By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition to stop digital distribution from taking over

Leonidus said:
I think the speed of your internet effects how much you like it

I have a 6MB download connection.  I do use it for XBLA and VC games.  I don't have a problem with it for small games like that.  Those I can put onto a physical card to move around if I want.  Full games however, will have the issues I outlined.

Around the Network

You can petition all you want but it's not going to do any good. Digital distribution means no used game sales.

I hate digital distribution.

Leonidus said:
I think the speed of your internet effects how much you like it

nah i can download a game pretty fast. Storage is the problem

disolitude said:
Can you post a link to an opposite petition? I'd like to support DD.

This. I'm getting a PSP Go!, and I'm gonna love it

Around the Network

You might as well try petitioning the sun to stop causing sunburn and skin cancer.

Digital distribution is not controlled by one organization, and its already been embraced on console gaming. Its only a matter of time before your optical drive goes away forever, making it cheaper to make the system and games for it.

I don't mean to sound like I'm trolling your thread, but the petition is just plain technophobia. As our network capacities get better via fiberoptics, the eaiser it will be to acquire games.

Logic will prevail in the end, and there will be a happy medium for you to take your system or HD to a friend's house to play. The used game market will be the only system done away with. B&M shops can still exist, as my theory of digital local kiosks for people who dont wish to use the internet to dload games, or have crappy connections.

A happy medium can be found in digital distribution. Don't fear the future, it will be well thought out.

disolitude said:
Can you post a link to an opposite petition? I'd like to support DD.

This. Fuck Gamestop!

Edit: On second thought, I already sign that petition almost every Wednesday when the new XBLA game(s) hit.

pah i couldnt care less. less space cluttered by game cases

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I'm all for both formats. I like Digital Distribution, but it would never be my main mode of purchasing games. I like the convenience of disc/flash based media too much.

I can take my games with me anywhere and play them on any console. I can't do that with digital versions and I would be really sad if I couldn't bring my games over my brothers and play with him.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I think it just depends on the use of it. I think it's great to get content updates and such to games like TF2 and it's awesome to have the ability to redownload any of my games from Steam should I not have the disk available.

However, crap like intrusive DRM and gouging DLC (paying to 'complete' the game for example) can be annoying
----

You can still show off your game collection to others even if you don't have the disk. Take achievements/trophies, people can see the games you've played. If your on the PC, you could take all your game shortcuts and put them in a single folder to show to people or if you're feeling sassy, you could take a screenshot of that folder and print it out.

:P