By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Feb 2007 NPD Thread

Heidir said: Software numbers, please...
Please? With sugar on top?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

@o@ The forums are going to be alive tonight!

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Man, imagine a well done Wii Sports Health Pack. I think I should start stocking up on the Wii when the inevitable "sitting on shelves" begins in preparation for the 07 holiday.

Monorojo said: I'm not spinning anything, im just taking into consideration the past to make sense of the present. It's simply a question of WHEN Playstation 3 becomes a success, not a question of IF. We need software!
They also need the PSThree to be out next month in half a dozen different colors, a price drop and for the Wii and 360 to sit around and do nothing for the next couple years. Btw, I find it ironic that you are using the PSP's failure as an example of how the PS3 will succeed

Someone keep an eye on bloomburg business...they usually get the numbers - officially - pretty quick

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Christopher_G2 said: I still have to be skeptical until numbers are confirmed, but I've been saying 2007 would not be pretty for the PS3. I didn't expect it to ever dip below 150k in any month, but this wouldn't shock me if confirmed. It's not something Sony exec should be jumping off of buildings over. As a few have mentioned the DS had a month early on when it dipped under 100k. I don't see things getting much prettier until a price cut or a big system seller comes. It has three competitors that are cheaper, including one of it's own in the PS2, and I expect for the year those three will sell consistantly better.
I agree with that last sentence, but actually, that's exactly the reason I think they should be jumping off of buildings. When DS dipped, it's not as if PSP sold incredibly by comparison. By the time PS3 can start closing the gap, it might be too late--if it takes another ten months, that's trouble to be certain.

HappySqurriel said: Diomedes1976 said: That didnt explain the great differences in the numbers of the PSP ,PS3 ,X360 and especially DS for that month in the initial bunkum numbers .I wouldnt be surprised if these werent the final numbers as well . I don't know whether this is true or not but I was reading (on another forum) that the DS' low numbers in January were caused by the system being in such low supply after the massive sales in December ... If this is true you would anticipate that its numbers would go up in february
Yeah ,the fact is that bunkum gave us some 380K in its initial numbers and then when he provided the real ones it was 223K ,and with other consoles the same thing .Thats why I am saying we should wait until definitive data comes ,bunkum isnt infallible and maybe has leaked some preliminary data as the prior month .

Arsenal said: Btw, I find it ironic that you are using the PSP's failure as an example of how the PS3 will succeed
How selling 20 million systems in 2 years is a failure is completely beyond me, but that's off topic.

Monorojo said: Nah, it was 57k, the number this site has is US+Canada for that month i presume. Take a look back, PSP was on top; GBA came relatively close to PSP but no cigar. The question asked that month? When will the GBA crowd start buying DSs? This month is a bit early but almost an exact mirror image. Wii on top, PS2 coming EXTREMELY close to outselling it, and now we ask when will sony drop the price and past PS2 owners start buying the PS3? I know the handheld market =/= console market, but you cannot dismiss the similarities. I'm not spinning anything, im just taking into consideration the past to make sense of the present. It's simply a question of WHEN Playstation 3 becomes a success, not a question of IF. We need software!
You ignore the more important part of my post ... The DS had NO new games released that month and was in the shadow of the PSP because the PSP had launched The month earlier ... If these numbers are correct it will put the PS3 under the sales of: The Dreamcast http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=DC&name2=PS3&type=2&align=0 The Gamecube http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=GC&name2=PS3&type=2&align=0 The N64 http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=N64&name2=PS3&type=2&align=0 The PS2 http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=PS2&name2=PS3&type=2&align=0 The XBox http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=XB&name2=PS3&type=2&align=0 And it will be in a virtual Tie with the XBox 360 at the same point in its life ...

Monorojo said: Arsenal said: Btw, I find it ironic that you are using the PSP's failure as an example of how the PS3 will succeed How selling 20 million systems in 2 years is a failure is completely beyond me, but that's off topic.
Selling only 20 million systems in 2 years is a failure when you pretends destroy both Nintendo (and its DS) and Apple (Ipod) with your system...