By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve shuts out "Too Complicated" PS3

Valve Shuts out “Too Complicated” PS3...

At E3 while checking out Left 4 Dead 2, I had a chance to talk to a few of the game’s developers at Valve. Amongst questions about the game, I snuck in a bit asking why Valve won’t develop for the PS3. It’s not because they’re a small studio, it’s because the PS3 is too complex. Game designer Tom Leonard had this to say:

"The PC and the 360 are just more straightforward. We can focus on what we want to do, which is make game experiences, instead of sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions they make with their platform. [...] I didn’t come into this business in the 90s because of some technical fetish. I came in because I wanted to give people experiences that made them have fun."

That’s not to say the PS3 doesn’t have some fun games, but Valve chooses to take the route of less resistance. And with Sony saying the PS3 is intentionally hard to to develop for, Valve might have a point. But I think they’re choosing the Xbox 360 because of the similar architecture and coding as PC gaming, which is their bread and butter. Either way, don’t expect Valve games to grace your PS3 anytime soon.

http://loot-ninja.com/2009/06/09/valve-shuts-out-too-complicated-ps3/

Around the Network

It's ashame... they must be crap devs if they are the only ones having trouble anymore.

After spending a little time on L4D pc version, I think I expected too much from it.

JEDE3 said:
It's ashame... they must be crap devs if they are the only ones having trouble anymore.

They are not the only ones.

They are also not saying that they couldn't do it, just that it would not be worth it to them.

nightsurge - which devs are still having problems? and are you saying they are just lazy?

Around the Network

So they are saying they are too lazy to work on the ps3? "We dont feel like sweating bullets", thats what it sounds like to me

mM

Sony needs to make some kind of translation sftware that can easily port games from PC to ps3

Valve: lazy game developers that are afraid of new things. CONFIRMED! I have never been a fan of theirs .

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

JEDE3 said:

They are one of the best devs going.

Its just they seem to be lazy.

"instead of sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions"

That made me laugh ^ XD

Regardless I don't really care if they do or don't publish their games on the ps3. Though I would get L4D on the ps3 (split screen) .. I normally get valve games on the pc anyways.

Check out my game about moles ^