By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: "I blame Mario Galaxy for the Wii´s problems in Japan".

This is one of the things he says in his "a fire broke out among Nintendo´s core" article, which can be seen here:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/

Here´s the exact line:

"The purpose of Super Mario Galaxy was, as stated by Miyamoto, to make 3d Mario sell as 2d Mario by making 3d Mario simpler and easier to do. This is why Mario Galaxy goes into 2d mode so often. In this mission, Super Mario Galaxy failed. It did not sell the same numbers as 2d Mario. Worse, it performed poorly in Japan. I blame the Wii’s problems in Japan entirely on Super Mario Galaxy, a game that no one over there was looking forward to playing."

Do you agree with him?

Around the Network

This guy is such a wanker...

no matter how you want to look at that game, it was still an amazing freakin game.

people aren't going to not buy the amazing game just because of what miyamoto said, even if he said it

????????????

One game caused an entire system's problems?

I usually agree with Malstrom, but this make no sense.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

he is right lack of decent 3rd party support had nothing to do with wii's sales in japan or nintendo not releasing anything meaningful since MKWii, its all SMG's fault

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

I would disagree as well. The drought of any decent games for the last 8mos is more likely the reason in Wii's slower sales in Japan.

The last half of this year will have a dramatic rebound.

Yes, I agree with him. I loved Super Mario Galaxy, but I represent a very small demographic. From a business and marjketing perspective, New Super Mario Bros. Wii would have been a far more successful launch game because it is accessible to those who've never played a Mario game (just as Wii Sports is accessible to those who've never played any games).

Yikes. It's kind of hard to think of a weirder argument to make...

Galaxy is still selling great.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Yikes. It's kind of hard to think of a weirder argument to make...

Galaxy is still selling great.

Do you think they would have had more success (with the game and the hardware) if the launch Mario had been 2D?

One game, which by the way... is rated one of the best EVER, caused Wii to have problems in Japan?