By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii at Christmas 2007

I don't think you will get more than $350 for a console if they go 'short'... They never really got much over that on ebay even when demand for the unit was extreme.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

My prediction has been for a long time that through Q3 the Wii will sell ~6m.

The breakdown will be

Oct - 1.2m
Nov - 2m
Dec - 2.8m

I think it would easily sell more in Dec but there is likely to be a supply issue as most everyone understands at this point. If you go by the current supply situation that would mean Nov would see an extra 800k units and Dec would see an extra 1.6m units for a total of about 2.4m extra units acrossed Nov/Dec.

I think some of the extra units will be supply increase, some will be retailers who will be stockpiling so that they can have some extra incentive to lure in holiday shoppers, and some of it will be Nintendo Stockpile (I know some people don't buy this but whatever).

I'm guessing that by the end of Oct production will be a bit higher than we will have sufficient evidense to conclude which could account for about 150k per month of the 2.4m which would leave 2.1m to be stockpiled by retailers or Nintendo. Estimates of just how much Nintendo or retailers would/could stockpile is mostly speculation so I won't go into it. But suffice it to say that this is about what I expect but I won't be shocked if its off by +/- 1m units. Although I would probably be a bit more surprised by it being above rather than below.

To Each Man, Responsibility
kn said:
I don't think you will get more than $350 for a console if they go 'short'... They never really got much over that on ebay even when demand for the unit was extreme.

If Nintendo ships more than (about) 4 Million consoles worldwide I think you will be correct; the profit available will not be worth the effort.

If they're shipping around 2 Million there will be lots of people with more money than brains to pay whatevery you ask.

Buy your Wii NOW. When Mario Galaxy comes out things will be insane until March 08.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

See I ask this because I need some other's opinions on whether or not I should stock up and sell during Christmas. Thanks for your opinions.

Edit: I've seen this a lot and I don't get it; what foes QFT mean? 

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network

I have 5 Wii's sitting around that are going to pay for my games this holiday.... hehehe.

cdude1034 said:

See I ask this because I need some other's opinions on whether or not I should stock up and sell during Christmas. Thanks for your opinions.

Edit: I've seen this a lot and I don't get it; what foes QFT mean?

QFT = Quoted for truth.

Its meaning is context based.  

-If they seem to agree it means they are repeating the quote because its true.

-Some times its used to prevent people from editing their post and is meant more as "Quoted for truthfulness" sort of thing.

I think there are a few more but those are the two major meanings. 

^I always thought it was the latter, until I got a little better at understanding the context.

I always thought it meant Quite F***ing true. :shrugs:

Another use was "Quit F'ing talking" so like i said...context is very important lol