By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will not include Internet Explorer in EU markets.

DirtyP2002 said:

Halo ODST will include a free multiplayer-beta for Halo Reach. MS needs to include a multiplayer beta for 3rd parties as well according to this. :D

This is sooo stupid. I can't believe MS is not allowed to offer something for FREE. You can transfer this to a lot of other products. So a Playstation bundle with Killzone 2 is not allowed either, because the customer won't try other games/shooters. This is more or less the same thing.

No, it isn't.

- MS starting point is a dominating position on the OS market. This makes them subject to extra scrutiny to make sure that this position doesn't transfer to limited competition in other related markets, say the browsers' one. If MS had a 5% market share for OSs, this would be a moot point.

- A game is not meant to be a substitute for all other games. A browser is meant to substitute competing browsers in everything, forever.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
scottie said:
superchunk said:
slimeattack said:
Superchunk, when it comes to MS, this makes sense. In case you didn't know, the EU has been trying since a few months to make MS include a "ballot box" for browsers in Windows (so that a person installing Windows could choose whether to install IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and/or Chrome, choosing one as the default one). It was a threat to MS that it would once and for all kill IE domination, so now MS has preempted the Commission and said there won't be IE on Windows, unless[i/] someone actually wants it (the consumer or the hardware maker). It will be interesting to see the Commission's reaction to this.

That's stupid. MS should be able to give away free versions of any of its products with any other product. The only crime would be to inhibit the use of anyone else's product.

MS's reaction is the best one, all or none, fine none. However if you would like you can instal IE from the disc provided. Makes a lot more sense on given the commisions stupid position.

That's like saying Sony can't bundle GT without offering some 3rd party racing game as a choice instead. It just makes no sense.

Funny you should say that

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15137.html

Properties of IE

Installed on your computer without consent

Runs in the background without you opening it

Requires a lot of effort or a special program to delete it

Is required by MS for updating your computer (if you're using XP at least)

Compare that with your average malware

Installed on your computer without consent

Is NOT required by MS for updating your computer

All windows based computers load certain parts of IE into the ram at startup, hence reducing the amount of ram available for other programs. This cannot be stooped simply by making another browser your default browser. MS had a chance to play nice, and they blew it. I'm sorry superchunk, MS doesn't love you as much as you love them.

It's a part of the operating system.

"Installed on your computer without consent

Is required by MS for updating your computer (if you're using XP at least)"

Hey, guess how many windows components, DLLs, etc fall under those categories? It's not about playing nice. MS considered web browsing to be integral to the PC using experience, and bundled the ability to do so by default. Most people are glad about this. Heck, I'm using firefox right now, but I would be VERY UNHAPPY if after buying a new PC, I had to drive to a friend's house with a flash drive in order to download firefox and install it.

NJ5 said:
nordlead said:
I'm waiting for the outrage of average users who can't find the internet with windows 7

It's not gonna happen, because the version of windows 7 without IE will probably not even be found at most stores...

of course, but this is the internet. I can guarentee you that someone buys the version and can't get online. Then goes back to windows XP and writes up long rants about how there is no way for him to connect his Windows 7 box to the internet

anyways, I don't think windows needs to do anything. Internet is essential to get the other browsers. I don't believe Microsoft should be forced to bundle competitors browsers, and it is easy to install and set as default other browsers. I really don't see why the EU union makes such a huge fuss out of this. All they do is force Microsoft to make a build of windows they have no intent to sell.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

DirtyP2002 said:

Halo ODST will include a free multiplayer-beta for Halo Reach. MS needs to include a multiplayer beta for 3rd parties as well according to this. :D

This is sooo stupid. I can't believe MS is not allowed to offer something for FREE. You can transfer this to a lot of other products. So a Playstation bundle with Killzone 2 is not allowed either, because the customer won't try other games/shooters. This is more or less the same thing.

No... because you can buy a PS3 without Killzone 2.

You'd better have chosen wii sports as an example.

Europeans will have choice of the browser they want to have on their system... what's wrong with that?
Since it's something MS was giving for free, they won't lose anything by not including it... what's wrong with that?

