By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm Sorry but PS3 & 360 Motion Peripherals = Epic Fail.

Merry-go rounds are fun at first, but sometimes you can get sick if you stay on one long enough.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
WereKitten said:
TX109 said:

people hated nintendo and motion controls for three years. now they are comeing to the 360 and PS3 and suddenly they'er great.

hypocrisy at its finest?

Yes and no. Some of it is fanatism-driven hypocrisy, and some of it is totally sincere displeasement with most controls on Wii.

My case: a PC gamer, I bought a Wii on launch day exactly to play with motion controls, hoping for great applications in RPGs and adventure games. The inability to do 1:1 of the Wiimote and the subsequent use of motion controls in patterns was a let down. And I guess that many felt what I felt, i.e. that what we were promised was more than a button press -> wiimote shaking substitution. Yes, the "waggle" thing...

To me it looks like Sony and MS are going to deliver what I originally looked for, so why shouldn't I like those projects and once again hope for good applications?

Thus, while I indeed see a lot of double standards from certain audiences, please don't go all the way into thinking there are no good reasons to criticize Wii controls as we've known them, and at the same time looking with interest at the new ones from the competitors.

I'm exactly the same in my thoughts, I bought my consoles in the following order, Wii, 360, PS3.  I became disillusioned with my Wii when I realised nobody was taking advantage of the controller as I had expected.  When I saw Red Steel on demo I expected a sword fight not flicking my remote one way or another to swipe, block or do a special.  I have no issues that other people enjoy their Wii experience it just didn't match my expectations sadly yet I've kept hold of it anyone and I'm hoping motion plus can elevate it higher in my order of play.

Ok Slowmo, I kinda see your point. I think you and WereKitten fall into a very small minority on this forum, though.

Also, if developers did not manage to fully utilize the Wii's motion controls (the way you wanted them to), what makes you think they have the time and resources to wrap their minds around Natal and MW from Sony?

Arius Dion said:
Merry-go rounds are fun at first, but sometimes you can get sick if you stay on one long enough.

lmfao +1.

perpride said:

Ok Slowmo, I kinda see your point. I think you and WereKitten fall into a very small minority on this forum, though.

Also, if developers did not manage to fully utilize the Wii's motion controls (the way you wanted them to), what makes you think they have the time and resources to wrap their minds around Natal and MW from Sony?

It's not just about developers not making good use of the controls, though that also happened often. The Wiimote hardware has limitations that made 1:1 tracking impossible, some of which will be solved by WM+. Thus, not even Nintendo could give us free-form sword fighting in Zelda.

On the other hand the controls from Sony and MS look like accurate motion detection will be available since day one. The sword and archery demo against the skeletons seen at E3 - for example - worked great. If Sony and MS wrap it in nice and easy tools for the developers, I hope to see some new ideas fully explored this time around.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Whatever you say, sony's motion tech is true 1:1 and that AWESOME ! did you see the archery demo ? The wierd little monsters looked pretty good to me, not kz2 good obviously. Natal looks very high tech too.
Nintendo fanboys are just trying to make themselves feel better because the only thing that the Wii had over the HD consoles is now FINISHED.
However, i don't think natal or sony motion tech will be in any hardcore games anytime soon, unlike the wii which has a few promising hardcore motion sensing stuff i guess.

Around the Network

The technology is advanced, no doubt about it.

but how it applies it's the real challenge. Imagining the posibilities is easy, putting them into reality is a hell of a challenge and in that Nintendo is far ahead for more than three years

WereKitten said:
perpride said:

It's not just about developers not making good use of the controls, though that also happened often. The Wiimote hardware has limitations that made 1:1 tracking impossible, some of which will be solved by WM+. Thus, not even Nintendo could give us free-form sword fighting in Zelda.

On the other hand the controls from Sony and MS look like accurate motion detection will be available since day one. The sword and archery demo against the skeletons seen at E3 - for example - worked great. If Sony and MS wrap it in nice and easy tools for the developers, I hope to see some new ideas fully explored this time around.

How can you try and say that acurate motion detection will be available from day 1 when it's three years into these consoles' lifespan? The HD consoles were not even made with motion sensitivity in mind. The add-ons that we see today are nothing but the result of Nintendo wiping the floor with MS and Sony.  The fact of the matter is that Nintendo was he only company that actually saw great importance in motion sensetivity. MS and Sony made fun of Nintendo's strategy for months if not years. HD fanboys followed in their steps and poked fun at Wii's motion controls every chance they had.

Today, all HD fanboys claim that our beef with the Wii was the "accuracy" of its motion controls? WHHAAAT???? We never said shit about accuracy before....everyone just bitched about Wii - period. It had nothing to do with 1:1 tracking.

I thought Wii fanboys were already extinct.
Seriously,I think both Sony and MS's motion sensing technologies make Wii's controllers look outdated.

perpride said:
WereKitten said:
perpride said:

How can you try and say that acurate motion detection will be available from day 1 when it's three years into these consoles' lifespan? The HD consoles were not even made with motion sensitivity in mind. The add-ons that we see today are nothing but the result of Nintendo wiping the floor with MS and Sony.  The fact of the matter is that Nintendo was he only company that actually saw great importance in motion sensetivity. MS and Sony made fun of Nintendo's strategy for months if not years. HD fanboys followed in their steps and poked fun at Wii's motion controls every chance they had.

Today, all HD fanboys claim that our beef with the Wii was the "accuracy" of its motion controls? WHHAAAT???? We never said shit about accuracy before....everyone just bitched about Wii - period. It had nothing to do with 1:1 tracking.

Day one of the peripherals, not of the consoles, of course. Since both technologies have direct tracking of position at at least 30Hz they virtually can't not come with accurate detection from day one.

And I can see that you're angry at some vocal people, but this attitude won't take you far. Go back on these very forums and you'll find plenty of comments from gamers that complain about the kind of motion gestures that sloppily replace a discrete button press, not about motion controls per se. So no, the sentences where you used the words "only", "every", "never", "everyone" are plain wrong, as they usually are when generalization goes wild.

Being overly defensive will make you as wrong as the taunting morons who can't distinguish waggle from IR pointing. Keep it cool and we can make a nice thread out of this :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

werekitten - I am telling you my friend, you are one in a million. You may be one of the lets say ten people on this website that think like that. Until four days ago, motion controls were dubbed useless and not "hardcore" enough. So while I understand that generalizations obviously cannot include absolutely everyone, there was always bitching going on about the Wii. It had absolutley nothing to do with the sensitivity of Wii's remote. It had to do with motion controls in general. Today, it's all good. Everyone loves motion sensitivity now. Natal and Magic Wand are the way of the future and as you can see by responses by people like doletskaya, Wii's motion sensitivity has been outdated.