By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Casual gaming, why Microsoft finally gets it and Sony still doesn't.

Sony's wishful thinking

So I'm reading incoming SCEE boss Andrew House's comments about Wii gamers eventually upgrading to the PS3 because of Blu-Ray and a greater wealth of network experiences and it seems to be pretty obvious (at least to me) that Sony still doesn't understand the new demographics that the Wii has so successfully targetted.  It's the same lack of understanding that has been on display at E3 for the past few years, first with the introduction of the sixaxis controller and this year with the display of their motion-sensing technology.

Perception is half the battle

When the Wii was first introduced to the World it immediately began to grab headlines and enter the public consciousness, not just for what the technology was but also for what many people imagined the technology to be.  People imagined the Wii remote to be a 1:1 device that perfectly captured a bowling or tennis swing and immediately showed the response onscreen.  It didn't matter that this wasn't the reality.  It still got people excited and the Wii delivered with games that were fun for a new audience as well as with many traditional gamers.

This year's E3 was interesting not only because both Microsoft and Sony showed off their motion-sensing technology but also because it has shown for the first time that one of Nintendo's competitors may have finally figured out the formula that helped to jumpstart the Wii phenomena.  The differences in the presentations between the two unveilings couldn't have been any more stark.  Microsoft had what is probably one of the most slick introductions of any new technology ever while Sony's presentation seemed to be unguided and unprepared.

Even if both technologies turn out to be similar or even if Sony's is superior it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft has scored a major victory in the battle of public perception.  From newspaper headlines to television talk shows it's interesting to see how Microsoft's showing is being talked about and Sony's seems to have been all but forgotten.  Some people seem to want to try to find fault with the controls but the same could be said about those that complained about the Wii's, they simply don't get it.  It doesn't matter if the controls are prefect or not, if Microsoft is able to deliver with games and other software that is fun it's likely they'll meet with success.

Milo is the Teddy Ruxpin of videogames

Sony isn't the only one that doesn't get it, many videogame fans don't seem to get it as well and that couldn't have been more obvious than with the introduction of Milo.  Milo is obviously not aimed at the hardcore gamer, but that didn't stop many from asking why Milo wasn't a hot woman or calling it creepy that he was a boy.  What they fail to understand is that Milo is aimed at children and is meant to be like a Teddy Ruxpin for them.  It doesn't matter if it's all smoke and mirrors because at the end of the day the audience it's being marketed to won't be discussing its AI or speech recognition, they'll simply be happy that it reacts to them.  The software's ability to pick out some words will be more than enough to keep them enthralled with their digital playmate.

Malstrom doesn't get it as well

From what I've read it appears that Malstrom may not understand what Microsoft is trying to do.  Project Natal is simply not a response to Sony.  Not once during the presentation was Sony even mentioned and Microsoft made it very obvious that they are targetting the Wii's new demographics.  As for the "whimper of the hardcore dreams", while it's very obvious that Microsoft is aiming this at the new audience they are not going to stop making Halo or Forza games and have indicated they will give the option of using motion-sensing with them.  This also goes for traditional multi-platform games so the hardcore will see HD games that use motion-sensing controls.

On the issue of porting, Microsoft is aiming to create experiences that differentiates its console from the competition.   This is much like the DS has done, so porting is likely the last thing they want.  As for third-parties making motion-sensing HD games from the ground up, if some are willing to make games for the PS3 with it's current installed base and made exclusives for the 360 during its first year, it's hard to imagine some not wanting to jump in and become the 360's "Wii Sports" if Microsoft's motion-sensing offering takes off.  It's also likely that Microsoft will offer incentives (advertising, free licensing, etc) to get the support they need since they'll have so much riding on the technology.

The End

Around the Network

You wrote this?

Can you write my TPS reports for work? I'll give you money... :)

Very clear and resonable thinking about Project Natal btw.

Basically the gist I got from this was I love MS more than anything else so let me twist everything around to support it. But looking at the poster I can't say I'm surprised.

Nintendo was successful because not only of the technology but of course perception as you mentioned it. But they both forgot the most important part.  COMMITMENT.  Something Nintendo has done successfully while theirs seem to be more of an afterthough.

