By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The rumors were true: Nintendo games can now play themselves!

And in MGS4 there were obviously sections that you had to play (most of the game), so I just find it funny that now there's a game that you actually don't have to touch, you can watch the whole thing if you so care to.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
And in MGS4 there were obviously sections that you had to play (most of the game), so I just find it funny that now there's a game that you actually don't have to touch, you can watch the whole thing if you so care to.

Think of it as having an expert gamer that you can ask for help anytime you want to... or even watch it play the whole game for you. The only difference is the player is an AI inside the console.

It's not so extraordinary if you think about it that way, and it's a perfectly valid analogy.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

If you read the patent, you'll find that you cannot save the progress the game makes for you. "Resume playing" means you go right back to where you were when you left off; the game may have showed you a possible path, but you still have to take it yourself. NSMBWii is not a puzzle game, so you gain no advantage from doing this.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

thekitchensink said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Pineapple said:

So, essentially, you can't save the game after using the plays-by-itself feature?

If I understood that correctly, you will eventually have to beat it yourself. You have to option to be told how to do it, but still have to do it youself afterwards. That sounds nice, as it can open for some platforming in which it isn't obvious what to do.

No, according to miyamoto, the game plays for you, until you tell it to stop and from that point, you take over

Pineapple's right.  Read the part of the patent that NoName found about halfway down the thread.  If you use the feature, you can't save from that point on.  Basically, it teaches you how to do something, then you go do it yourself.

That was in the patent, I think Miyamoto's comments are a bit more upt to date on how it works, I mean who to believe an old patent, or the guy working on the game

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Can´t save if you use the feature?...c´mon, you should be able to if you want.

Around the Network

haha i wonder if you suck at multiplayer online can oyu turn this on and be god like unstopabble haha.

In any sense I have no negative about this as long as they make the game harder for the traditional gamer now that the casual can't complain about and use this option for the bunnies.

The very well may be the future of gaming. I mean, many folks play games like MGS4 more for watching then actual playing, anyway.

Once again, Nintendo is the most cutting edge company in the industry. I don't know how Nintendo does it!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Millennium said:

If you read the patent, you'll find that you cannot save the progress the game makes for you. "Resume playing" means you go right back to where you were when you left off; the game may have showed you a possible path, but you still have to take it yourself. NSMBWii is not a puzzle game, so you gain no advantage from doing this.

You haven't met my girlfriend, brother's girlfriend or my mum then (not that I'm singling out female gamers, these are just the first people that come to mind). Even though this isn't a puzzle game, the "obvious" path/sequence isn't always obvious to a casual gamer.

I think this is great for people like my mother, who despite being a gamer for longer than most people on this site have been alive (and probably spends more time per week playing games than a lot of people on this site), she still has major difficulties getting through certain games (especially when the transition to 3D occured).

Now instead of putting the game down and getting back to it in a few weeks in the hope that something clicks the next time she plays, she can try to get through it a couple of times, and if she still can't figure it out, she can see how it is done rather than waiting for my brother or me to end up showing her next time we go to visit.

For those that think this is a terrible idea (even though its optional....) I guess are the same people who don't understand why anyone would use cheats. For some people there just isn't any excitement being stuck for too long or in the case of many, being stuck forever, as it pretty much takes all the fun out of the game.

I think this is actually good Mainly because now if people are having trouble then they can just move on. now i highly doubt you will be able to see the end of the game if you skip a level but it just allows you to continue and go back. So now this will please everyone, the casual gamers because a game will never be to hard now, and the hardcore because now Nintendo can make hard games and not have to worry about it not being for everyone.
But nintendo wasn't the first to do this. I'm pretty sure in Disgea you could skip to the final boss if you had enough money or something. So yeah... that's it really.

3609-1228-9914

All I can say is YES - ABOUT TIME!!! I hope everyone starts doing this.

To those arguing that it's like quitting and people won't learn the skills they need - that's exactly what happens now, except those people never finish the game. At least with this they will actually get to the end of the game. Then if they want they can replay it and try to do it unaided - if it was fun enough.

I've had RE4 Wii since '06 and I still havn't finished it because I'm stuck on the #%@ing sewer boss, can't beat him. I try once every 3-6 months, still can't beat him and regularly consider selling the game, but I'm only half way through. If I could just skip that one part I could play the rest of the game.

I loved NSMB DS but some of the levels were so frustratingly hard I was honestly worried I was going to throw my DS through a wall so I sold it before I did. Having this feature in the Wii version has made it a must have for me.

I just hope you can auto-return to the areas you skipped so you can try them again later at your leisure without having to replay everything before it.

I'm sure my daughter will get a ton more play out of her Wii (she doesn't live with me) with games like that.

I also disagree that you should in anyways be penalized. You shouldn't get any bonuses, the computer shouldn't collect the gold coins and power ups for you (unless needed to complete the section) but in no way should a novice player or casual player be penalized because the game stopped being fun and they want to skip a bit to get back to the fun part.