By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm opening a Gamers Center!!!

The best advice I can give is be smart. A place near me was called "Wired Warfare" which did OK, but due to financial troubles, sold to Area 51, which is going under right after perchase. This is because they abanonded their core audience and basically changed everything. Best tips.....

1)Know your audience: Area 51 flopped by removing computer, and overcharging for products. The place was hoping even late at night, but as Area 51, no one comes in.

2)Have producst: Another weakness was no items like Bawls or Monsters. Energy drinks that sell well with gamers. This can make up profit loses in other areas, and will sell well with all types of gamers. You should proboly sell soda and candy of some kind

3)Keep it focuses: Another weakness was switching computers oyut for 360s. Was it a terrible idea. Not so much, but they over did it. If you have a console, it might be nice, but it's not going to be what attracts customers. The PC idea worked because LANing is hard and clumbersome. Table top games can be harder since they need a good deal of space. If you get any console, get a Wii. This is the only one that will attract people specifically. A little more on this

4)Advertise: It doesn't have to be much. Just flyers around town and such. That should help. I mention the Wii since people seem to love playi9ng it. Bars even have Wii Sports tournamnts, so it might have people come in.

Twester gave the best advise, so do well to listen to him.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
Seriously, when Brawl comes out get yourself a copy and run tournaments......weekly tournaments...

Daily tournaments....

chipistronkin said:
I'm in the business plan process right now, and there was one gamer center here in PR but it died because one of the owners started cursing at one of the biggest gamer community here "Data Juegos", and lost a lot of clients, and also because they had no Beer. Thank you for the tips, I have already planned to place the tables for board and card games but didn't know how much to charge and also a space for lan parties and tournaments. Demos is very good also, didn't think of that. Anime conventions will also be accounted for. And playstation 3 is not that good then? I was thinking of putting 3 consoles but Ill go for 1 until any good competitive game comes out. Thank you again for all the useful info, with this I can have more concrete info on what to buy and what to do...

Holy crap I just hope I read that wrong but do not have or allow alcohol at your place. It is the dumbest possible thing you can do. People 21+ will always be hanging out at your store but the people that buy the most are going to be in the ranges from 6-12. If you have alcohol your business will die because those kids either just can't be there (since it would be a bar) or the parents wouldn't allow their kids to go because they don't want their kids to be around drunks. Also, drunks around computers and collectibles is just a bad idea.

Stick to all flavors of cokes (or sodas whatever you call them), candy, and several different kinds of energy drinks.

You should use the EYE OF JUDGEMENT, and make tournaments.. whats the point of making daily tournaments if you can do one online?

mM