By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happened to video game music?

Khuutra said:
I think we can all agree that this gen's soundtracks will have a deficiency of awesome until we get an F-Zero.

Need the thread continue?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Torillian said:
In general I would agree but I think there are still some extremely unique and memorable soundtracks out there such as Persona 4, TWEWY, and to a lesser extent Valkyria Chronicles.

Although I'm not sure if this apparent decrease in the quality of soundtracks is real or if it is just perceived because you only remember the best of the best from the past and you are comparing that to music in general of today.

Persona 4 had nothing memorable.  Valkyria had very nice music, but nothing memorable.

I will say that Disgaea 3's OST is a step down from Disgaea 1 and 2.  Although, I am heavily biased as I consider Sinful Rose to be one of the best songs to ever come out of the Disgaea series.  It's pretty amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJB2TrIeG4

It's fine if you don't think Persona 4 had memorable music, but I do and I love having it in the background while I play skate 2, I can tell you specifically where each song is from while I listen to it as well.

So you're telling me that after listening to a soundtrack over and over that you remember the music?  

Torillian said:
blaydcor said:
Torillian said:
In general I would agree but I think there are still some extremely unique and memorable soundtracks out there such as Persona 4, TWEWY, and to a lesser extent Valkyria Chronicles.

Although I'm not sure if this apparent decrease in the quality of soundtracks is real or if it is just perceived because you only remember the best of the best from the past and you are comparing that to music in general of today.

I think that music is one thing that is, for the most part, unaffected by nostalgia. If anything I reject/dislike music I enjoyed when I was younger because I've heard it too many times, have developed more sophisticated musical tastes, etc. Part of the problem is no doubt my recent gamer-apathy; I haven't played nearly as many games recently as I used to.

I guess what I'm really trying to express is frustration with the overall drop in music quality, not the lack of isolated gems with great soundtracks.

Just to be clear, I wasn't meaning you specifically when I put the "you" in my statement.  Just that in general when people see a decline in quality sometimes it is percieved because of how they remember things.

Yeah, I figured. Thought I'd attempt a meaningful response just out of boredom. I do agree, I also think the problem is not completely due to decline in quality so much as a decline in music-centric or heavily-musically-bolstered games.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Torillian said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Torillian said:

Persona 4 had nothing memorable.  Valkyria had very nice music, but nothing memorable.

I will say that Disgaea 3's OST is a step down from Disgaea 1 and 2.  Although, I am heavily biased as I consider Sinful Rose to be one of the best songs to ever come out of the Disgaea series.  It's pretty amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJB2TrIeG4

It's fine if you don't think Persona 4 had memorable music, but I do and I love having it in the background while I play skate 2, I can tell you specifically where each song is from while I listen to it as well.

So you're telling me that after listening to a soundtrack over and over that you remember the music?  

And that's why I specified that I remember where each song is from in the game.  If the only reason I rememberred the songs in general was because I listen to them alot (which could easily be said for songs people remember from older games), then I would just remember the songs and not what dungeon they are from.  Obviously I remember them from the game and not just from listening to them as background music.

Soriku said:
lol. Well if you want an example...

Before I played SMG I listened to some of the soundtrack and thought it was meh. I played the game and still thought it was meh.

Yeah, context helps, but if I don't like a track beforehand I never will.

Look you having terrible taste has nothing to do with it.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
Torillian said:

I think that music is one thing that is, for the most part, unaffected by nostalgia. If anything I reject/dislike music I enjoyed when I was younger because I've heard it too many times, have developed more sophisticated musical tastes, etc. Part of the problem is no doubt my recent gamer-apathy; I haven't played nearly as many games recently as I used to.

I guess what I'm really trying to express is frustration with the overall drop in music quality, not the lack of isolated gems with great soundtracks.

I don't really understand the point.  For every one game here that we've mentioned, there have been at least 10-20 other games with totally awful or unmemorable music in past generations.  Do you remember the soundtrack of World Cup for the NES?  Brandish for the SNES?  Jet Force Gemini for the N64?  No?  Well that's because all generations have tons of games with mediocre music.  However we remember the best music, the stuff we love the most, and then we compare all of that from 3+ generations to a single incomplete generation and wonder where all the good music is.

I'm going to just have faith that Dragon Quest IX has awesome music, Dragon Quest's almost always do and VIII's was superb.

Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
Soriku said:
lol. Well if you want an example...

Before I played SMG I listened to some of the soundtrack and thought it was meh. I played the game and still thought it was meh.

Yeah, context helps, but if I don't like a track beforehand I never will.

Look you having terrible taste has nothing to do with it.

I totally disagree

"Les Enfants Terrible" is generally assumed to be about the clones of Big Boss, but only because people don't know that "Enfants" is also part of an obscure Celtic dialect, roughly translating to "Soriku's taste in video games music"

That's right, Soriku

Your taste is so bad it nearly started a nuclear war three or four different times

Words Of Wisdom said:
blaydcor said:
Torillian said:

I don't really understand the point.  For every one game here that we've mentioned, there have been at least 10-20 other games with totally awful or unmemorable music in past generations.  Do you remember the soundtrack of World Cup for the NES?  Brandish for the SNES?  Jet Force Gemini for the N64?  No?  Well that's because all generations have tons of games with mediocre music.  However we remember the best music, the stuff we love the most, and then we compare all of that from 3+ generations to a single incomplete generation and wonder where all the good music is.

Yeah, I skimmed and resultingly misinterpreted Torillian's post. So I'll just reiterate a point I made later in the thread: it's not so much a decline in the quality of music in games as the decline of the prevalence of music in games. So there are a lot more games on the market that do not expend a very large budget on music. I'd also assume that 9/10 developers, if given the choice, would spend more time on eye-popping graphics than a top-notch soundtrack.

I never claimed that the previous generations had unanimously great music, my original point was that the median quality of videogame music seems to have slipped a bit. That's far from inarguable, but I think it's valid enough to discuss.

Okay, end of meandering ruminations.

Play Shadow of The Colossus easily the best videogame Soundtrack I've heard