By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looking for a good old school RPG.

Elder Scrolls - Oblivion.
Only RPG Ive ever loved.

Around the Network

For Diablo clone try Sacred II, the PC version has most of its bugs fixed by now.

For recent WRPG, I'd go with The Witcher, its an excellent WRPG that came out of Europe a year or so back. If you haven't play Planescape Torment, I'd STRONGLY recommend you get the game somehow legal or not, its so good that you simply have to give it a go.

Also (you probably are gonna get this anways but...) wait for Dragon Age: Origin, the spiritual successor of BG from Bioware :)

mibuokami said:
For Diablo clone try Sacred II, the PC version has most of its bugs fixed by now.

For recent WRPG, I'd go with The Witcher, its an excellent WRPG that came out of Europe a year or so back. If you haven't play Planescape Torment, I'd STRONGLY recommend you get the game somehow legal or not, its so good that you simply have to give it a go.

Also (you probably are gonna get this anways but...) wait for Dragon Age: Origin, the spiritual successor of BG from Bioware :)

I forgot about Sacred II. I might pick that up when I am done with Jade Empires.

I have played all the Black Isle stuff, so Planescape Torment has been played :).

If you like Diablo clones, one of the oldest ones I played that I liked was DarkStone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone

I played it when it came out, so no clue how well it holds up to todays games, but it was fun 10 years ago :)

Oh, and Dragon Age: Origin is a preorder game for me :)

Damn. Am I the only one who actually thought of like...yaknow...old RPGs?

Here are a few that I loved:

NES:

- Final Fantasy
- Dragon Warrior
- Ultima Exodus

SNES:

- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana
- Final Fantasy 2-6
- Earthbound
- Super Mario RPG

Turbografx CD
- Ys Book 1&2

Just to name a few ;)

Well, tehsage, he did ask for new ones belonging to the old school. I would assume that's why he turned down most JRPGs out of hand.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
mibuokami said:

I forgot about Sacred II. I might pick that up when I am done with Jade Empires.

I have played all the Black Isle stuff, so Planescape Torment has been played :).

If you like Diablo clones, one of the oldest ones I played that I liked was DarkStone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone

I played it when it came out, so no clue how well it holds up to todays games, but it was fun 10 years ago :)

Oh, and Dragon Age: Origin is a preorder game for me :)

Black Isle was the best RPG developer ever! I'll check out DarkStone but I have very limited gaming time and too many game to play already so I doubt I'll give it more than a passing glance unless its very good.

Give the Witcher a go, it has a very old school feel to it which I think you'll like.

Mass Effect!

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Khuutra said:
Well, tehsage, he did ask for new ones belonging to the old school. I would assume that's why he turned down most JRPGs out of hand.

I mainly turned down most jrpg's, because they don't bring back the old days like the wrpg's.

I grew up playing Ultima, Bards Tale, Might and Magic, and Wizardry, so WRPG's appeal more to my liking.

TheRealMafoo said:

Diablo I and II

I recommend Median XL:  http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/

It's a total conversion mod for Diablo 2.  Every class has 6 new skill trees, uber skills, and more.  The entire game is filled with new enemies, new areas, totally new items, and lots and lots of challenging super areas.  It is simply amazing.

PS:  Titan's Quest is a load of crap.  MXL pees on it and sets it on fire in a quality comparison.

Have you played The Bard's tale? I see you have already bought Jade Empire, I really liked it. Mass effect is another one.