By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm Sorry but PS3 & 360 Motion Peripherals = Epic Fail.

kabhold said:
tAeZeR said:
Arius Dion said:
I understand the OP's point; If you hated or hate motion controls before, why is it now motion is cool when your console of choice implements it? He's basically calling out the fanboys.

The main reason I (im sure many others) dont like the Wii motion control was that it was way too imprecise and the quality of games were not up to par as the PS3 or the 360.

both of the montion control systems sony and ms showed is not just a copy, but a vast improvement in this technology!
there is a big difference

Bolded-  My thoughts exactly.

I want my wii to play like I expected it to. 

Well luckily for you this month you do, yep that motionplus will be out....for a year literally before the others. 

As for the vast improvement, geeze you guys sure know alot about something most people haven't got to play or running on tech demos vs actual games using it. 

Around the Network

I don't think of the new controls as an epic fail they won't reach the market saturation of wii motion + but they won't work the same anyway. So it will be able to appeal to people in a different way. It will be interesting to see what they do with this if anything.

Staude said:
perpride said:

I'm have to say that I am HUGELY dissapointed with both MS and Sony for their motion peripherals.

I mean, both MS and Sony admitted defeat to Nintendo at this point...but this garbage???

After seeing both Project Natal and PS3's little mic thing in "action", both look beyond fraud to me. The most amazing thing is how a short two days ago EVERY SINGLE one of you HD fanboys were up Nintendo's ass for how stupid the path they took with the Wii is. Today, half of you are talking about about how motion plus is going to be eclypsed by that ugly ass (opinnion, I know it was just for the tech demo) microphone Sony showed yesterday. The other half have of the people half some stupid tagline in their signature about how Project Natal is the future of gaming. Face detection and voice recognition. OOOOOOOOH. WHO THE HELL CARES??? They both look garbage!!!

The only motion add-on peripheral I will be purchasing this generation of consoles is Motion plus. Why? I know it will get tons of support from Nintendo and we will see creative and fun games. At this point, no matter what MS and Sony do their peripherals will never recieve as much good conent. For gods sake leave nintendo to what they brought in this gen. and stick to what you already have. You will never see a game that looks as good as Killzone 2 on PS3 with motion sensetivity...it's a sad truth...get over it.

MS and Sony lost a lot of respect from me. I know business is all about money but wow.

Sony had the eyetoy before nintendos motion controllers.

Another notion is that sony had the patent for their motion controller since 2004. Why it took them 5 years.. well.. Don't ask i have no clue man.

A third notion is that i have a wii and my complaints have been regarding the short range.... And the batteries.... and the fact that they also dies even when it's turned off... and that i had to buy a pheriphial just to get my wii online.. oh.. And ! that controllers are freaking expensive.. and thers a few other things.

But i do have one and I have said the motion controls were incomplete. WHich they were.

I believe Sony had patented their motion controller (NOT eye toy!) long time AFTER Nintendo released Wii.

Here's the proof. There was a thread in this forum that discuss this patent too. And the patent date (not the thread date) is October 23, 2008, if you wonder (filed June 24, 2008)

VGchartz thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47173

Sony motion controller patent:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220080261693%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20080261693&RS=DN/20080261693

bardicverse said:
dharh said:

It's your opinion and all, and this is my opinion and all, but you're wrong.

Wow, now even opinions are wrong?

Crap, this IS turning into a Gamespot.com forum

It probably should have been, "It's your opinion and all, and this is my opinion and all, but I think you're wrong."  That's what I meant and I thought it was implied, hence the "this is my opinion".

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
bardicverse said:
dharh said:

It probably should have been, "It's your opinion and all, and this is my opinion and all, but I think you're wrong."  That's what I meant and I thought it was implied, hence the "this is my opinion".

I kinda picked up on that, but just the literal translation was too funny to let slide uncommented.

On the topic of people saying Sony motion control came first (EyeToy), they only took that tech from elsewhere. Virtual Reality systems have been out far before the eyetoy.

Its sort of like how everyone screams that Windows is a rip-off of the old Apple operating systems. Truth is, Apple stole it from Xerox.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
dharh said:
bardicverse said:
dharh said:

I kinda picked up on that, but just the literal translation was too funny to let slide uncommented.

