By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Casual gaming, why Microsoft finally gets it and Sony still doesn't.

Shadowblind said:
naznatips said:

So, basically every console vs. PC? Seriously people don't talk about "realizing visions" when we all know the major differences in capability between modern PCs and consoles. I mean Crytek had to actually downgrade their engine to put Crysis 2 on consoles. Am I the only one who finds that incredibly sad?

It's not about visions, it's about budgets. Also You really think any motion control has no issues? There are major issues with the Natal's recognition of finite movement right now (anyone who was actually there enjoyed watching the avatar bend the wrong ways at the joints as he tried to manipulate it) and signifficant recognition and time-delay issues.

And yes, Nintendo absolutely strived to combine core and casual controls into one system. And no, that's not what Microsoft is doing. Microsoft is trying to divide audiences. Trying to say "these are your games, and these are your games. Don't play with the kids on the other side at all." You realize the entire point of what Nintendo does is to make games playable by everyone and enjoyable on completely different levels depending on the gamer (see: Mario Kart, Brawl, Pokemon, Galaxy). Microsoft and Sony completely missed the point.

Explain to me which part or Microsoft saying that they "plan to make halo and Call of Duty Natal compatible" is dividing their audience,. If your talking about dividing the groups into "casuals and hardcore", thats simply because Nintendo has always made Mario, Zelda, etc. games marketed towards kids in the first place. The difference is that they are also enjoyable by adults as well.  Microsoft isn't "dividing" their audience by making Natal, they are using the tech to both gain a new audience and increase their existing audience.

The power difference between the 360, PS3 and PC is much smaller then the difference between the said three and the Wii. MGS4 was "Kojima's Vision." And he said it couldn't be done on an Xbox 360, which may or may not be BS. But he didn't say "oh it could only be done on PC", because the power similarities were so close. Visions BS. PC is so similar in power to consoles right now it hardly matters. Only PC game with better graphics then a console right now is Crysis.

You don't understand that Microsoft has established the Xbox through mainly gritty M rated games, unlike Nintendo who establihed it through sunshine and Kokori E-T rated games. They haven't missed the point at all, on the contrary they are trying to create a new foundation so that they can appeal to the casual crowd as well as evolve their hardcore crowd using Natal for both Halo and Banjo-Kazooie(example). I just repeated myself i think.

You're wrong. Nintendo games are specifically and intentionally created with multiple levels of depth. For example, Brawl's competitive without the items and depending on the stage. There is a huge league for competitive Mario Kart using Wiimote + Nunchuk controls, and Pokemon is one of the most intensely competitive and strategic online metagames on the market. There are absolutely exceptions to this. Metroid is only for core gamer experiences, even though it makes some use of motion controls. The opposite is true of Mario Party, even though it makes some use of standard controls. 

Show me what Microsoft can do with Call of Duty and Natal. Make you walk in place to go forward? turn your body to turn the camera? And people complain about Wii controls being imprecise or gimmicky. There are absolutely uses for Natal, but you are blinding yourself with brand if you really see this having equal uses in core games to something that combines human interface with motion controls.

Oh, and PC is already in the next level above consoles. Something consoles won't reach properly till next gen, because there is a massive gap in power. The difference between the rig you need to run this tech and a PS3 or 360 vs. a Wii is actually a pretty similar gap.

I love my PS3 and 360. I play both more than my Wii, without a doubt, but these motion controls are not even in the same league for the kinds of games I play, nor will they be effectively used in them. The Wii may not have as many games of the genres I play, but when they do make them with motion controls they are effective and functional and meld with teh core game mechanics well. MS and Sony have completely failed me here, and I'm very disappointed with them.

PS: And bull-fucking-shit at all Nintendo games being marketed to kids. Play Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Eternal Darkness, Golden Sun, or any of half-a-dozen other Nintendo franchises marketed to the same teenage-to-adult audience that the 360 and PS3 target.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Akvod said:
Squilliam said:

I didn't have any ill intent with answering you, I was just giving you an answer to explain why people may be more interested in the new controllers for the PS3 and Xbox 360 than the Wii. They may have looked like haters but many of the responses to the Wii were based on what people felt were legitimate concerns. The fact that they were also treated like haters and dismissed also fuels the fire and causes bad blood on both sides. The issues are complicated and many people simply fixate on a single issue to represent all of their issues with a console. One thing I can be sure about is that there are too many people willing to defend their beliefs anything less than blindly which causes many hurt feelings.

