By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Another price cut rumor..

I expect one in November.. if the PSP GO sells well, if not dont expect one at all this year.

Would be stupid to cut the price when everyone is going back to school..

mM
Around the Network
TheSource said:

I was expecting a price cut in October, because it would be after Sony's second quarter of the fiscal year but still in time for the holiday rush.

Mid August is half way through the second quarter though, which does make some strategic sense if they can be profitable in the first half of the quarter, given that the PSP Go should sell at a pretty high profit margin during the Oct-Dec quarter even if Sony is losing money hand over fist with the PS3 hardware once again.

This guy is so cool...i believe..you should get your own forum called the source..where we get to ask you sales related questions

I don't know about the more expensive model, but I'm not sure Sony can afford to cut the $399 console a full 25%. It sounds as if the consoles are JUST creeeping into profitability, and could mainatin that (or keep losses minimized) with a $50 cut.

It could be this will be like their first "cut", and just discontinue the cheaper model before dropping the premium model down to $399.

Smashed said:

If duplicate, lock.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/992/992729p1.html

June 8, 2009 - E3 2009 came and went with no announcements of hardware price cuts from either company. This left many fans scratching their heads. Publishers, meanwhile, even came away disappointed. But not even a full week after the event have rumors of slashed prices starting to seep out.

Analyst Arvind Bhatia from Sterne Agee, an investment firm, reports (via Gamedaily) that sources say Sony will lower the price of the Playstation 3 by $100 this summer.

"Industry sources indicate Sony is planning a $100 price cut on the PS3 in mid-August, just prior the launch of Madden (8/18) and the start of the back to school shopping season. This will naturally be a positive for the industry," said Bhatia.

It will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the year. We should expect a price cut of some sort with most of the consoles in the next 6 to 10 months. But August seems a little too early.

Thoughts?

Right before the blockbuster UNCHARTED 2 comes out

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

The fact is that Sony is not going to lower the price unless they can keep their margine of loss down as well... either they have shrunk the die and/or they are taking more stuff out of the system. My guess is that they will junk that expensive exterior and take out wifi... they can easily support and 3rd party one on the shelf now or release their own. They'll maybe get rid of that expensive drive and replace it with a top loaded BR drive.

Around the Network

It would be great...if it were a $100.00 price cut. But I don't know if they will do it because of the added financial stress.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

That would be a good time for a price cut.

This fall is when most good ps3 exclusives come out, either in japan or America.

They might remove some of the storage capacity maybe? Make it 20 gb or less?

Get rid of wifi, the glossy exterior, shrink the die sizes, give it a power brick, and release a slim and then I can see $300 happening.

luvtospooge said:
That would be a good time for a price cut.

This fall is when most good ps3 exclusives come out, either in japan or America.

They might remove some of the storage capacity maybe? Make it 20 gb or less?

Lets be smart now, storage is NOT what raises the price of a PS3. Infact, it's probably one of the cheapest aspects of making it. Do you honestly think the 160gb ps3 vs the 80gb ps3 is worth the 100$ difference? NO. NOT AT ALL.

The Halo francise is the most overrated bland game to ever hit the console market. It provides a bad name to all FPS that even showed effort at creating an original entertaining plot.

I probably have more ps3 games than you :/ 

if they were going to cut the price they should of just announced it at E3