By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happened to video game music?

It is kind of sad to see that music isn't used as much. For example, Warhawk has some seriously amazing music, but it isn't used much. I realize that it's an online only game, but the music is really good and fits the game very well. I finally broke down and downloaded the soundtrack and listen to it while I play now.

Around the Network

It's about knowing where to look, just like it's always been about knowing where to look.

twesterm said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Carl2291 said:
Play "Lost Odyssey"

Some of the best music in all gaming.

Let's pit the LO battle theme against some other notables.  See for yourself how it stacks up.

And think, you didn't even bring out some of the big guns.

Edit the videos out of your quote please.  After more thought, I'd rather not load this thread down with youtubes.

I actually haven't played Saga Frontier.  It has some okay battle themes though.

New games ain't got nothin' on this:

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Soriku said:
Man With the Machine Gun alone is overkill.

LO's soundtrack is really weak compared to Uematsu's other works IMO...

Haven't you only played three games with Uematsu soundtracks?

Or is it two?

Around the Network

i think you should play Infamous, uncharted , MGS4 , No More Heroes, Halo 3 :P

Edit: oh and i forgot Warhawk and Valkyria Chronicles

Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
Man With the Machine Gun alone is overkill.

LO's soundtrack is really weak compared to Uematsu's other works IMO...

Haven't you only played three games with Uematsu soundtracks?

Or is it two?

Like...3. I haven't played the older FFs :( I'm waiting for them to come to VC. But I don't have to play a game to know if the music's good or not. There's plenty of games I haven't played but still really like the music to...

A truly great soundtrack draws power from context. You need to play a game in order to understand how well its soundtrack works.

In general I would agree but I think there are still some extremely unique and memorable soundtracks out there such as Persona 4, TWEWY, and to a lesser extent Valkyria Chronicles.

Although I'm not sure if this apparent decrease in the quality of soundtracks is real or if it is just perceived because you only remember the best of the best from the past and you are comparing that to music in general of today.

Leonidus said:
You can't mention game music and soundtracks without mentioning Vice City.
That 80's stuff was amazing.

I meant  OST's.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Soriku said:

That's true...but I still know what's good and what isn't :P

...You can't agree that context is necessary to appreciate a soundtrack and then claim that you know what's good anyway!