By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to catch 360 by March 2008?

I don't think the hard drive is really the thing that's driving up costs.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
I don't think the hard drive is really the thing that's driving up costs.

Well, it can't hurt - can it?

What would you say is driving up costs that can be neutered? Obviously Blu-ray and Cell are here to stay, so what else (apart from the EE which should already be stripped) can the PS3 really do without at the POS that can be added by the user?

your mother said:

Why doesn't Sony just sell a PS3 without a hard drive?

That would lower the PS3's cost substantially, and sans-hdd owners can just put a hard drive of their choice in the PS3, saving them money (and is probably something that many PS3 owners have already done).

They can't drop the hard disk. Its a required component. Various games require it to be present - and Sony (like MS) want to push consumers online.

Another point - if Sony *do* release a $399 PS3 - that's a 33% price drop in the first 12 months of production. Doesn't bode well for a 6 year (let alone a 10-year) lifetime for the product.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a $399 unit - but only early into '08. 

(remember that Sony are selling part of their financial division, which can cover losses from the PS division if they occur).

I think the real question will be how MS (and to a lesser extent Nintendo) respond to this price drop. And also how consumers respond. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
your mother said:

Why doesn't Sony just sell a PS3 without a hard drive?

That would lower the PS3's cost substantially, and sans-hdd owners can just put a hard drive of their choice in the PS3, saving them money (and is probably something that many PS3 owners have already done).

They can't drop the hard disk. Its a required component. Various games require it to be present - and Sony (like MS) want to push consumers online.

Correct - but this would be different from the 360 Core system, which requires you to buy a proprietary hard drive. The PS3 accepts (if I'm not mistaken) any 2.5' Serial ATA hard drive, hence isn't proprietary.

What I was thinking was Sony could market this as the "DIY" PS3 - all you do is add your own hard drive and presto! You would still have to buy your own hard drive, but at least the perceived price point will be lower.

Anyhow, fat chance Sony would do such a thing anyhow. It is interesting though to try to figure out what else Sony can trim off the PS3 to lower its price... 

Sqrl said:
Darkdays said:
superchunk said:
Ok, the only way I can even imagine this happening is this.

1. 360 premium stay >= $300
2. A PS3 sku @ $300 (40GB) and @450 (80GB)
3. MGS4 and Killzone 2 released. (FF13 given a solid midyear 2008 date)
4. 1 and 2 and one of the games in 3 all happen by xmas.

Other than this. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Not that hard. One game could seriously drive sales this year, we will see how Uncharted and UT3 do. Also look at the releases in early 08, very stacked.

kaz is saying it because he knows when and how much the price cut will be. A low cots entry PS3 at $350 my guess, 80gig $400(2008) and a big ass 180 gig +game bundle for $500

Uhm, first of all the fact that you seem to think the PS3 could get a $150 price cut this year is...well insane. But you take it a step further when you say that you think in 2008 when they lower the 80GB model they are gonna drop it $200 instead of the $100 everyone else is expecting which is also insane.

I would be very interested to know how you think Sony could finance such an endeavor and why you think they would be willing to shovel that much money into the console right now.

Put your famboyism aside and think a little, and i never said the big cut will come this year. 

80gig will be 500 this year when the 60gig supply runs out everyone knows this.  They will cut price becasue they will be able to.   Smaller cheeper chips is when the big cut will happen.  That will easily cut 30% of the production costs making as big as a $150 cut be Cost-effective.  

Around the Network

We should keep this thread going til March to see what happens. It will be funny either way, if Sony does do it :P all the post laughing will be mocked if Sony fails, it's another Blow for us Sony Fans... Either way I think they have a chance. I think Japan will start to pick up on the ps3 sales.

I'll admit I'm way off my prediction of the Wii slowing down after 12 mil (like duh!!!) Although it does seemed to of slow down at the moment in JP. Maybe around 15mil we will see a dramatic slow down. :P j/k :P

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Well this doesn't help either

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96425

Sony again say **** you to the rest of the world we only care about Japan. 

I was watching the TGS 07 xplay show, day 2, earlier this evening and I noticed they ran this same piece of analysis along the bottom newsreel. I was like, WTF, thinking about how misleading that would be to the average person who has no idea that sony hasnt even moved 5 million consoles yet worldwide. Someone who doesnt know better might be like..oh, they are going to have as many consoles as 360, maybe I should get a ps3 now...G4 really pisses me off sometimes. I also hate that fool Adam Cessler(sp?) on xplay, they should just have Morgan Webb. That guy seriously cannot stop making funny faces, moving around, and waving his arms around every time he is talking, or just acting spazmatic when Morgan is talking. It is really annoying. How did he get that job anyways? Total d-bag!!!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

jhlennon1 said:

Not official.

Playasia here i come, region free.

Darkdays said:
jhlennon1 said:

Not official.

Playasia here i come, region free.

I know it's not official but given the Japan version was delayed 2mths it definitely follows logic. Sony just don't release Gran Turismo games in EU and Japan at the same time, they just don't.