By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Another price cut rumor..

tedsteriscool said:
ironman said:
tedsteriscool said:
Get rid of wifi, the glossy exterior, shrink the die sizes, give it a power brick, and release a slim and then I can see $300 happening.

Shrinking the die sizes would be excruciatingly expensive. A machining die is excruciatingly expensive.

Huh?

Lol, are we talking about the same kind of dies? 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network

I thought they'd have coupled a price cut with kZ2- that came and went. The next logical time was E3- one the grand stages for video games- again no cut. I'm guessing Sony isn't going to cut prices any time soon.

Orca_Azure said:
I thought they'd have coupled a price cut with kZ2- that came and went. The next logical time was E3- one the grand stages for video games- again no cut. I'm guessing Sony isn't going to cut prices any time soon.

There's still the TGS.

Sonys CEO basically confirmed a price drop.

When asked about a price drop he said he couldn't talk about that.
Then asked how they figured they would make their forecast shipment he said "you're just going to have to assume what our price strategy will be"

think there will be a price cut during chrismas or beginning of winter it´s sounds far more obvious

Around the Network

I reckon that a true PS3 price cut won't happen this year, instead this is what I think may just happen:-

1. PS3 slim announced at Leipzig Game Convention/TGS and then shortly released at the same current price of $399
2. Current phat PS3 will have a $100 price cut till they are sold out then the only model available will be the slim PS3
3. make a price cut next year or leave it as an available option depending on how the slim sales go

think about it, a slim would boost sales for the holiday season while making profit, and the product although 3 years old at that stage would look knew to those not really in the know. Not only that but the PS3 slim would have been designed for profitability and as well as to break even if the price cut has to be done, phasing out the phat PS3 will finally stop the bleeding, of course some may see through this, but for them they be able to get a phat PS3 for 100 cheaper which of course is not a true price cut, just one to phase out the old models, but at the same time it will be perceived as a price cut by many as well.

In any case, this will leave sony with an ace up it's sleeve for next year, and that of course would be a true price cut.

They have to eventually cut the price, so someday one of these rumors will be true

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

I'm getting tired of these rumors. There's always a price cut rumor....a price cut here, a price cut there...Sony's Number 1 objective is to make money. When they calculate that they can gain more money selling more consoles with a price cut than lose from the price cut...it will happen. Until then, they won't budge. Money talks....bullshit rumor walks.

D_Boy said:
I'm getting tired of these rumors. There's always a price cut rumor....a price cut here, a price cut there...Sony's Number 1 objective is to make money. When they calculate that they can gain more money selling more consoles with a price cut than lose from the price cut...it will happen. Until then, they won't budge. Money talks....bullshit rumor walks.

Sorry. Reality isn't as simple as that. If that were the case, then no company would ever sell anything at a loss. While profitiblity may be Sony's primary objective, it's not their only objective. Marketshare is also an objective that is just as important as profitibility and Sony will act in a way that aspires to attain both.

Seihyouken said:
D_Boy said:

Sorry. Reality isn't as simple as that. If that were the case, then no company would ever sell anything at a loss. While profitiblity may be Sony's primary objective, it's not their only objective. Marketshare is also an objective that is just as important as profitibility and Sony will act in a way that aspires to attain both.

I fully agree with that. But...they have been selling at a loss for a long time now. They are nearly at break even point...I think as soon as they reach break even point, they will drop the price to gain marketshare. As for now, marketshare is important, but having the funds to support that marketshare is even more important.