By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: Microsoft has lost control of the NATAL hype

SDF is a joke site, made specifically because Sony is losing so hard. The owner of the site also owns some Wii60 site.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

You don't get it. But hey you are posting Malstrom... I should have known.

Ok, let's put it in a simpler way: Malstrom is unapologetically backing Nintendo on everything, which includes saying "they'll win!". It turns out Nintendo won, so in retrospect it makes him look good. He didn't acurately predict anything, he was just doing his pr job for nintendo and boy it happened that Nintendo won. Sonydefenseforce does the same Malstrom does... if the ps3 would have won, sonydefenseforce would in retrospect look good too. Got it now?

You are clearly lost, he  predicted why nintendo would win, nintendo didn't win because of some luck of the draw, they won because of their business strategy, and he clearly showed why that strategy would win, and its panned out just as he said it would for Nintendo, so you really don't know what you are talking about.

Try actually reading all of his articles before you post

Oh god you still don't get it. Keep reading Malstrom, it'll help with that.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Avinash_Tyagi said:

You are clearly lost, he  predicted why nintendo would win, nintendo didn't win because of some luck of the draw, they won because of their business strategy, and he clearly showed why that strategy would win, and its panned out just as he said it would for Nintendo, so you really don't know what you are talking about.

Can you point me to some actual specific predictions made before Nintendo's strategy revealed itself successful? Because the articles I see are hindsight ones from mid 2008.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Can you point me to some actual specific predictions made before Nintendo's strategy revealed itself successful? Because the articles I see are hindsight ones from mid 2008.

from 2006

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/author.php?author=8

from 2007

http://malstrom.50webs.com/theblueoceanarticles.htm

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Bitmap Frogs said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Ok, let's put it in a simpler way: Malstrom is unapologetically backing Nintendo on everything, which includes saying "they'll win!". It turns out Nintendo won, so in retrospect it makes him look good. He didn't acurately predict anything, he was just doing his pr job for nintendo and boy it happened that Nintendo won. Sonydefenseforce does the same Malstrom does... if the ps3 would have won, sonydefenseforce would in retrospect look good too. Got it now?

Oh god you still don't get it. Keep reading Malstrom, it'll help with that.

No i'm afraid you still don't get it, he was talking about Nintendo's disruption strategy back in 2006, before the Wii launched, Nintendo's disruption strategy has panned out as he said it would.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

LOL. Is Malstrom a real person? I could only see a retarded robot writing such tripe.

@Bitmap_frog

A system of returns doesn't work if used on observations.

1. It's a blog so a journalist format isn't a standard, the reader can only hope for intelligibility.
2. Observations are usually done in hindesight lest they be predictions.
3. The line, you mind adding a link to the whole writing because there is a lot of context missing from your little excerpt that seems fine as a standalone but looks can and are deceiving.
4. Fanboy would mean Malstrom has feelings for Nintendo beyond that of business. He can be a fanatic all he wants on his blog but if your going to label him any fanboy then it should be a retro junky.
5. Everything Malstrom views is from a consumer stance, not a business model, not a developers wet dream, not a internet fanatics fetish and not a PR stint. The man explains his observations and adds a little opinion. If you want non-opinionated pieces from him then I'd guess you should look at his articles rather than his blogs; he claims his articles are more inclined to be influenced by inaccurate perceptions and not sublime opinions.
6. Malstrom is one person, compared to paid industry analyzing firms who usually have teams and archived resources any prediction he could make would be looked at with scrutiny.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Bitmap Frogs said:

There is a difference between a prediction, and an analysis. 

Anyone can pull random sales numbers out of his mind, vgchartz forum members are espcially good at it. 

But the actual winning for a console is not random. There are reasons for it, and Malstrom gave these reasons. His theory of the Wii following a disruptive strategy was later confirmed by both Scott Anthony, disruption expert, and Iwata.

A year ago, he wrote how Nintendo is responding to expected Sony and Microsoft motion controllers, and a few days ago, Iwata told that he expected these a year ago.

This is analysis.  

It is better if someone's numbers are a bit off, but the analysis makes sense, than randomly picking up the winner. 

The Ghost of RubangB said:
SDF is a joke site, made specifically because Sony is losing so hard. The owner of the site also owns some Wii60 site.

Malstrom's blog is starting to give it a run for its money.  I mean seriously, are you going to start defending claims like Project Natal being a response to the Eyetoy and not Nintendo's Wii?  That everything Microsoft does is in response to Sony not Nintendo?  I mean those are the claims that Malstrom is making in order to back up his rhetoric.  Also these aren't claims made last year, they were made by him last month.  

He called the Wii but his hatred of HD consoles, Microsoft, core gamers, etc causes him to make some pretty stupid statements.  This article is full of them.  He bashes Spielberg and claims to know what the guy is thinking, I mean what the hell is up with that?  He claims that Natal's hype is out of control and later says nobody swallowed the hype?  And you have people agreeing with all of it, well tell me how in hell can someone agree with two statements that are completely opposed to each other?

Nobody knows how Project Natal will turn out, and if you think Malstrom has some kind of special insight about Microsoft and the Xbox 360 then you should read all his other predictions about the console.  Hell I've pointed out cases where he contradicts himself and it's like talking to a brick wall with Malstrom supporters.  Bitmap Frogs also pointed out some of the predictions Malstrom made about the system that ended up being totally off the mark. 

Yet no matter how much we discover he got wrong we'll still have these ridiculous copy and pastes of his blog by people like Avinash_Tyagi that seem to worship the guy.  Arguing with him over Malstrom is like arguing with the most devout unquestioning Christian about the Bible.  No matter what is said they'll simply refuse to look at anything that might make them question their beliefs.  It's annoying to say the least when we're discussing the articles Malstrom is posting now and Avinash continuously reverts back to the same tired Wii prediction that Malstrom actually got right.

Alterego-X said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

There is a difference between a prediction, and an analysis. 

Anyone can pull random sales numbers out of his mind, vgchartz forum members are espcially good at it. 

But the actual winning for a console is not random. There are reasons for it, and Malstrom gave these reasons. His theory of the Wii following a disruptive strategy was later confirmed by both Scott Anthony, disruption expert, and Iwata.

A year ago, he wrote how Nintendo is responding to expected Sony and Microsoft motion controllers, and a few days ago, Iwata told that he expected these a year ago.

This is analysis.  

It is better if someone's numbers are a bit off, but the analysis makes sense, than randomly picking up the winner. 

Wow, I forgot about that part.

I remember reading a horrible NY post article where the writer who was analyzing the Obama speach in Cairo went so far as to quote the word "The" after asserting that Obama was anti-america basically.

I may be un-American, but at least I respect my president off topic I know. ^_^

My point is context.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D