By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Team Ninja? Really?!?!?

Jeremy092387 said:
Well the fact that Sakamoto, who has been involved with pretty much all(if not all) the 2-d Metroids, I don't really think there is anything to worry about. Besides with Nintendo still overseeing the project, I think the chances of disappointment are next to none.

Because it's not as if the Metroid franchise has moved on since its 2D days.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I'm myself not a big fan of Team Ninja, but previous efforts proves that Nintendo outsources and cooperates with other developers nicely. So I don't worry about Team Ninja spoiling Metroid gameplay\atmosphere etc.

//btw Metroid Prime was made by people who left Iguana Entertainment and some newcomers never involved in developing Metroid title before.

Tayne said:
rocketpig said:
Tayne said:
It never hurts for another developer to have a fresh take on a Nintendo franchise. We might get Square Enix making a Zelda title someday. I doubt Other M will disappoint.

Gee, I thought the "fresh take" was Retro itself.

Maybe they transitioned the franchise to 3D, created three Metroid games that kicked ass and then I missed it. Obviously, the next best move was to give the franchise to an action studio and see what they can do with it.

Yeah, that fresh take was like six years ago when the first Prime came out.  This is Nintendo we're talking about.  They're not going to have Retro pumping out Metroid FPS(or FPA) until the end of time.  The trilogy is over.  Time to move on to something different.

Really? You don't think Retro could do a good job with the franchise? Shit, they fucking saved Metroid after whats-his-face-who-created-the-VirtualBoy died and brought it back to relevance.

If you've been around this forum, you know that I don't like the modern Metroid. On the other hand, I respect what they've done with the franchise.

But Team Ninja? Cooooooooommmmmmmmmmmeeeeee onnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeee....

Again, my Michael Bay comment sticks.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Well I think people were not too happy when Sega were given F Zero on Gamecube but that turned out to be an absolutely amazing game. Far far far far far far far better than the Nintendo made Gamecube racing games (Wave Race and Mario Kart).

I think this will work out well.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I think they will do a great job, they do after all have Nintendo looking over their shoulders.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

Yoshio Sakamoto (director) and his team have only worked on the 2d Metroid titles for handhelds. because of this he approached people who had development experience that could balance his teams weakness. later he found out that these people were members of Team Ninja.

Sakamoto and his team is still leading the development and what Team Ninja will do is create their vision in stunning 3d graphics while ramping up the action elements.

it's still going to have everything that makes the Metroid series (particularly 2d) but with better action and quality storytelling.

rocketpig said:
Tayne said:
rocketpig said:
Tayne said:
It never hurts for another developer to have a fresh take on a Nintendo franchise. We might get Square Enix making a Zelda title someday. I doubt Other M will disappoint.

Gee, I thought the "fresh take" was Retro itself.

Maybe they transitioned the franchise to 3D, created three Metroid games that kicked ass and then I missed it. Obviously, the next best move was to give the franchise to an action studio and see what they can do with it.

Yeah, that fresh take was like six years ago when the first Prime came out.  This is Nintendo we're talking about.  They're not going to have Retro pumping out Metroid FPS(or FPA) until the end of time.  The trilogy is over.  Time to move on to something different.

Really? You don't think Retro could do a good job with the franchise? Shit, they fucking saved Metroid after whats-his-face-who-created-the-VirtualBoy died and brought it back to relevance.

If you've been around this forum, you know that I don't like the modern Metroid. On the other hand, I respect what they've done with the franchise.

But Team Ninja? Cooooooooommmmmmmmmmmeeeeee onnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeee....

Again, my Michael Bay comment sticks.

Nintendo needed to revamp the series. The last one didn't sell that good. That's a difficult thing to do with the same team of three previous installments. They needed a fresh team with a new view on Metroid. It looks like metroid could be better than ever. 

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

prime were not the best selling nor the best metroids.The sales of the prime games were lowering.Call it lack of improvement from retro.They had to be changed.Is also good to see the series creator involved in his creation for once again. Retro took many features from metroid away.I waited for years to see Metroid back as it is, from Nintendos hands themselves, and if they wanted support from Ninja team, all for the better.

intro94 said:
prime were not ... the best metroids.

I very much disagree with that. I love Metroid, Super Metroid and Fusion, but Prime 1 is the best. game. ever. according to me. So you can't just blanket say that.

Actually metroid prime IS the best selling metroid. It's also one of THE best metroids made(I'm not going to say it's the best one bc that's totally subjective)

Metroid prime 3 is selling pretty good compared to other metroids with only metroid fusion and Metroid out sellin it.

But yes, they need to revamp the series because they need to sell over 2-3M copies... Metroid prime sold 2.83M copies... They need to top that with this new metroid. I hope it will sell 3M copies atleast.