By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bungie Responds to 640p Claims

W29 said:

You Owe me 80p!

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels.

Wow so should this settle the dispute over why 720p wasn't used. And to be honest I am a 360 owner and Halo 3 owner, I see no difference at all.

how many games in the 360 and PS3 make use of HDR???

BTW This is HDR in FarCry (Non-HDR first, HDR second):

Just HDR

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

Does it really matter what resolution it is at? Remember the good old days where we played games in 640x480 resolution? And they still looked great?

Well anyways, HD resolution on consoles is pathetic compared to computer monitors.

You can get a great computer monitor resolution of 1900x1200. That is way better than 1080p.

Just throwing that out there.

why is this even a topic let alone about a dozen, I don't like halo, but any competent game from the past 8 years has not looked bad, wake me up when soul calibur's graphic magically look worse then they did originally,
so unless halo 3 has massive framerate issues or rediculous gritches it looks great, I really don't think a handfull of pixels will break the game

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snesboy said:
Does it really matter what resolution it is at? Remember the good old days where we played games in 640x480 resolution? And they still looked great?

Well anyways, HD resolution on consoles is pathetic compared to computer monitors.

You can get a great computer monitor resolution of 1900x1200. That is way better than 1080p.

Just throwing that out there.

Heck, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen had resolutions of 320x240, or 256x224 for the Nintendo systems.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Has anyone posted this comparison video yet?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/19592.html

Direct in-game multiplayer video comparison between Halo 2 and Halo 3.  Decide for yourself if 640p is good enough.

Around the Network
Entroper said:

Has anyone posted this comparison video yet?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/19592.html

Direct in-game multiplayer video comparison between Halo 2 and Halo 3. Decide for yourself if 640p is good enough.

It's Halo 3 beta, actually.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I got around to buying the game and I must say I'm pretty disappointed with the visuals so far.

I can't believe they're not using any antialiasing considering how low the performance hit is on a 360. I don't care much about it rendering at 1152x640 but no MSAA is just terrible. Most developers will have their title rejected if they submit it without MSAA, but I guess Bungie gets to slack a little. Halo3 is a jaggiesfest on a 52" lcd. =/

On the art side I think the starting jungle looks a bit crappy. Can't really put my finger on what's wrong but it's like all the little bits of art aren't really fitting together to make something beautiful. Hopefully it looks better later.

@ MikeB: You always entertaining, and make posts Fun to read.

Halo3 looks good, but based on that beta build looks a bit dated compared to current PC games, so if anyone’s worried about a console becoming outdated, then buy a PC and keep forking money into it.

Although I prefer a Xbox360 over a PS3, Halo3 is showing some of the limitations that the Xbox has (although the PS3 has not provided anything better to date). I think we are just about to hit the ceiling in the capabilities of the XBOX360 (maybe at a guess we can get 10-15% better in performance optimization)

Developers however can give you impression of better performance with better level layout, optimized model designs, better LOD, and improved lighting and shader techniques which I strongly believe will ensure the Xbox360 will be head to head with the PS3 throughout the consoles lifetime, if not slightly in front.

Halos success comes down to how fun it is, not the resolution it is run in, and I think the dev’s made the decision that creating a better atmosphere with better lighting and effects was more beneficial than increasing the native resolution and I agree with this. Gamers should be worried about how great the game is, not how many polys or pixels it has. 

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

Taz42 said:
I got around to buying the game and I must say I'm pretty disappointed with the visuals so far.

I can't believe they're not using any antialiasing considering how low the performance hit is on a 360. I don't care much about it rendering at 1152x640 but no MSAA is just terrible. Most developers will have their title rejected if they submit it without MSAA, but I guess Bungie gets to slack a little. Halo3 is a jaggiesfest on a 52" lcd. =/

On the art side I think the starting jungle looks a bit crappy. Can't really put my finger on what's wrong but it's like all the little bits of art aren't really fitting together to make something beautiful. Hopefully it looks better later.

I thought anti-aliasing was mandatory too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Taz42 said:

You can't always fit anti-aliasing. It does take up a fair amount of memory.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs