By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Team Ico series has overtaken Zelda as greatest adventure series!! By MM.2.

I predict:

Zelda Wii 2010 will get 95% on GR/Metacritic and sell over 10 million copies lifetime.
(as a comparison Twilight Princess got 95% and sold 6.8 million on GC/Wii)

The Last Guardian will score 92% and sell 2.1 million copies lifetime.
(Shadow of the Colossus got 91% and sold 1.5 million on PS2)

As a sidenote:

The Elder Scrolls 5 will score 93% and sell 7 million copies on PS360+PC.
(TES 4: Oblivion got 94% and sold 5.5 million on PS360+PC)

Around the Network
Raido said:
megaman.2. said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
megaman.2. said:
You looking for a fight, flameboy? If so, read on:

Link's Awakening, on the original Game Boy in 1993, is better than anything the Ico Team has made, including The Last Guardian. And before you rattle off the old "Zelda is stale" rhetoric, let me remind you that the game doesn't have Zelda, Ganon, Hyrule, or the Triforce. (But it does have Shy Guys and Will Wright in it.)

Dear Rubang, The zelda series has been IN decline for many years now. Unfortunately people are too stubborn to voice their anger, Team Ico games have taken it to the next level. Thank you Link for all that you have done but step aside it's Last Guardian's time Baby

That's exactly what an uninformed goon who hasn't played Link's Awakening would say.

And I wouldn't say Zelda's in decline.  Twilight Princess was far more enjoyable than Ocarina of Time.

Steady sir

Fair enough I have not played Link's awakening, but I have played Twilight Princess, Wind waker, Majora's mask and Ocarina of time. My background of playing zelda is not too shabby, at the end of the day my good friend. The Ico games are far more unique than zelda, Shadow of the colussus will put any Zelda game to shame. With the Last Guardian and the new zelda set for 2010 things are looking interesting

Im ready for round 3 sir

lol, you call SotC unique? It has 16 endbosses and every endboss looks like an endboss from Zelda games...

i find this thread annoying as well...but making a comment like this makes you even worse than he is.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Avinash_Tyagi said:
c0rd said:

Sorry, but Avinash_Tyagi's argument is so ridiculous that I just have to put my 2 cents in.

I'm not sure if you understand, but your theory of quality = sales must agree with one of two things:

1. Marketing, popularity, price, (and some other factors) affect sales. We can then conclude that these 3 also affect quality. It's kind of strange that you think commercials and price cuts can make a game better, don't you think?
  2. Marketing, popularity, and price do not affect sales. This is even more ridiculous than the first point, so I'll assume you won't agree with this one.

Alright, on topic - I haven't yet tried Ico, but Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games ever. It stands out from all other games - while the same can be said about the Zelda series, the same cannot be said about the most recent Zelda games. SotC had a bigger impact on me than TP, for example.

Even then, TP was an amazing game. The Team Ico series has a ways to go before it overthrows a series containing: Zelda 1, ALttP, OoT, to name a few.

See your argument is flawed, because many games that have marketing and price cuts don't sell and many games continue to sell long after the marketing and price no longer matter, when was the last time starcraft had commericals?  Still sells great even after all these years.  Popularity occurs because people like a game so the market is making a decision in popularity based on what they prefer.  Sales remin the only objective measure of the market's preference.  What the market prefers, they will buy, even when the commercials are not there

An example, xbox 360 and PS3 get a lot of marketing, I see tons of commercials for 360 and PS3 games and hardware, much more than for Wii, but they are still getting slaughered by the Wii, even with price cuts they Wii continues to outsell them, even with the arcade dropping below the Wii's price, Wii keeps on selling.  The popularity of the Wii is based on the market preferring the Wii.   When the generation began 360 was already out and had tons of marketing and PS3 was expected to dominate.  But what we have seen is the Wii has thundered into an insurmountable lead

Are you going with option #2 then? Marketing / price don't affect sales?

What "many games" have done is irrelevent. It doesn't change the truth of the bullet points - your argument must agree with one of the two. If there's something wrong with the logic though, do let me know.

Torillian said:
Raido said:
megaman.2. said:
megaman.2. said:
You looking for a fight, flameboy? If so, read on:

Link's Awakening, on the original Game Boy in 1993, is better than anything the Ico Team has made, including The Last Guardian. And before you rattle off the old "Zelda is stale" rhetoric, let me remind you that the game doesn't have Zelda, Ganon, Hyrule, or the Triforce. (But it does have Shy Guys and Will Wright in it.)

Dear Rubang, The zelda series has been IN decline for many years now. Unfortunately people are too stubborn to voice their anger, Team Ico games have taken it to the next level. Thank you Link for all that you have done but step aside it's Last Guardian's time Baby

That's exactly what an uninformed goon who hasn't played Link's Awakening would say.

