By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:
JRPGs are not all linear. Most of them are, but some aren't.
Chrono Cross has all kinds of paths to choose. And Star Ocean not only had a couple characters that you had to choose from, but had 80+ endings.

The only true RPGs are the table top ones, cuz you can truly be the character and do anything you want (I can spit, curse, or scratch my ass in the middle of a fight, if I want to). Doesn't matter how much freedom WRPGs give you, you're always bound to do only what the game allows you to do. That's no RPG.

So I see no problem in calling JRPGs RPGs.

Yes, a lot of people have told me that Chrono Cross was one of the very few actual RPG's that the Japanese have created. Thats still no excuse that the majority of RPG's don't follow the rule. JRPG's are mainly their own genre. They created a genre that actually told a story rather than letting you become the role. They took something from RPG's that didn't define what an RPG was and ran with it. JRPG's that follow the RPG rule should be called JRPG's...like Chrono Cross; the rest should've been called something else.

This made me kinda laugh especially when there wasn't a a big RPG until Final Fantasy and really established RPGs in gaming, then WRPGs rode the title wave with things like Ultima gaining popularity and such.  Don't get me wrong RPGs have been on both sides for a long ass time you could say WRPGs started with D&D and you can still see the D&D influence today, RPGs in Japan have been epic tales most likely derived from Japanese folklore as you can see a huge presence in that folklore in many games. 

But games like Final Fantasy made a name for RPGs as a whole and really established the RPG fanbase, sure these fans evolve and now the guys that swore they'd never play D&D are now doing it with Oblivion and Fallout 3, but it's all still the same genre in the end just two styles of story telling.

Exactly, they are the same genre.  They are just different storytelling methods and gameplay mechanics to appeal to the tastes of Japanese and Western gamers.

No they aren't. JRPG started off as a carbon copy of WRPG's, just took a left turn somewhere upstream. RPG's are games where you play the role of a character and grow with them, train them, make their decisions which affect the world around them. JRPG's are in the business of telling stories....not roleplaying.

Around the Network

I like all RPG's but my favorite is hands down these types:

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:
Chrono Cross has all kinds of paths to choose. And Star Ocean not only had a couple characters that you had to choose from, but had 80+ endings.

The only true RPGs are the table top ones, cuz you can truly be the character and do anything you want (I can spit, curse, or scratch my ass in the middle of a fight, if I want to). Doesn't matter how much freedom WRPGs give you, you're always bound to do only what the game allows you to do. That's no RPG.

Yes, a lot of people have told me that Chrono Cross was one of the very few actual RPG's that the Japanese have created. Thats still no excuse that the majority of RPG's don't follow the rule. JRPG's are mainly their own genre. They created a genre that actually told a story rather than letting you become the role. They took something from RPG's that didn't define what an RPG was and ran with it. JRPG's that follow the RPG rule should be called JRPG's...like Chrono Cross; the rest should've been called something else.

This made me kinda laugh especially when there wasn't a a big RPG until Final Fantasy and really established RPGs in gaming, then WRPGs rode the title wave with things like Ultima gaining popularity and such.  Don't get me wrong RPGs have been on both sides for a long ass time you could say WRPGs started with D&D and you can still see the D&D influence today, RPGs in Japan have been epic tales most likely derived from Japanese folklore as you can see a huge presence in that folklore in many games. 

But games like Final Fantasy made a name for RPGs as a whole and really established the RPG fanbase, sure these fans evolve and now the guys that swore they'd never play D&D are now doing it with Oblivion and Fallout 3, but it's all still the same genre in the end just two styles of story telling.

Exactly, they are the same genre.  They are just different storytelling methods and gameplay mechanics to appeal to the tastes of Japanese and Western gamers.

No they aren't. JRPG started off as a carbon copy of WRPG's, just took a left turn somewhere upstream. RPG's are games where you play the role of a character and grow with them, train them, make their decisions which affect the world around them. JRPG's are in the business of telling stories....not roleplaying.

Technically you're playing the role of the main character in JRPGs, so you are role playing, role playing doesn't mean you can always choose how the story goes or anything like that, you can role play as Jack Sparrow and therefore you must ACT like you ARE Jack Sparrow, OR you could role play as a mage and come up with your own bullshit magic and tell your own story that no one gives two shits about and usually call you a nerd, at least the Jack Sparrow role player can get laid :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:

Technically you're playing the role of the main character in JRPGs, so you are role playing, role playing doesn't mean you can always choose how the story goes or anything like that, you can role play as Jack Sparrow and therefore you must ACT like you ARE Jack Sparrow, OR you could role play as a mage and come up with your own bullshit magic and tell your own story that no one gives two shits about and usually call you a nerd, at least the Jack Sparrow role player can get laid :P

However, the problem with that logic is that all games would be RPGs, other than puzzle games anyway.

Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:

However, the problem with that logic is that all games would be RPGs, other than puzzle games anyway.

Well I was also leaving out the obvious parts like JRPGs have a leveling system so you grow them, you can search for legendary equipment that often have stories tied to them, etc.  Those points should be easy to understand and already know if you're a gamer lol.  The way STAGE described JRPGs they could basically be movies and you get the same effect lol. 

I was just pointing out the not so obvious point that you technically ARE playing a ROLE in the game :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Although people actually quoted me, no one actually seems to have read my post.

How amusing.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:

No...you don't control a character, you control a team. You just walk around as the main character. You don't fight with him, but you issue out orders to yourself and your team to progress the story. Gaining exp is the only growth your character goes through, with weapons and powers. There is no actual growth, nor effect on the world. Role playing means, you become the role and make the decisions for a character that affect the world around him. Take this for instance...the definitive version of role-playing is living the life you're living right now. You and I both choose to debate about RPG. Role playing pits you into the first person, while JRPG's pit you into the third person perspective, where you are acknowledging the character existence and immediate effect on the world around him...you, yourself aren't influencing it.

Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:

Exactly my point. If we look at JRPG's as RPG's then most games could be considered RPG's.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Riachu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Johann said:

Well I was also leaving out the obvious parts like JRPGs have a leveling system so you grow them, you can search for legendary equipment that often have stories tied to them, etc.  Those points should be easy to understand and already know if you're a gamer lol.  The way STAGE described JRPGs they could basically be movies and you get the same effect lol. 

I was just pointing out the not so obvious point that you technically ARE playing a ROLE in the game :P

JRPG's do not allow you to play a role. They focus on the story of the character themselves in an narritive fashion, rather than putting true control in your hands. This is what makes JRPG's not RPG's in a traditional sense. JRPG's allow you to experience the story, but not affect the outcome. RPG's do. Even though you walked around the city as a character in JRPG's, you never were the character. In JRPG's the main character serves as a beacon for the whole team.

As I said before...if your EXP and leveling theory about RPG's is true, then UFC: Undisputed is a fighting RPG.

2 words. Final fantasy.

Gintama is the funniest show EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud owner of all currnet gen consoles.

I not a big wii fan

Okita the sadist.