By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition to stop digital distribution from taking over

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person that is against digital distribution as a industry standard.  I'm against it for practical reasons as well as nostalgic reasons.  

Nostalgically, I love to be able to look at my game collection, and with digital distribution, there's nothing for me to look at.  This means in the future, I wouldn't be able to continue to grow my collection.  That would make me sad.  

Practically, there's a whole mess of issues with digitally distributed games.  Issues which make continued playability a problem.  

The first is DRM.  Digital Distribution is promoted as a way to solve piracy....the only way a digitally distributed game can possibly help against piracy is having DRM added to your console games.  Otherwise, someone is going to figure out how to rip it to a disc and pirate it anyway. DRM is never GOOD for the consumer, it only ever antagonizes the consumer while trying to hamper the pirate...kinda like chemotherapy.

The second is the fallibility of storage devices.  No matter whether you are using a PS3 or a 360, your HDD is based on a magnetic disc.  Those have very high rates of failure(compared to discs and even compared to flash drives).  If your HDD dies, you lose your game.  Perhaps you can redownload it again, but what about if your HDD dies again? How often, and more importantly, how long, will you be able to redownload the game?  With a disc, as long as you don't damage the disc, it will always be playable.  I have 16 year old discs that still work...I do not have any hard drives working that are older than 5 years.  

Finally, what do you do with your game when the next generation of consoles is released?  Can you move your downloaded game from one console's hard drive to another and get the same playability as you would now?  For most games, and most systems, you'll be able to keep playing your old games...if it is on a disc. I'm not so sure about downloaded games.

The PSP Go! is the first test of whether or not digitally distributed games can overcome these problems I have with it...however, it appears that Sony itself is unaware of how to overcome the last issue.  How do PSP Go purchasers continue to play the games they've already bought? Sony doesn't know yet.  If they don't know yet, and the launch is coming in 4 or 5 months...how in the world can we feel comfortable with moving to a full digital distribution system of game purchasing?

If you are also against getting rid of physical media, please post here!

Around the Network

The day they stop physical media is the day I stop gaming.

"In the end, you're always on your own."

~ Squalll Leonheart

add me.
i hate digital distribution >:(

EDIT- Actually nevermind. I quite like it, don't really care

wow y would u hate it? how would u get psn titles? arcade titles? wiiware titles? its just a way to screw over gamespot because of their USED GAMES section

Around the Network

With the way, the infrastructure is for broadband, they would be cutting themselves out of 40% of the market (everyone not inside a city) if they went to only download. Not only that, it would be very difficult to deal with many people downloading 40 gig files, when most cable companies have a monthly cap of 100 gigs.
A lot will have to change until we see the end of discs.

Yes I am a fan of the Playstation 3, but I am an even bigger fan of intelligent and rational dialog. (If you are up for an intelligent exchange of ideas, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

(haven't been playing much since I am broke)

Can you post a link to an opposite petition? I'd like to support DD.

Gearbox said:
wow y would u hate it? how would u get psn titles? arcade titles? wiiware titles? its just a way to screw over gamespot because of their USED GAMES section

i have dial-up

I think the speed of your internet effects how much you like it

dli2k3 said:
The day they stop physical media is the day I stop gaming.

This.

lol