I never took any ill intent XD

I agree that there are many genuinely interested people touting NATAL and PSmote, but I would like to convince you to agree that there were haters and it's not so strange/out of question for Wii fans to go "WTF". There were a good number of people that were revealed as hypocrites and blind fanboys, and I think it's perfectly acceptiable and understandable why Nintendo fans will argue a double standard, hypocricy, and be a bit pissed off as a result.

I can't speak about other people but for me its always been a love/hate relationship with my Wii, I love it more than I hate it, so its like family! Unfortunately the real haters are likely the media. Someone just told me on steam the attitude of the press towards Nintendo on the show floor at E3.

Well you gotta agree that the Wii vitality sensor was a pretty fucking dumb idea... oh shit *runs away from mods and Wii fanboys*

(Actually I can see it sorta working for a horror game).

Akvod said:
Squilliam said:
Akvod said:
Squilliam said:

I didn't have any ill intent with answering you, I was just giving you an answer to explain why people may be more interested in the new controllers for the PS3 and Xbox 360 than the Wii. They may have looked like haters but many of the responses to the Wii were based on what people felt were legitimate concerns. The fact that they were also treated like haters and dismissed also fuels the fire and causes bad blood on both sides. The issues are complicated and many people simply fixate on a single issue to represent all of their issues with a console. One thing I can be sure about is that there are too many people willing to defend their beliefs anything less than blindly which causes many hurt feelings.

I never took any ill intent XD

I agree that there are many genuinely interested people touting NATAL and PSmote, but I would like to convince you to agree that there were haters and it's not so strange/out of question for Wii fans to go "WTF". There were a good number of people that were revealed as hypocrites and blind fanboys, and I think it's perfectly acceptiable and understandable why Nintendo fans will argue a double standard, hypocricy, and be a bit pissed off as a result.

I can't speak about other people but for me its always been a love/hate relationship with my Wii, I love it more than I hate it, so its like family! Unfortunately the real haters are likely the media. Someone just told me on steam the attitude of the press towards Nintendo on the show floor at E3.

Well you gotta agree that the Wii vitality sensor was a pretty fucking dumb idea... oh shit *runs away from mods and Wii fanboys*

(Actually I can see it sorta working for a horror game).

Ugh, don't even get me started on that stupid thing. The entire time he was showing it off I thought it was a joke. What a waste of 5 minutes of my life. Luckily Metroid then came and made me a happy nerd.

naznatips said:

Ugh, don't even get me started on that stupid thing. The entire time he was showing it off I thought it was a joke. What a waste of 5 minutes of my life. Luckily Metroid then came and made me a happy nerd.

naznatips said:
Shadowblind said:
naznatips said:

So, basically every console vs. PC? Seriously people don't talk about "realizing visions" when we all know the major differences in capability between modern PCs and consoles. I mean Crytek had to actually downgrade their engine to put Crysis 2 on consoles. Am I the only one who finds that incredibly sad?

It's not about visions, it's about budgets. Also You really think any motion control has no issues? There are major issues with the Natal's recognition of finite movement right now (anyone who was actually there enjoyed watching the avatar bend the wrong ways at the joints as he tried to manipulate it) and signifficant recognition and time-delay issues.

And yes, Nintendo absolutely strived to combine core and casual controls into one system. And no, that's not what Microsoft is doing. Microsoft is trying to divide audiences. Trying to say "these are your games, and these are your games. Don't play with the kids on the other side at all." You realize the entire point of what Nintendo does is to make games playable by everyone and enjoyable on completely different levels depending on the gamer (see: Mario Kart, Brawl, Pokemon, Galaxy). Microsoft and Sony completely missed the point.

Explain to me which part or Microsoft saying that they "plan to make halo and Call of Duty Natal compatible" is dividing their audience,. If your talking about dividing the groups into "casuals and hardcore", thats simply because Nintendo has always made Mario, Zelda, etc. games marketed towards kids in the first place. The difference is that they are also enjoyable by adults as well.  Microsoft isn't "dividing" their audience by making Natal, they are using the tech to both gain a new audience and increase their existing audience.

The power difference between the 360, PS3 and PC is much smaller then the difference between the said three and the Wii. MGS4 was "Kojima's Vision." And he said it couldn't be done on an Xbox 360, which may or may not be BS. But he didn't say "oh it could only be done on PC", because the power similarities were so close. Visions BS. PC is so similar in power to consoles right now it hardly matters. Only PC game with better graphics then a console right now is Crysis.

You don't understand that Microsoft has established the Xbox through mainly gritty M rated games, unlike Nintendo who establihed it through sunshine and Kokori E-T rated games. They haven't missed the point at all, on the contrary they are trying to create a new foundation so that they can appeal to the casual crowd as well as evolve their hardcore crowd using Natal for both Halo and Banjo-Kazooie(example). I just repeated myself i think.