What made Ninty so successful was commitment to the idea. Commitment to all form of gamers and the ability to bring that out in a timely fashion. I don't think Sony or MS understand that yet. Bringing them something easier to play with a good pricepoint and games that everyone whether core or casual can play.

Milo on the other hand looked like a scripted thing they put together 5 mins before the conference. Apart from being the future of AI they didn't show any potential or really backing to what this could possibly be for. Accept for people without friends to talk to, it was simply showing off something extremely creepy.

Malstrom totally gets it though. As you just said its all about perception and that is what NATAL was about and that is what MS is trying to do. Make it appear as if they are preparing for the future and supporting everyone by showing off something that isn't even close to ready. Even further there is no commitment behind it whatsoever. How do we know that in a year from now there will be nothing on it and will just completely go silent.

You are right about the idea along with the output that Nintendo has been successful with. But you forget the most important success behind the Wii. Nintendo's commitment to the strategy. Commitment to disrupt the market, provide to all gamers, and make gaming more accessible. You didn't see that from MS. You didn't see that from Sony. That is what Malstrom is talking about... that is what I'm talking about. If MS and Sony want to do what Nintendo is doing they need to show a commitment to the ideology and strategy. Not just make it look like they are committed but actually be committed. If Nintendo would have talked up the Wii and motion sensing and all the great things it did and then Wii Sports not be at launch and classic controller bundled in with the console... they would have failed.

so now its "casual gamer FTW"?

i thought milo was aimed at only child kids whose parents ignore them because they are too busy doing adult things?

or was it aimed at the middle aged cat lady who has low self esteem and wants to have her own children but cant due to her lack of male figure in smex it up with?

either way....milo is pretty creepy. i know one person who is going to have a good time and for all the wrong reasons

Around the Network

Wow people you guys love walls of text o_o;

PullusPardus said:

Yes going under the assumption that people can read usually they are fun.  However, that assumption is generally wrong.

Good read and pretty much agree.

Microsoft may have staged everything shown at the keynote, it doesn't matter. They put the idea of people playing with Natal and having fun with it. It sparked our imaginations of the things that could be done and that intrigued us.

Sony, on the other hand, just made their product look laughable by having a completely amateur demonstration. If someone told me that some execs from Sony stuck two guys in a basement for two months, asked them to make some kind of motion controller, and then told them the day of the E3 conference they were going to be showing it I would not be surprised or the least bit skeptical.

I'm a little upset that someone else finally learned Nintendo's secret but I'm also pretty happy a whole new group of people will get exposed to something new and interested to see what people come up.

I know those videos were staged but that still doesn't change the fact they did a perfect job at telling me what I could be enjoying 6 months or two years down the line.

twesterm said:
Good read and pretty much agree.

Microsoft may have staged everything shown at the keynote, it doesn't matter. They put the idea of people playing with Natal and having fun with it. It sparked our imaginations of the things that could be done and that intrigued us.

Sony, on the other hand, just made their product look laughable by having a completely amateur demonstration. If someone told me that some execs from Sony stuck two guys in a basement for two months, asked them to make some kind of motion controller, and then told them the day of the E3 conference they were going to be showing it I would not be surprised or the least bit skeptical.

I'm a little upset that someone else finally learned Nintendo's secret but I'm also pretty happy a whole new group of people will get exposed to something new and interested to see what people come up.

I know those videos were staged but that still doesn't change the fact they did a perfect job at telling me what I could be enjoying 6 months or two years down the line.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2234026

Well look at that, I should get a analyst spot on gametrailers discussions... :)

Zucas said:
PullusPardus said:

Yes going under the assumption that people can read usually they are fun.  However, that assumption is generally wrong.

haha, okay.

but i do agree with the OP, reason why, "Casual" people doesn't want any tech and "Geeky" stuff like Sony's demo , they just want to have a video showing the gameplay and with people having fun with each other, they don't know its fake or false or scripted, or anything they just want to have fun. and thats exactly what microsoft did, and what nintendo been doing since the wii and ds got released.