By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL Feb 2007 NPD Thread

Just because PS3 h/w bombed, doesn't mean VF bombed...There are enough PS3s in the US to let VF5 do somewhat decent (100-200k)...However, it shows that the VF5 didnt move jack squat on software. ranz - Im just saying that the hardware just followed last month to the T - regardless of supply constraint. The Wii should of sold slightly more regardless of supply (should of had 3% more), but it didn't. I believe (prepare to gasp) every Wii wasn't sold out (gasp again) in Febuary - very close though. For the 360, it followed last month and did 3% worse as well.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

TheSource said: Diomedes that was because it was a five week month so the numbers were not final, but appeared to be near final. This is normal 4 week style. The numbers are closer to what Patcher had - he said 350k for Wii, PS3 was just over-estimated. I suspect the analysts based their estimation on checking the retail channels around when VF5 came out, which would make them think it sold that well consistently through the month
That didnt explain the great differences in the numbers of the PSP ,PS3 ,X360 and especially DS for that month in the initial bunkum numbers .I wouldnt be surprised if these werent the final numbers as well .

Diomedes1976 said: That didnt explain the great differences in the numbers of the PSP ,PS3 ,X360 and especially DS for that month in the initial bunkum numbers .I wouldnt be surprised if these werent the final numbers as well .
I don't know whether this is true or not but I was reading (on another forum) that the DS' low numbers in January were caused by the system being in such low supply after the massive sales in December ... If this is true you would anticipate that its numbers would go up in february

What games were you guys thinking would push the PS3 in Feb? The only one I can think of is VF5 and that did bad (right?). March should be much better for PS3 sales.

Good to see North America getting with the picture and really embracing DS. I'm just surprised to see those kinds of sales in a non-November/December month AND two months before Pokemon.

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: It was 70,000 units and it was the month immediately following the PSP launch ... .
Nah, it was 57k, the number this site has is US+Canada for that month i presume. Take a look back, PSP was on top; GBA came relatively close to PSP but no cigar. The question asked that month? When will the GBA crowd start buying DSs? This month is a bit early but almost an exact mirror image. Wii on top, PS2 coming EXTREMELY close to outselling it, and now we ask when will sony drop the price and past PS2 owners start buying the PS3? I know the handheld market =/= console market, but you cannot dismiss the similarities. I'm not spinning anything, im just taking into consideration the past to make sense of the present. It's simply a question of WHEN Playstation 3 becomes a success, not a question of IF. We need software!

Software numbers, please...

I still have to be skeptical until numbers are confirmed, but I've been saying 2007 would not be pretty for the PS3. I didn't expect it to ever dip below 150k in any month, but this wouldn't shock me if confirmed. It's not something Sony exec should be jumping off of buildings over. As a few have mentioned the DS had a month early on when it dipped under 100k. I don't see things getting much prettier until a price cut or a big system seller comes. It has three competitors that are cheaper, including one of it's own in the PS2, and I expect for the year those three will sell consistantly better.

Monorojo said: HappySqurriel said: I'm not spinning anything, im just taking into consideration the past to make sense of the present. It's simply a question of WHEN Playstation 3 becomes a success, not a question of IF.
Typically when a console has done this bad (see GCN) near launch, it may not be able to recover. But hey it's still kind of early, but things are not learning towards that "When", but definitely the "If". Unless you really do choose to remain ignorant of the sales numbers in both NA and JPN, despite the software releases (which haven't done too hot either).

euclid said: What games were you guys thinking would push the PS3 in Feb? .
the question is what games did pull down the ps3 in feb...? how can it fall so low after a modest but correct score in january