On the topic of people saying Sony motion control came first (EyeToy), they only took that tech from elsewhere. Virtual Reality systems have been out far before the eyetoy.

Its sort of like how everyone screams that Windows is a rip-off of the old Apple operating systems. Truth is, Apple stole it from Xerox.

Just goes to show that stuff like this shouldn't even be patentable.  Interface control is one of those things that anyone can think of if they try. When I look at Natal I think no duh thats how alot of controls will be in the future.  The fact that MS might get enough patents to lock out the others companies from implementing the same is troubling.  I just don't understand the 'X stole from X' comments.  Obviously you should try to add extra stuff when you come out with your version of it, which is usually what happens, but when an idea is that good you certainly shouldn't quit just because someone came out with it before you could.

And yeah camera gesture control has been around for a long time, since way before EyeToy.  The tech, btw, of Nintendo's implementation of gesture control stems way way back as well.  In fact one of their first iterations of said control was their light gun for the NES.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:

Just goes to show that stuff like this shouldn't even be patentable.  Interface control is one of those things that anyone can think of if they try. When I look at Natal I think no duh thats how alot of controls will be in the future.  The fact that MS might get enough patents to lock out the others companies from implementing the same is troubling.  I just don't understand the 'X stole from X' comments.  Obviously you should try to add extra stuff when you come out with your version of it, which is usually what happens, but when an idea is that good you certainly shouldn't quit just because someone came out with it before you could.

And yeah camera gesture control has been around for a long time, since way before EyeToy.  The tech, btw, of Nintendo's implementation of gesture control stems way way back as well.  In fact one of their first iterations of said control was their light gun for the NES.

I agree, patents on parts of a device shouldnt be patentable, but the entire product should be. Like anyone should be able to create and use the tech that makes  product A work, as long as it isnt a clone of product A. This currently is true, to an extent - accelerometers and bluetooth are primary technologies in the Wii controllers. Other people can use this tech. However, the design of the wii remote cannot be copied legally, which is why the PS3 motion controller will see many changes over time, or rish patent infringement.

I think its ridiculous when companies are sued for using the tech that is only a part of the controller, but the actual products differ. It's like trying to copyright a paragraph of a novel.

A lot, even Nintendo's motion sensing, is inspired by Virtual Reality. If you've ever seen the Lawnmower Man, it's a good example of what people expected VR to be in reality (though the tech wasn't there back then). I wouldn't be surprised to see a Virtual Reality 2.0 in the future, now that we have multi core processing.

@ oP

Amen. Someone who thinks like me.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Key difference between the Wii-mote and Xbox's and PS3 camera based motion is the fact the Wii's controls for all it games and the console itself is based around it. The control system is what made the Wii.

I still don't like it mind you over a good fixed controller but it is a dang sight better then the Natal and PS3's advance PSEye/dildo combination. They have limited uses as far as I can see, while the PS3's has that nice tech demo for 'bow and arrow' thing.

Motion plus, I don't think it'll take a hold like people think. It's another thing people have to buy and developers will have to make games work for both those without it and those with.

I wish all companies good luck on their motion things but I've done EyeToy and not played it in years. All are a waste of money in my view to 'score' a market already won. They just need to make games and make the people who own their consoles happy.

Hmm, pie.

Dinomax said:
kabhold said:
tAeZeR said:
Arius Dion said:
I understand the OP's point; If you hated or hate motion controls before, why is it now motion is cool when your console of choice implements it? He's basically calling out the fanboys.

The main reason I (im sure many others) dont like the Wii motion control was that it was way too imprecise and the quality of games were not up to par as the PS3 or the 360.

both of the montion control systems sony and ms showed is not just a copy, but a vast improvement in this technology!
there is a big difference

Bolded-  My thoughts exactly.

I want my wii to play like I expected it to. 

Well luckily for you this month you do, yep that motionplus will be out....for a year literally before the others. 

As for the vast improvement, geeze you guys sure know alot about something most people haven't got to play or running on tech demos vs actual games using it. 

I haven't played it, but I have eyes and can comprehend.