By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ninja Blade is a fun game - reviews were wrong.... AGAIN!

lol. Tis what me and few others have been saying for months now. Glad to have you on bourad DirtyP2002...

Around the Network

IM enjoying it. Instant action, decent story and a lot of giant boss fights.
So far its more fun than DMC4.

mysticD said:
It's $20.00 at Toys R Us they also have buy 1 get 2nd one for 20% off ... so I got it for $16.00 after buying Fallout 3 expansion pack.

I haven't open it yet though ....

It was already on the bargain shelf for under $30 at Target. Not a good sign for such a new game, mediocre reviews or not. Maybe most people figured this would be more like Ninja Gaiden II, which didn't exactly explode in sales either. I bought NGII and didn't spend much more than an hour playing it...

Is it the genre or the games themselves?

greenmedic88 said:
mysticD said:
It's $20.00 at Toys R Us they also have buy 1 get 2nd one for 20% off ... so I got it for $16.00 after buying Fallout 3 expansion pack.

I haven't open it yet though ....

It was already on the bargain shelf for under $30 at Target. Not a good sign for such a new game, mediocre reviews or not. Maybe most people figured this would be more like Ninja Gaiden II, which didn't exactly explode in sales either. I bought NGII and didn't spend much more than an hour playing it...

Is it the genre or the games themselves?

This is nothing like ninja gaiden. Ninja gaiden is god for hardcore gamers...but everyone else sucks the big one cause that game rapes you sideways. Ninja blade is like a Wii version of Ninja Gaiden. Approachable, forgiving and offering a generally fun experience...

So it's a bit of a walk through then. Maybe that's why.

Curious to see if the game is popular at rental or if the Blockbusters only bought a handful of copies to rent out.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
I don't think that you having fun with a game makes reviews wrong. They only slated it as below average according to meta. I've enjoyed tons of games that were below average, doesn't mean that reviews are wrong. Most games are fun, an average game is fun, so you having fun with a below average game is not a huge surprise.

As an example, I have fun with Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars, but that doesn't mean that the meta score or my own review score are wrong.

Most people don't care about that though.  They just want their opinions validated by reviewers.

By the way, if you guys like the huge monsters from Ninja Blade (which I agree make the game stand out from other action games) you should check out Demon's Souls. It's also got huge monsters. Some of them actually look similar. Both games were developed by From Software, so maybe they had some of the same crazy artists working on both games. But you fight them in totally different ways, since it's an action RPG rather than an action game... it's usually some combination of solving puzzles, figuring out their weak spots, and just running and rolling around trying not to get hit while looking for openings. Also, you can fight all of them in online coop if you want, which adds a lot.

@greenmedic88

I think that its performance is relative to the amount of new advertising MS put in to it, which wasn't much as I never saw any commercials or print ads.

Its a new IP with limited to none advertising and no hype. Its going to sell bad...

I dont even think better reviews would have helped. One thing I am pretty sure of though...it wasn't an expensive game to make. So while MS prolly lost some money by publishing it, they didn't lose much...

Ninja Blade is probably an excellent game for fans of interactive movies such as Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Heavenly Sword, and God of War.

However fans of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden will likely hate it with a passion. Ninja Blade is essentially a QTE fest that takes no skill to master at all, and has no real depth to it's combat engine. Some people love that kind of gameplay, others hate it.

I enjoyed Ninja Blade. Great as a rental.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!