By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The rumors were true: Nintendo games can now play themselves!

I don't see how this is so different from people who buy game guides or check out walkthroughs on internet websites.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

So it turns out there is a penalty for using this feature. From the patent:

It is possible to start the game from the scene of "temple" by reading the digest saved-data described above. However, in this game, data of the game which is started in this manner is not saved. That is, only the data of the game obtained by a user performing attacking by him/herself are stored, so that a user who performs attacking by him/herself may not reduce his/her interest in the game. Hereinafter, a game play in which the game is started, while the digest movie is being reproduced, in a state where no data of the game is saved, is referred to as a game played in a "digest mode". However, data may be saved in the digest mode when it is unnecessary to consider that the interest in the game is maintained.

[0111]A difference between the user saved-data and the digest saved-data will be described. The user saved-data can be "loaded" when the "game" is selected from the title menu, and the user saved-data is generated and stored when a player issues an instruction for the saving while playing the game. On the other hand, the digest saved-data is different from the user saved-data in that the digest saved-data is previously set based on the game storyline as described above, and is stored as a part of the game program in the game disc 4. As described above, the saving is not allowed in the digest mode, whereas the user saved-data to be stored is obtained only when a user plays the game from the beginning, and performs attacking by him/herself.

I guess Nintendo anticipated me. I'll have to mull this over a bit more.

NJ5 said:
I don't see how this is so different from people who buy game guides or check out walkthroughs on internet websites.

To me, it's the difference between making something out of a cookbook and having someone do the dish for you.

Can you folks tell that I'm hungry? I'mma got grab something to eat now.

As this'll be optional I see this as a win-win.

As long as it is optional, I don't see how this could be a bad thing haha. Don't know how most gamers could hate this anyways... not like the games they think are hard nowadays are actually hard. So much easier than they used to be haha. Get over yourselves.

It's not just Nintendo doing this by the way. Won't Forza 3 have that feature that you only have to accelerate and the game will brake and steer for you (or anything in between)?

@noname2200:

Depends on the genre, with some genres a walkthrough is not any different from the game playing itself. On some genres it's quite different, but then again a gamer can always replay the section for themselves. It just gives gamers more freedom of enjoying the game as they want, which can't be a bad thing.

Around the Network

So, essentially, you can't save the game after using the plays-by-itself feature?

If I understood that correctly, you will eventually have to beat it yourself. You have to option to be told how to do it, but still have to do it youself afterwards. That sounds nice, as it can open for some platforming in which it isn't obvious what to do.

Pineapple said:

So, essentially, you can't save the game after using the plays-by-itself feature?

If I understood that correctly, you will eventually have to beat it yourself. You have to option to be told how to do it, but still have to do it youself afterwards. That sounds nice, as it can open for some platforming in which it isn't obvious what to do.

No, according to miyamoto, the game plays for you, until you tell it to stop and from that point, you take over

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Pineapple said:

No, according to miyamoto, the game plays for you, until you tell it to stop and from that point, you take over

Pineapple's right.  Read the part of the patent that NoName found about halfway down the thread.  If you use the feature, you can't save from that point on.  Basically, it teaches you how to do something, then you go do it yourself.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I just think this is hilarious because after all that crap MGS4 got for being a movie, now Nintendo has made a game that you actually can just watch.

OT: I don't know if I would ever use this to get me through something, but it's sometimes fun just to watch the computer play the game. I used to do that with Sports games, put two computer controlled teams against each other and just watch them fight it out. Not sure why I thought it was so fun, probably because I always sucked at sports games.

@Torillian: The difference is, in MGS4 you can't play the sequences in the cutscenes, while in this case you can. I don't really see how the MGS4 situation makes this hilarious.

I'm not criticizing MGS4 here, just saying the two situations are completely different.