Everytime you'll buy a pc with windows 7 in europe, the vendor (dell, hp, asus, sony, whatever) will install a browser on it (like they install many other software), but now it will be up to the vendor to chose which browser to include, maybe it'll be IE, maybe FF, maybe Opera, maybe something else.
(It will be IE most of the time if you want my opinion, but at least, it will be a little more fair competition)

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

superchunk said:
SamuelRSmith said:
I can't see how anyone could be in support of Microsoft for this. Microsoft are abusing their position in the Operating System market to gain in the browser market - that's anti-competitive behaviour.

You may be thinking "so what, they're free products" - but there's financial gain to be had from the browser market - why else do you think that Microsoft is acting in the way it is? Browsers gain revenue from people using the search bars in the corner, and it can also act as a way for Microsoft to push their own search and online services - more anti-competitive behaviour.

Microsoft also use the Windows-IE lock to try and create an IE-Windows lock. The more consumers get adjusted to Windows apps the less likely they are to go for alternative Operating Systems.

Microsoft's forced-monopoly in the browser market has led to a stagnation in the advancement of the web. What's the point in following web standards and embracing new web technologies if the market leading browser doesn't utilise them.

No. Your over simplifying the situation and going to unrealistic expectations.

Originally MS was using malicious coding to actually hinder non-MS products usability/installation/default settings. That is what they were originally sued for by US and EU. Now EU is just being an asshole now that MS has changed the OS to not have any restrictions.

MS is now very open to 3rd party browsers, media software, etc. There is nothing illegal about MS throwing in IE or any other MS product for free with thier OS. Its the same thing Linux builds and Mac do.

Forcing MS to throw in every browser option is stupid. All it will do is unecesarily bog down installation and take up way too much space on install discs.

Also, MS with IE8 has finally reversed its poor policy and is fully W3C complaint.

Yes, whatever will microsoft do without those 10 megabytes ..

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

@ jereel - I feel honoured that you chose to actually read my post, because you sure as hell didn't read any others

"the EU has been trying since a few months to make MS include a "ballot box" for browsers in Windows (so that a person installing Windows could choose whether to install IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and/or Chrome, choosing one as the default one)."
A single extra button click is all this would take. And then it saves you the harddrive space and ram that IE uses. No flash drives. Yay!

As for a particular web browser being 'a part of the OS' Sorry, what? If you delete a dll, you computer functions at a lower level to what it did before (if at all). If you delete IE, it functions at a higher level than it did before. You analogy is inapt!

Although I don't think this was necessary (and there will be confusion from end-users in some cases) there are solutions for such a version selling, if that's the point.

A huge chunk of the overall base will be on newly sold machines and on corporate computers where the IT team take care of installing products. In such cases there won't be a browserless OS at the end of it even if they go for the IE-less version.

There is also the possibility that retailers bundle a CD with a different browser, e.g. IE-less windows 7 and you get to pick a CD with your browser of choice in the shop.

so basically, no automatic install

that is good indeed

everybody is happy and IE can still be installed, it is up to you to remove it later or not

Time to Work !

scottie said:
@ jereel - I feel honoured that you chose to actually read my post, because you sure as hell didn't read any others

"the EU has been trying since a few months to make MS include a "ballot box" for browsers in Windows (so that a person installing Windows could choose whether to install IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and/or Chrome, choosing one as the default one)."
A single extra button click is all this would take. And then it saves you the harddrive space and ram that IE uses. No flash drives. Yay!

As for a particular web browser being 'a part of the OS' Sorry, what? If you delete a dll, you computer functions at a lower level to what it did before (if at all). If you delete IE, it functions at a higher level than it did before. You analogy is inapt!

For the record, I read all the other posts.

As for the ballot box (and I did respond to a similar comment) it's ridiculous to force a OS maker (or any company) to effectively advertise their competitors.

As for it being part of the OS, IE was, previously, PART of the operating system. Explorer and IE were tied in, and not easily seperated. This has, SINCE the anti-trust agreement been changed, however when this original antitrust issue came up, it was the case.

Clearly the EU is never going to forgive MS for 'cheating' in the past with browsers.

With browsers essentially freeware from the consumer point of view it does seem kind of moot now - but this is what happens when you get caught with your fingers in the cookie jar in the first place by a slow moving but power bureaucracy.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...