By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TGS interview with Phil Harrison.

libellule said:
true gamers finish all their games !!!!!
you begin, you finish !

Can Phil H

Why are people upset at Phil Harrison?
I feel bad for the guy, now is not a good time to be doing PR spin for the PS3, it's like when Peter Moore had to constantly answer RROD questions earlier this year.

It's not his fault Lair sucks, HS is short, and Home is delayed until 2008. Those are things he is being forced to talk about by the interviewer, not things he's voluntarily hyping (like at the beginning when he mentions GT, Echochrome and Eye of Judgment). Blame Sony as a whole, not Phil for doing his job.

Best spin job: Home isn't delayed, it's already "out now" because there's the Home Beta!

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Iono but I always finished all the games I bought and I finished some rentals too.

Of course maybe I didn't buy as much games as some of you did, but still... I think it's a waist of money to play only half of a game.

Why even bother having a console if you don't even finish the games you start? O_o

I'm sorry I don't want to flame or anything I'm just trying to understand you points.

lolita said:
Iono but I always finished all the games I bought and I finished some rentals too.

Of course maybe I didn't buy as much games as some of you did, but still... I think it's a waist of money to play only half of a game.

Why even bother having a console if you don't even finish the games you start? O_o

I'm sorry I don't want to flame or anything I'm just trying to understand you points.

Becaue i play games casue its fun, if it stops being fun i dont play them anymore.

after 18 hours i gave up on FF12, boooooring.

lolita said:

In my case, I probably don't finish half the games I have - and I have far, far too many games.

The thing is, sometimes I buy a game thinking it will be one way when it's another; it becomes a letdown, and I decide to just give it up.

Other times, the game has me stumped to the point where I leave the game for a year or so (so my mind is fresh) and then get back to playing it.

Sometimes, the games I buy are not for my enjoyment, but for family/friend/group enjoyment. In fact, that is the number one reason I bought the Wii (haven't finished Super Paper Mario nor Twilight Princess, nor Metroid Prime: Corruption because they are single-player games. However, the party/multiplayer games are all finished.

There are many reasons why I (or perhaps others) don't finish a game. To wit, here are a few concrete examples:

Doom 3: Too "scary" for my tastes now - need to relax more, not less!

Manhunt: I found the gratuitous violence a bit excessive. (I guess being a father changes you quite a bit more than first expected!)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Got this game only to play online with my brother in law, but the online code was virtually unplayable, so that game will probably never get played again - not unless the developers fix the multiplayer code.

Twilight Princess: Never finished any Zelda game - not my cup of tea really, and this one was no exception.

Escape from Monkey Island: Stuck and gave up! It's been, on and off, six years now trying to figure out the same !@#$%^&* puzzle and I finally threw in the towel and deleted the save game.

I used to finish every game I got, ever if it was a bit crappy; lately, more money pours into my pockets and I buy more games thus, half of them stay unfinished (although most about 90% finished)

Around the Network

games that aren't finished are ones that failed to keep you interested.
good games keep you interested.
those games gets finished.

however, my primary reason for not finishing games nowaday... too many games, too little time.
I have a rather large list of games that I've played half way only to be put away for newer games.
I intend to finish them at some point, however, I just need a year or 2 of vacation.

ohhh, she didn't even answer (the tragedy!!)

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

I've clocked most of my games. but as of late, due to work and online gaming I have only recently clocked mg3 and I still have ff12 to finished - I would of finished ff12, but I got the ps3 :P and now that I have other ps3 games...so it may be another few months... but it will be clocked :P I'm like near the end :D

Back to topic, I really enjoy Phil's interviews... It always gives us hope :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Phil is a master PR man, always composed, and well spoken.

As for games I haven't finished- Red Faction II, Canis Canem Edit, GTA: San Andreas, and Operation Winback- (absolute shit).

I have never finished God of War, but I got to the last guy and refused to reduce the difficulty to beat him. I figured getting there was enough and the story was pretty much done for me.

There are a lot of games like that actually. I'll get to the last guy and for whatever reason, I'm done. I think the last game I actually beat was Super Mario 3. They are all the same after that. Credits roll and they leave it open for a sequel.

Usually, I play a game until I figure out the mechanics, or "the way to win" and the game is pointless after that. I'm not a rabid competitor either, so scores mean nothing to me. I don't care if I get a trophy on some Internet site to show off my e-peen or anything like that. That's probably why I could care less for XBox Live and/or the trophy rooms in Home. It's also why MMOs have fallen to the side for me as well. They used to reward you with things your character could use, and lately it's been rewards to stick in a imaginary instanced house that nobody will ever see. They are pointless.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php