By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will not include Internet Explorer in EU markets.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/apple-on-palm-pre-itunes-sync-watch-out/

... so i take it apple doesnt want to play fair and share...

Around the Network
Blaze said:

Not necessarily.

I made an ignore user script for vgChartz which uses selectors to find the right nodes to show/hide.  vgChartz could release an update to the forums that improves the look and feel drastically but breaks my script (until I fix it).  vgChartz isn't somehow expected to keep the forums exactly how they are right now to keep my script working forever.  They didn't take on that obligation.  

Just as vgChartz isn't obligated to support my script, Apple isn't obligated to support this feature.  This isn't Apple saying "We're going to take steps to stop this" rather it's Apple saying "we're not directly supporting this so be aware problems may arise."

Words Of Wisdom said:
Blaze said:

Not necessarily.

I made an ignore user script for vgChartz which uses selectors to find the right nodes to show/hide.  vgChartz could release an update to the forums that improves the look and feel drastically but breaks my script (until I fix it).  vgChartz isn't somehow expected to keep the forums exactly how they are right now to keep my script working forever.  They didn't take on that obligation.  

Just as vgChartz isn't obligated to support my script, Apple isn't obligated to support this feature.  This isn't Apple saying "We're going to take steps to stop this" rather it's Apple saying "we're not directly supporting this so be aware problems may arise."

If you truely believe that then you a PR persons dream

Blaze said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Blaze said:

Not necessarily.

I am a PR person's dream because I will not assert the existance of anti-competitive behavior until I see proof of it?

The difference between a cynic and a fool is that a cynic will foresee the worst-case scenario however a fool will assume it.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Blaze said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Blaze said:

Not necessarily.

I am a PR person's dream because I will not assert the existance of anti-competitive behavior until I see proof of it?

The difference between a cynic and a fool is that a cynic will foresee the worst-case scenario however a fool will assume it.

... ahh you win apple has never in the past used any anti-competitive behavior and never will since they are a golden child.  I mean really only other companys do things like that and apple is way to amazing of a company for that...

seriously?

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

It's going to be a non-even like the XP version without Media Player which no one bought.

Except in the European Union, anyway.

Edit: Dammit this title is misleading, nevermind.

Good for MS. I hope this shows that the EU can't force stupid, biased policies on one company.

Why isn't the EU asking Apple the same thing of Safari? If the EU forces a 'ballot box' on one service (browsers), why shouldn't they sue every company that has other similar products into a ballot box?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Good for MS. I hope this shows that the EU can't force stupid, biased policies on one company.

Why isn't the EU asking Apple the same thing of Safari? If the EU forces a 'ballot box' on one service (browsers), why shouldn't they sue every company that has other similar products into a ballot box?

Here we go again...

It's because Microsoft has a monopoly of the OS market. Stricter rules apply to companies who have monopolies, and this is the case in many countries.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

superchunk said:
slimeattack said:
Superchunk, when it comes to MS, this makes sense. In case you didn't know, the EU has been trying since a few months to make MS include a "ballot box" for browsers in Windows (so that a person installing Windows could choose whether to install IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and/or Chrome, choosing one as the default one). It was a threat to MS that it would once and for all kill IE domination, so now MS has preempted the Commission and said there won't be IE on Windows, unless[i/] someone actually wants it (the consumer or the hardware maker). It will be interesting to see the Commission's reaction to this.

That's stupid. MS should be able to give away free versions of any of its products with any other product. The only crime would be to inhibit the use of anyone else's product.

MS's reaction is the best one, all or none, fine none. However if you would like you can instal IE from the disc provided. Makes a lot more sense on given the commisions stupid position.

That's like saying Sony can't bundle GT without offering some 3rd party racing game as a choice instead. It just makes no sense.

sony does bundle other third party games though.

that's the difference.

NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:

Here we go again...

It's because Microsoft has a monopoly of the OS market. Stricter rules apply to companies who have monopolies, and this is the case in many countries.

I thought the basic principle of law was that everyone had to abide by it, and not just some? It doesn't make sense when they are writing rules that one, and only one, company needs to follow.

Xoj - That wasn't the point. The point was that it would be a bad idea if Sony was forced to include 3rd party games.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.