat which i find great, i'll most likely prefer it

maybe should include FF CB which is also great as it seems

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

There is absolutely no competition here Final Fantasy XIII will win in every aspect.

Soriku I completely disagree Nomura's Final Fantasy designs are his best.

FFXIII, you can see by just looking at it. Musical score, Pretty graphics, great voice acting. FF series is just high quality game.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
txrattlesnake said:
According to the arithmetic I was taught in elementary school 8.5 > 8.2 and 9.5 is definitely > than 8.2.

So...numerical IGN scores are absolute determinations of quality, and equate absolutely, and relatively to each other?

yes...especially when what is under discussion matches up so closely with  metacritic, (I think 4 out of 5 of the listed FF games also have 9+ Metacritic reviews.  I also believe that none of the Tales games have a 9 at Metacritic.  Nor do any of the Tales games have a Metacritic score as high as FFX-2 the one FF game I listed with a Metacritic score lower than 9.  Furthermore, I think if you look at Metacritic scores other FF games have 9+ review scores eg.  FFVIII.

txrattlesnake said:

List of Highest Rated Tales Games from IGN

Tales of Destiny II -- 8.5 PS1
Tales of Symphonia -- 8.5 Gamecube
Tales of the Abyss -- 8.3 PS2
Tales of Vesperia -- 8.2 360 Is the best game in the entire franchise. 8.2 is a joke.
Tales of Legendia -- 7.7 PS2

List of Highest Rated Final Fantasies from IGN

Final Fantasy VII -- 9.5 -- PS1 Most overrated game of all time.
Final Fantasy X -- 9.5 -- PS2
Final Fantasy X-2 -- 9.5 -- PS2 Took the excellent setting of FFX and completey ruined it.
Final Fantasy XII -- 9.5 -- PS2 Excellent concept, awful exexcution
Final Fantasy IX -- 9.2 -- PS1

So, one can see that to even begin to compete Tales of Graces will have to better than the best Tales games Symphonia and Destiny II, but I still think if it manages to do that Graces will only wind up being a 9.0 at best. On the other hand, I think the PS3 version of FFXIII will be the first 10 game at IGN since GTA IV and MGS 4, so I defintely give the nod to FFXIII.

No matter what the quality of the game actually is, a mainline FF game almost never scores below a 9.  FFIX and FFX are leagues ahead of VII,X-2, and XII yet they have the same score range.

Here are the Metacritic rankings for comparison. I added in Persona since the Tales series has yet to have as good a game as Persona 3 Fes or Persona 4.

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IX -- PS1 -- 94
Final Fantasy VII -- PS1 -- 92
Final Fantasy X -- PS2 -- 92
Final Fantasy XII -- PS2 -- 92
Final Fantasy VI Advance -- GBA -- 92
Final Fantasy VIII --PS1 -- 90
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance -- GBA -- 87
Final Fantasy XI -- PS2 -- 85
Final Fantasy X-2 -- PS2 -- 85
Final Fantasy IV -- DS -- 85
Final Fantasy IV Advance -- GBA -- 85
Final Fantasy V Advance -- GBA -- 83
Final Fantasy Tactics -- PS1 -- 83
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII -- PSP -- 83

Persona Series

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 -- PS2 -- 90
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES -- PS2 -- 89
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 --PS2 --86
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment -- PS1 -- 83
Persona -- PS1 -- 78

Tales of Series

Tales of Symphonia -- Gamecube -- 86
Tales of Eternia -- PSP -- 82
Tales of Vesperia -- 360 -- 81
Tales of Phantasia -- GBA -- 76
Tales of Legendia -- PS2 -- 72
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World -- Wii -- 68
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology -- PSP -- 66

Still Vesperia isn't the highest rated Tales game and it is one point lower than the IGN score here.

Darc Requiem said:
txrattlesnake said:

Tales of Vesperia -- 8.2 360 Is the best game in the entire franchise. 8.2 is a joke.

Final Fantasy X-2 -- 9.5 -- PS2 Took the excellent setting of FFX and completey ruined it.

So, one can see that to even begin to compete Tales of Graces will have to better than the best Tales games Symphonia and Destiny II, but I still think if it manages to do that Graces will only wind up being a 9.0 at best. On the other hand, I think the PS3 version of FFXIII will be the first 10 game at IGN since GTA IV and MGS 4, so I defintely give the nod to FFXIII.

No matter what the quality of the game actually is, a mainline FF game almost never scores below a 9.  FFIX and FFX are leagues ahead of VII,X-2, and XII yet they have the same score range.

Your opinion... though I agree with X-2.

Darc Requiem said:
txrattlesnake said:

Maybe, but Yuna, Rikku, and Paine are hot!  And so is the leader of the rival sphere hunters.  The scene where Yuna gives her a massage is priceless!

Added my own two cents to your FFX-2 comment.