You're wrong. Nintendo games are specifically and intentionally created with multiple levels of depth. For example, Brawl's competitive without the items and depending on the stage. There is a huge league for competitive Mario Kart using Wiimote + Nunchuk controls, and Pokemon is one of the most intensely competitive and strategic online metagames on the market. There are absolutely exceptions to this. Metroid is only for core gamer experiences, even though it makes some use of motion controls. The opposite is true of Mario Party, even though it makes some use of standard controls. 

Show me what Microsoft can do with Call of Duty and Natal. Make you walk in place to go forward? turn your body to turn the camera? And people complain about Wii controls being imprecise or gimmicky. There are absolutely uses for Natal, but you are blinding yourself with brand if you really see this having equal uses in core games to something that combines human interface with motion controls.

Oh, and PC is already in the next level above consoles. Something consoles won't reach properly till next gen, because there is a massive gap in power. The difference between the rig you need to run this tech and a PS3 or 360 vs. a Wii is actually a pretty similar gap.

I love my PS3 and 360. I play both more than my Wii, without a doubt, but these motion controls are not even in the same league for the kinds of games I play, nor will they be effectively used in them. The Wii may not have as many games of the genres I play, but when they do make them with motion controls they are effective and functional and meld with teh core game mechanics well. MS and Sony have completely failed me here, and I'm very disappointed with them.

PS: And bull-fucking-shit at all Nintendo games being marketed to kids. Play Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Eternal Darkness, Golden Sun, or any of half-a-dozen other Nintendo franchises marketed to the same teenage-to-adult audience that the 360 and PS3 target.

Try showing me which part of my post said that Nintendo games don't have depth. Hence exactly why I said they are enjoyable by adults too, but are created and marketed towards kids. Zelda, Super Smash bros, and Mario are all the highest selling nintendo games and are marketed to kids. I'm not speaking of all Nintendo games, just as I wasn't speaking of all Microsoft games when I said they are marketed towards that M rated audience. Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata, etc. are marketed towards kids as are Zelda and mario. Eternal Darkness and Metroid are marketed towards the older audience as are Halo and Gears of War.

I'm posted it many times before, and likely within the next year or two I will be posting it more times; someone would have to be ignorant to think Microsoft wouldn't allow controllers and Natal to be used in unison, either with the standard controller, peripherals, or an entirely new controller consisting of very few buttons, an analog, etc.. Microsoft would be simply idiotic to think that Halo or Call of Duty would not need to use some form of physical device to control you character itself. Natal can be used for basically any other action I can think of with standard FPS games except movement, which would break the entire game. By mixing in full body controls and a physical controller, albeit with less buttons, any genre is possible to be created in any number of ways utilizing Natal. Thats an argument that works as much as Natal doesn't. If Natal works correctly by the time of its release then any genre of game would be possible. If it doesn't, microsoft has the cluster**** of this generation on their hands.

PC's abilities are huge. But until I see definate proof of a game running that completely blows current gen systems out of the water in more terms then graphics, I'm not convinced that the PS3 and 360 are so far behind the PC.

I play my consoles about equally. I'm buying House of the Dead: OK hopefully next week. But in terms of gaming possibilities, if Natal actually works (IF) then its hard for me to imagine a game type on the Wii also not running fine on Natal.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

Actually it's graphics that are the thing you aren't seeing the difference in anymore. Graphics have plateaued. That's why this generation is going to extend for so long. In that sense Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony are all very smart and on top of things. This generation needs to be extended by changing the existing experience, rather than creating an entirely new console.

The 360 and PS3 have already managed to put a handful of developers out of business with their costs, and I'm sure will destroy even more before this is over. If Microsoft or Sony upgraded again anytime in the next 3 years it would destroy both them and multiple third parties. We are in for the long haul this gen, which is good for both us as gamers and the industry, as much less money will be wasted.

Also, I understand it will probably be used with the controller. What I'm asking is what good that does? There's only so many motions you can do with your hands glued together. Maybe you're right though and they'll release their own Wiimote + Nunchuk copy. If they do that though they are only reaffirming Nintendo as the market leader, which will boost Nintendo's sales more than theirs (this happens to Microsoft all the time in their expansion market product copy plans).

Akvod said:
Squilliam said:
Zucas said:

Basically the gist I got from this was I love MS more than anything else so let me twist everything around to support it. But looking at the poster I can't say I'm surprised.

