By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will not include Internet Explorer in EU markets.

Heh reminds me how i chopped IE from my vlite minimal vista installation and then had to download opera on other computer and copy it on pendrive to my main one :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Don't confuse Apple/OSX/Safari situation with MS's situation. Let alone Linux.

Apple sells bothe the hardware and the software. As a whole.

MS is selling an operating system. Hardware manufacturers such as dell, or HP buy this software and sells it to the consumer.

But in the whole package of Windows, there's a browser: IE.
And unlike, say... the file manager, the browser is not a real part of the OS.

By giving it, for free, on every windows install, which means on every comp in the world, MS has crushed the competition.
Not really the fair way.

Now, the EU will have a IE-free windows 7 version. Hardware vendors will have the choice to include IE or FF or Opera or whatever they want in the package.

It goes back to a more normal situation if you want my opinion.

And now that Dell let you choose between Ubuntu and Windows, it's even better. Let's hope more vendors will do the same.

Competition is always better than monopoly.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

It's going to be a non-even like the XP version without Media Player which no one bought.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Explorer sucks. Every competitor is better than this product and we all know it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Good idea, bad execution. Don't know what would've been good though. It's pretty hard to download a new browser without an existing one, although it's probably possible.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
slimeattack said:
Superchunk, when it comes to MS, this makes sense. In case you didn't know, the EU has been trying since a few months to make MS include a "ballot box" for browsers in Windows (so that a person installing Windows could choose whether to install IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari and/or Chrome, choosing one as the default one). It was a threat to MS that it would once and for all kill IE domination, so now MS has preempted the Commission and said there won't be IE on Windows, unless[i/] someone actually wants it (the consumer or the hardware maker). It will be interesting to see the Commission's reaction to this.

That's stupid. MS should be able to give away free versions of any of its products with any other product. The only crime would be to inhibit the use of anyone else's product.

MS's reaction is the best one, all or none, fine none. However if you would like you can instal IE from the disc provided. Makes a lot more sense on given the commisions stupid position.

That's like saying Sony can't bundle GT without offering some 3rd party racing game as a choice instead. It just makes no sense.

There's a big difference though... Microsoft practically has a monopoly on operating systems and browsers, and Sony doesn't have a monopoly in the gaming market.

Some may think it's unfair, but it's common practice in many countries to apply more strict rules to companies who have the monopoly of a market. For example, it's fine to for Sony to sell consoles for a loss, but if Microsoft started selling Windows for a loss once a competitor started rising, many governments would start pounding MS.

It must ship with some form of browser. Windows is heading towards the point where file explorer is a web browser itself - so maybe explorer is effectively built in anyway, just unbranded.

All MS need to do is include the common 4-5 browsers on the installation disk, and let people choose one upon install. Problem solved.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

SamuelRSmith said:
I can't see how anyone could be in support of Microsoft for this. Microsoft are abusing their position in the Operating System market to gain in the browser market - that's anti-competitive behaviour.

You may be thinking "so what, they're free products" - but there's financial gain to be had from the browser market - why else do you think that Microsoft is acting in the way it is? Browsers gain revenue from people using the search bars in the corner, and it can also act as a way for Microsoft to push their own search and online services - more anti-competitive behaviour.

Microsoft also use the Windows-IE lock to try and create an IE-Windows lock. The more consumers get adjusted to Windows apps the less likely they are to go for alternative Operating Systems.

Microsoft's forced-monopoly in the browser market has led to a stagnation in the advancement of the web. What's the point in following web standards and embracing new web technologies if the market leading browser doesn't utilise them.

Anything a company does in order to gain an upper-hand over competition is "anti-competitive". MS gives away a browser for free, and it's bundled. Anyone that is against MS doesn't have a valid reason. You like a browser? download it. It's that easy. Download it with the freely installed IE. All those people that don't know enough to download another browser? Why should they simply not have one? The browsers are all freely available. And a browser like firefox is doing fine against IE. There's no reason to restrict a free option for people.

Jereel Hunter said:
SamuelRSmith said:
I can't see how anyone could be in support of Microsoft for this. Microsoft are abusing their position in the Operating System market to gain in the browser market - that's anti-competitive behaviour.

You may be thinking "so what, they're free products" - but there's financial gain to be had from the browser market - why else do you think that Microsoft is acting in the way it is? Browsers gain revenue from people using the search bars in the corner, and it can also act as a way for Microsoft to push their own search and online services - more anti-competitive behaviour.

Microsoft also use the Windows-IE lock to try and create an IE-Windows lock. The more consumers get adjusted to Windows apps the less likely they are to go for alternative Operating Systems.

Microsoft's forced-monopoly in the browser market has led to a stagnation in the advancement of the web. What's the point in following web standards and embracing new web technologies if the market leading browser doesn't utilise them.

Anything a company does in order to gain an upper-hand over competition is "anti-competitive". MS gives away a browser for free, and it's bundled. Anyone that is against MS doesn't have a valid reason. You like a browser? download it. It's that easy. Download it with the freely installed IE. All those people that don't know enough to download another browser? Why should they simply not have one? The browsers are all freely available. And a browser like firefox is doing fine against IE. There's no reason to restrict a free option for people.

Let me put it this way. Remember when Nintendo had a monopoly of the handheld gaming market?

What would happen if Nintendo had bundled a "free" Nintendo 64 with each gameboy that they sold... That would practically give them domination of the console market by extension. It would be anti-competitive behavior too, and I'm sure that Sony and Sega would have made a lot of noise back then.

The situation with the browsers is analogous... the only difference is a browser is cheaper to make and distribute than a console, so it's easier for MS to pull off this trick.

Its not about restricting the free option, its about not giving u the choice to begin with.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.