By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will not include Internet Explorer in EU markets.

In that case, how am I supposed to download Firefox? xD

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:
Good for MS. I hope this shows that the EU can't force stupid, biased policies on one company.

Why isn't the EU asking Apple the same thing of Safari? If the EU forces a 'ballot box' on one service (browsers), why shouldn't they sue every company that has other similar products into a ballot box?

Here we go again...

It's because Microsoft has a monopoly of the OS market. Stricter rules apply to companies who have monopolies, and this is the case in many countries.

I thought the basic principle of law was that everyone had to abide by it, and not just some? It doesn't make sense when they are writing rules that one, and only one, company needs to follow.

Xoj - That wasn't the point. The point was that it would be a bad idea if Sony was forced to include 3rd party games.

There are plenty of laws which only apply in specific cases. A repeat offender will easily get higher sentences. A monopoly has a shorter leash  from the law, because its actions can be much more harmful.

Let's give a very simple example here... Two people threaten to beat you up. One of them is a 6 year old brat. Another one is a professional soldier who clearly has a gun under his coat. Who will get a worse sentence?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

mrstickball said:
NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:
Good for MS. I hope this shows that the EU can't force stupid, biased policies on one company.

Why isn't the EU asking Apple the same thing of Safari? If the EU forces a 'ballot box' on one service (browsers), why shouldn't they sue every company that has other similar products into a ballot box?

Here we go again...

It's because Microsoft has a monopoly of the OS market. Stricter rules apply to companies who have monopolies, and this is the case in many countries.

I thought the basic principle of law was that everyone had to abide by it, and not just some? It doesn't make sense when they are writing rules that one, and only one, company needs to follow.

Xoj - That wasn't the point. The point was that it would be a bad idea if Sony was forced to include 3rd party games.

that's another thing, even when sony owned over 70% of marketshare they supported all third party, actually would take a bullet from their third party, they saved square soft from death with the spirith within.

and never ran problems besides some people suing due patents about rumble.

microsoft been to is monolopy  practices,EU it's aware of that.

remove gif support from image viewer, lack of a real uninstallation of IE and WMP,  are burden to third party to success, like or not, people generally stays with whats bundled, while it works for what they want to do even if all the competition it's better at every single aspect (security, speed, reliability and standards).

that's only a few things, they also give "incentives" to goverments to choose windows over "free" alternatives such as red hat, debian, ubuntu.

even if the requirement it's just PC that runs web browser and word editor.

goverments and public entities must support competition, and thats must as LAW, you can buy from HP or Dell only, you must look around for alternatives and have from each brand it strong points and weakness.

competition helps the country because companies are forced to slash prices to stay competitive and consumers get a better quality product at a cheaper price.