You know, theres a pen name called Sean Malstrom that this quote really reminds me of. Do you see the connection or am I just being a bit slow?

I do think that the Nintendo fanboys do have a legitimate point/grudge... I mean comeon, for YEARS you've been ragged on about motion controls, and the same people, after 1 day, turn around and say that motion control is everything and that Nintendo's motion control is inferior?

You gotta be able to understand/feel for them a little bit at least.

Um excuse you.  What did you just call me?  I mean I can understand ignorance but blatant disrespect I will not tolerate.  I am no mere fanboy that slaves himself to his own biases and ambitions for some silly pledge of loyalty.  I own Nintendo consoles along with MS ones while my brother owns playstation ones.  I am admantly trying to get a PS3 as soon as the price drops.  Only hardware I show absolutely no interest in is the PSP and it is only because I barely use the DS.  I own lots of games for all my consoles because I don't have a loyalty or allegiance to one but I simply like video games and buy and play them when I feel I need to.  I'm a gamer.  If you are going to make a mistake, at least be courteous about it such that you don't feel too much like a jerk.

Zucas said:
Akvod said:
Squilliam said:
Zucas said:

Basically the gist I got from this was I love MS more than anything else so let me twist everything around to support it. But looking at the poster I can't say I'm surprised.

You know, theres a pen name called Sean Malstrom that this quote really reminds me of. Do you see the connection or am I just being a bit slow?

I do think that the Nintendo fanboys do have a legitimate point/grudge... I mean comeon, for YEARS you've been ragged on about motion controls, and the same people, after 1 day, turn around and say that motion control is everything and that Nintendo's motion control is inferior?

Um excuse you.  What did you just call me?  I mean I can understand ignorance but blatant disrespect I will not tolerate.  I am no mere fanboy that slaves himself to his own biases and ambitions for some silly pledge of loyalty.  I own Nintendo consoles along with MS ones while my brother owns playstation ones.  I am admantly trying to get a PS3 as soon as the price drops.  Only hardware I show absolutely no interest in is the PSP and it is only because I barely use the DS.  I own lots of games for all my consoles because I don't have a loyalty or allegiance to one but I simply like video games and buy and play them when I feel I need to.  I'm a gamer.  If you are going to make a mistake, at least be courteous about it such that you don't feel too much like a jerk.

I was reffering to Squilliam's post about people like Malstrom (who is a fanboy), not you. I'm sorry your name got caught up in the quote, but I wasn't reffering to your post at all. So calm down.

Akvod said:
Zucas said:
Akvod said:
Squilliam said:
Zucas said:

I was reffering to Squilliam's post about people like Malstrom (who is a fanboy), not you. I'm sorry your name got caught up in the quote, but I wasn't reffering to your post at all. So calm down.

Just making sure. 

naznatips said:
Actually it's graphics that are the thing you aren't seeing the difference in anymore. Graphics have plateaued. That's why this generation is going to extend for so long. In that sense Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony are all very smart and on top of things. This generation needs to be extended by changing the existing experience, rather than creating an entirely new console.

The 360 and PS3 have already managed to put a handful of developers out of business with their costs, and I'm sure will destroy even more before this is over. If Microsoft or Sony upgraded again anytime in the next 3 years it would destroy both them and multiple third parties. We are in for the long haul this gen, which is good for both us as gamers and the industry, as much less money will be wasted.

Also, I understand it will probably be used with the controller. What I'm asking is what good that does? There's only so many motions you can do with your hands glued together. Maybe you're right though and they'll release their own Wiimote + Nunchuk copy. If they do that though they are only reaffirming Nintendo as the market leader, which will boost Nintendo's sales more than theirs (this happens to Microsoft all the time in their expansion market product copy plans).

While I don't think graphics have flatlined yet, I will say that yes, graphics are the only thing I'm really seeing a difference in between PC games and console games. In that way, I find the PC having more in common with the PS3 and 360, in terms of graphics and gameplay(I would unconciously attribute that to the Wii having a different control scheme.)

The 360 and PS3's HD costs are more then Wii costs. I wouldn't attribute the collapse of developers like Free Radical, who were actually bought anyway, to HD console development so much as the economy.  Which developers are you referring to?

I'm imagining something more along the lines of just the nun-chuk wireless device rather then both a Wii-mote AND a nun-chuk, and probably many different peripherals for different genres of games. I wouldn't put it past them, Nintendo released lots of different periphs for the Wii and it already had the Wiimote to begin with. I highly doubt it'd boost Wii sales, but most people already know that Natal and Sony's wands are both based in an attempt to counter nintendo's success.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.