By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sucker Punch explain their exclusivity

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/sucker-punch-explains-its-ps3-exclusivity/

"Developer Sucker Punch started life nearly a decade ago with its first release on the Nintendo 64. Since that time, however, the studio has created titles exclusively for Sony platforms, including the Sly Cooper franchise and recent electro-shocky superhero game, inFamous. Co-founder Brian Fleming recently spoke out on his company's love-in with Sony, explaining that Sucker Punch's platform exclusivity has less to do with money and more to do with simply enjoying what they do.

According to Fleming, while going cross-platform puts a game in front of more potential eyeballs, "it also introduces a whole bunch of problems and compromises and difficulty that doesn't make making games a lot more fun. In fact, I think it subtracts from that."

While the exec notes without reservation that the studio is in this business to make money, he adds that you "have to be careful about being greedy." He adds that the pursuit of dollars has to be weighed against other things, like enjoying what you do for a living, publisher relations and game quality. We'd be hard pressed to argue, especially since our obsession with inFamous has only grown since the game first shocked our hearts."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the spirit, and that's also why I prefer that developers are able to keep their games exclusive. Developers have better odds of making the game they want, when they don't have to focus on parity amongst two platforms.

Around the Network

Yeah. That sounds like a good explenation.. valid reason and all. Very honest.

Check out my game about moles ^

Hummmmm....it's nice to see that there are still people who don't pray to the almighty dollar.

This hand of mine is burning red. It's loud cry is telling me to grasp victory.....SEKIHA TENKYOKEN!!!

They're lazy devs, what they're basically saying is that they can't be bothered to make games for the 360 because they're crap, lazy developers.

SamuelRSmith said:
They're lazy devs, what they're basically saying is that they can't be bothered to make games for the 360 because they're crap, lazy developers.

I second this.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:

Like Valve and Bungee?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Like Valve and Bungee?

Exactly like valve. Not so much Bungee since they were a first party studio and after becoming independant are still contracted by MS.

And thats what makes them good

@SamuelRSmith

PS3 is the hardest system to develop for........so what do u mean by lazy exactly??

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

right... then why make the game for PS3?
exclusive 360 has a bigger audience and the same freedom of creativity.
exclusive Wii has a bigger userbase, less reliance on graphics investments and more control possibilities...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

JEDE3 said:
ssj12 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Like Valve and Bungee?

Exactly like valve. Not so much Bungee since they were a first party studio and after becoming independant are still contracted by MS.

thats only for Halo. There is no reason why they cannot make other games except for Halo.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453