By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: "I blame Mario Galaxy for the Wii´s problems in Japan".

Soleron said:
stof said:
Yikes. It's kind of hard to think of a weirder argument to make...

Galaxy is still selling great.

Do you think they would have had more success (with the game and the hardware) if the launch Mario had been 2D?

Perhaps, if it had the same 4 player focus New Super Mario Bros Wii will, but if it had been just a 2d mario platformer for full retail price on a console instead of a handheld... No. No I wouldn't. Aside from Smash Bros, which is in a totally different area, what's the highest selling 2d game on the Wii?

WarioLand: Shake it with just over .6 million. NSMB did the amazing numbers it did and does on the DS because it perfectly fits the hardware. Wii Sports perfectly fit the hardware in a way that attracted some different people than those that would go in for Galaxy, which is an absolutely amazing game. Still though, It's hard to deal with complaints over the sales of an 8 million seller thats still going.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Well at least it outsold Sunshine by about 150k units.

Anyway, the Japanese have spoken and they prefer New Super Mario Bros. (~6 million units) to Galaxy.(~1 million units)

This article is like saying Tallega Nights caused all of the PS3's problems or Halo 3 caused all the 360's problems.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Malstrom should be banned from vgchartz, its the only site i see people caring about him.

Now, Malstrom detractors. Watch and be amazed as i, who disagree with him here on this point, do attempt to actually address his points, instead of declaring him an asshole and leaving.

He seems to have been on this bent for a long time, that 3D Mario (and Zelda) is fundamentally inferior to the 2D variant, especially in the eyes of Nintendo's audience. He seems to think its an issue with the SNES game design being superior. He loses ground when he cites NSMB's superior sales performance, because you cannot compare handheld games to console games thus. He himself should know this, given his long criticism of the PSP

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Carl2291 said:
One game, which by the way... is rated one of the best EVER, caused Wii to have problems in Japan?

Rated... by professional critics. Whose audience is very small compared to the number of Wii owners and extremely small compared to the number of potential Wii owners (The "Maybe" group spole of by Iwata). Almost everyone on VGChartz agrees it is an amazing game. But they are in a minority compared to the customers Nintendo makes most of its money from.

Around the Network

How is Nintendo doing poorly in Japan? Their sales are down but will pick up once MH / DQ games are released (Also, the new black Wii). They are back to selling more than the other consoles and they have sold the most there than the other consoles.  I guess having 65% of the home console market in Japan is doing poorly or having problems?

Well while that Japan comment was weird and dumb, he does have many great points (if you read the full article).

Galaxy is a single player game & a console game. Both those catagories get more of their sales cannabilized by the trade-in market. It's especially bad since Nintendo's current policy is not to discount games unless they are being discontinued. Therefor Galaxy at least in Western markets has probably reached a fairly comparable number of homes as NSMB. In Japan I think NSMB's huge sales is largely based on nostagia.

Soleron said:
Yes, I agree with him. I loved Super Mario Galaxy, but I represent a very small demographic. From a business and marjketing perspective, New Super Mario Bros. Wii would have been a far more successful launch game because it is accessible to those who've never played a Mario game (just as Wii Sports is accessible to those who've never played any games).

so you agree that 1 game can kill a system even if other great games come out later?

Super Mario Galaxy may not have helped the system, but it sure didn't cause it to fall from popularity. That would be like claiming Sony released Killzone 2 and now Japan hates Sony because they aren't big into shooters.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

O.o i had no idea