By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS EYE and EYE of judgment gameplay

Wait.. i just realized.. is the PSEye wired or wireless?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

A)I have spent 0 dollars of my own playing CCG's, yet have played about 15 different versions on thousands of dollars worth of cards. I have friends who are addicted, and are quite happy to play (I have a 1 win 63 loss record for Game of Thrones. No idea how)

B) I have played a couple computer versions of CCGs (Magic, and Marvel Trading Card on DS, Culdecept is kinda one).

Here are my issues with the Eye of Judgement:
1) It combines both the initial cost (Which actually is much lower that I thought, thumbs up) of the software (B) with the cards themselves in booster packs, (A), to get revenue from two sources when one would work fine, particularily since most of these games already are online. Money grabbing is fun, 2 streams, not 1!

2) The Camera seems a bit... random, pointless even. So rather than clicking where you want your card to go, you carefully place it. Also, can the barcode be duplicated? Your opponent doesn't see your cards, they see the image, so get a high quality printer and make 12 copies of those ultra rare boost cards. Your opponent will thank you for it. And how can Sony prove any cheating, maybe you just bought 50 booster decks.

3) Deck control. Nothing says fun like registering your decks 1 by 1, and I presume they have that feature in there, otherwise, woot, I'm playing with a 120 card deck without random draws! Seems like fun for a CCG. 30 card hands? Is there any fucking control for rules, or what?

4) The game itself seems painfully basic. People who are into CCG's with depth will find :Creature/Spell/Kill/repeat a bit boring. Though this is without seeing any spells, which may or may not add a lot of modification, and there appears to be a chance of dodging? Well, luck factors have existed in simple CCG's, like Pokemon before. Do people like that?

5) Expansions: Card games are always being modified, balanced, and expanded on. Great, so are we going to need to buy another piece of fucking software as well as a new deck? 120 cards aren't that much. New class cards? Or did you program 600 cards and are just jerking us around, DLC to unlock them? Hopefully not.

6) 9 fields, goal is to by the first to control 5... why would player 1 do anything but place high defence creatures because he places #5 before player 2? Maybe the game doesn't end for a full turn, but... huh?

Now, there certainly are more talented and intelligent individuals than I who worked on this project, who probably considered these problems and dealt with them. But I havn't heard any decent justification against any of those as of yet. Plus, the Warhawk server issue of "Oh, people were using one split screen to give them an additional view" wasn't solved by the simplicity of "Disconnect player when idle for 5 minutes and disallow spectating", it was solved by not letting you play on Sony's servers with friends at your house. So I'm not certain if I'm giving people too much credit or am just being bitchy.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

I don't know whether it will flop or not, but it looks great and I really hope it doesn't. $69.99 isn't a bad price for it at all. The only problem is after you buy it you get milked dry on booster packs lol. Whenever I end up getting a PS3 (talking years away) you can bet I'll pick this up.

edit: POST 3000!!! 

congrats on 3000 posts naznatips

the good part is that the card game can be played without a PS3/PSEye so Sony has another source or revenue.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Are the same people getting excited about this the same people who said the wii remote was a fad?

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Are the same people getting excited about this the same people who said the wii remote was a fad?

It's what I thought by reading this thread ! It puts me back on the anouncement of DS and Wiimote ...

To make it simple : I want this game  ! I want to play it with friends and online ! I miss online game where i can tchat with people quietly, and playing with real card on a video game is just THE idea to make me playing card's game, espacilly when it's hard to find players in your region. I just found it fun, And to be honest I'm expecting the same reaction by christmast on store than when EYE toys first came out with kids, parents, and magic / yugi / fans looking at it everywhere it wil be shown !

For japan, It could make a real deal. Just go there and you will see that a lot of kids are playing card's games on arcade system you never saw !

Well... Except I really don't see this doing well like the Ds and Wii remote have. I was just pointing out possible hypocrisy in people's opinions here. It just seems kind of unfair to the Ds and Wii people to get smack talked then have the same people that sassed them try and convince everyone this odd ball contraption will be a winner.

I personally don't see this doing terribly well, but I could be wrong. Only a 30 card deck of a new unheard of game on a console with a limited user base and an expensive peripheral to do what anyone could otherwise just do with friends using a real card game? And where exactly to they plan on taking this peripheral beyond tabletop gaming?

another "technology driven" game rather than the other way around. technology companies like this kind of stuff... HP, Sony, etc. it's an "application" of the PSEye, and that's really all that needs to be said.

i went to the wired magazine convention a couple of weekends earlier, and they had a fighting game based on essentially PSEye (wasn't PSEye, of course). that looked pretty cool, and seems like a better example of a "technology driver" game. there are some issues, largely recognition problems.

did somebody else see that? at the LA Convention center a couple weeks back?

oh back to the game... depends on the card game. if it's good like Magic, it'll take off. it won't take off because of PSEye technology though. chances are, it'll just be another card game.

Hasbro also introduced a card game for kids and you can plug it into a console of its own, and data gets stored and the abilities grow or something for the monsters or spells if you trade with friends. i read it in the NYTimes maybe a year back. i've never heard about it since.

the Wii is an epidemic.

This will "flop" initially - but will have very long legs (if minimal sales / week). Overall, its a lot of money to pay for what should be a simple card game.

(The whole reason card games came about, is that they are supposed to be CHEAP (initially) to purchase/play).

I agree that if it had a strong brand name behind it (Pokemon, Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh), it could have been a sleeper hit.

I also can't see this selling a lot of systems. Sony/tech fans might be interested - but they would already have a PS3. Its not branded, or backed up by a matching TV show (etc..) to drive the card brand itself. So most card game players would probably skip it (PS3 + game is a lot of money...).

But what is evil, is that it falls into Sony's strategy of developing "multiple streams of income". They will keep releasing card packs, such that if anyone wants to play this seriously (competitively) they will have to spend a heap more money to buy cards.

I'm also curious about the "piracy" component of the game. Since its designed to be played remotely (online?), what stops people from photocopying, or printing out copies of cards using a colour printer? As long as the "markers" are there for the camera - it will detect the card - and there is no way for someone remotely to know that you are cheating?

Regardless, kudos to Sony for trying something different. At the very least its innovative - something the PS3 hasn't done enough of IMO. Maybe in 3 or 4 years when the PS3 is very affordable - a sequel to this could take off.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099