And I wouldn't say Zelda's in decline.  Twilight Princess was far more enjoyable than Ocarina of Time.

Steady sir

Fair enough I have not played Link's awakening, but I have played Twilight Princess, Wind waker, Majora's mask and Ocarina of time. My background of playing zelda is not too shabby, at the end of the day my good friend. The Ico games are far more unique than zelda, Shadow of the colussus will put any Zelda game to shame. With the Last Guardian and the new zelda set for 2010 things are looking interesting

Im ready for round 3 sir

lol, you call SotC unique? It has 16 endbosses and every endboss looks like an endboss from Zelda games...

I must've missed the zelda where he faced massive creatures he had to climb all over to defeat. 

It's not jumping and climbing around because it's underwater, but you do ride this giant monster in Twilight Princess:

@Rubang

And I think you know that looks nothing like the one colossus that was underwater, and then you have the other 15 that look even less like it.

Around the Network

after the hard task of reading the entire thread I've just got to comment

although i don't agree with sales = quality i do agree with Avinash_Tyagi

as previously stated sales = consumer opinion so therefore comparing consumer opinion, to the opinion of reviewers is a perfectly valid course of action. If review scores are usable to determine quality so should sales figures

on topic Zelda IMO is a better franchise but then i've still got to find the time to play both ICO and SotC

I'm losing my faith in humanity one bad thread at a time... :(

to state your opinion as fact from the beginning makes your thread a failure, sorry SONY leader dude

i think as their leader, maybe you should round up more of your soldiers to post and agree with you in this fight agains ICO FUD, lol :)

moral of the story: SONY leaders are bad thread-makers...... & Zelda RULEZ the planet :D

c0rd said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
c0rd said:

Sorry, but Avinash_Tyagi's argument is so ridiculous that I just have to put my 2 cents in.

I'm not sure if you understand, but your theory of quality = sales must agree with one of two things:

1. Marketing, popularity, price, (and some other factors) affect sales. We can then conclude that these 3 also affect quality. It's kind of strange that you think commercials and price cuts can make a game better, don't you think?
  2. Marketing, popularity, and price do not affect sales. This is even more ridiculous than the first point, so I'll assume you won't agree with this one.

Alright, on topic - I haven't yet tried Ico, but Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games ever. It stands out from all other games - while the same can be said about the Zelda series, the same cannot be said about the most recent Zelda games. SotC had a bigger impact on me than TP, for example.

Even then, TP was an amazing game. The Team Ico series has a ways to go before it overthrows a series containing: Zelda 1, ALttP, OoT, to name a few.

See your argument is flawed, because many games that have marketing and price cuts don't sell and many games continue to sell long after the marketing and price no longer matter, when was the last time starcraft had commericals?  Still sells great even after all these years.  Popularity occurs because people like a game so the market is making a decision in popularity based on what they prefer.  Sales remin the only objective measure of the market's preference.  What the market prefers, they will buy, even when the commercials are not there

An example, xbox 360 and PS3 get a lot of marketing, I see tons of commercials for 360 and PS3 games and hardware, much more than for Wii, but they are still getting slaughered by the Wii, even with price cuts they Wii continues to outsell them, even with the arcade dropping below the Wii's price, Wii keeps on selling.  The popularity of the Wii is based on the market preferring the Wii.   When the generation began 360 was already out and had tons of marketing and PS3 was expected to dominate.  But what we have seen is the Wii has thundered into an insurmountable lead

Are you going with option #2 then? Marketing / price don't affect sales?

What "many games" have done is irrelevent. It doesn't change the truth of the bullet points - your argument must agree with one of the two. If there's something wrong with the logic though, do let me know.

No actually I don't have to agree with either bullet point, because neither is accurate, see the truth is it may have no effect, or it may have a small effect, as there are plenty of cases where marketing has little or no effect on sales, many games without commericals sell very well and many games with commercials sell very poorly, however, we can't be certain that marketing has no effect, since we can't compare the same game selling both with or without marketing, so the conclusion is that if it does have an effect, its a small one.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

No actually I don't have to agree with either bullet point, because neither is accurate, see the truth is it may have no effect, or it may have a small effect, as there are plenty of cases where marketing has little or no effect on sales, many games without commericals sell very well and many games with commercials sell very poorly, however, we can't be certain that marketing has no effect, since we can't compare the same game selling both with or without marketing, so the conclusion is that if it does have an effect, its a small one.

That is the longest sentence I've ever read, or close to.

pearljammer said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

That is the longest sentence I've ever read, or close to.

I've written longer, although I usually use semicolons to do so, longest was two pages one time

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)