By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm Sorry but PS3 & 360 Motion Peripherals = Epic Fail.

The issue is not technology. Microsoft and Sony will deliver competent and possibly compelling products and Nintendo has developed an improvement for its system.

The issue is market. There are already 50M Wiis with motion sensing. There are 0M (as in ZERO) Xbox 360s or PS3s with their respective new technologies. That means existing customers will have to pay for the new add-on and new customers will have to do the same (or pay more up front).

This leads to a vicious circle. Software drives hardware sales. But without a hardware install base, there is limited (or no) software development. Sony and Microsoft might make games/tech demos (as some derisively have called the Wii Sports line), but how much will others invest in these new technologies?

The Wii Motion Plus is getting support because it is building on an existing base -- and because the software is literally moving hardware. Three (in the US or four in Europe) of the five games games coming out for the WM+ include hardware bundles. Thus third parities get to sell the hardware (even before Nintendo). That will put in people's hands and increase adoption. But it is an add-on with a small price tag ($10 more in a game bundle to $20 more MSRP to $25 more for Gamestop mark-up).

Conversely, there is no base for Microsoft and Sony currently. And no one knows yet how much people will have to pay or how many will pay or what there will be to play for the new devices.

Nevertheless, the failure is not in the technology itself. The failure is in being three years behind the market leader in being released. These products will be good but they will be niche. They will also probably be standard in the next console releases by their respective companies.

Mike from Morgantown

Remember, the best tech does not always sell the best -- or even sell enough to survive.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

@mike - Its good to know not everyone on this site has lost their minds. You are 100% correct.

Questions to Microsoft about Natal

- Where's the rumble feedback if there's no controller?
- If there's no rumble, how can I feel how strong a hit was? just watching like three generations ago?
- If there will be a peripheral that will give me rumble, isn't this agaisnt the no controller philosophy Natal aims for?
- And if there's a perpheral, why two input devices when I just want one?

Questions to Sony about their controller?

-If that ball is used to detect the position of the controller on screen, if I block it there will be no indication?
-If the controller also detects position without the camera.... why need the camera?
-If you can add a weapon to the players hand with the eye toy, I saw you can give things to players without the need for a controller, so why the controller?
- if you add an extension to that controller, won't that be way to similar to Wii controllers?

rafichamp said:
Actually Sony's eyetoy came out before the Wii mote came out. Get your facts straight

But the Power Glove came before both!

(>'.')>

the_bloodwalker said:

- If there's no rumble, how can I feel how strong a hit was? just watching like three generations ago?
- If there will be a peripheral that will give me rumble, isn't this agaisnt the no controller philosophy Natal aims for?

-If that ball is used to detect the position of the controller on screen, if I block it there will be no indication?
-If the controller also detects position without the camera.... why need the camera?
-If you can add a weapon to the players hand with the eye toy, I saw you can give things to players without the need for a controller, so why the controller?
- if you add an extension to that controller, won't that be way to similar to Wii controllers?

MS questions:

- There will be a controller.  Even if they have thus far claimed there wont be, eventually there will. Otherwise it will be failboat to Failington.
- See above.
- Its a dumb philosophy, so who cares?
- Eh. So you have something in your hand, but it still requires something on top of the TV. Sounds exactly like how the Wii works.

SONY questions:

- Yeah that'd be pretty much true, if it can't see the controller, it won't be able to show it.
- Its all additional information. The controller has much the same stuff as the wiimote+ minus the camera, which SONY moved to on top of the TV so the camera can usefully be used to collect additional information besides where the remote is.
Simple. The camera alone is not good enough to get telemetry like the angle of your hand if its in a certain position. The camera + the remote make it possible to get more info.
- Sorta. The SONY solution, and even the MS solution are slightly to a large step above the NINTENDO solution in terms of information that can be gathered by the games.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
dharh said:
the_bloodwalker said:

MS questions:

- There will be a controller.  Even if they have thus far claimed there wont be, eventually there will. Otherwise it will be failboat to Failington.
- See above.
- Eh. So you have something in your hand, but it still requires something on top of the TV. Sounds exactly like how the Wii works.

SONY questions:

- Yeah that'd be pretty much true, if it can't see the controller, it won't be able to show it.
- Its all additional information. The controller has much the same stuff as the wiimote+ minus the camera, which SONY moved to on top of the TV so the camera can usefully be used to collect additional information besides where the remote is.
Simple. The camera alone is not good enough to get telemetry like the angle of your hand if its in a certain position. The camera + the remote make it possible to get more info.
- Sorta. The SONY solution, and even the MS solution are slightly to a large step above the NINTENDO solution in terms of information that can be gathered by the games.

With MS questions, you gave the idea how much promise it has and how will underdeliver to the consumers

they are a large step above but many steps back as well compared to their standard controllers (no feedback, more than one input device, no integraded hardware)

Hahahahahaha... Sony and Microsoft fanboys really make me laugh.

Do you people actually believe that Sony was the first for motion control? Seriously, stop saying they did this back in the ps2 day because they did nothing with motion control during the ps2 era. Do you guys think Nintendo decided to add motion control in 2006 one month before the wii release date? Jesus christ... They already knew they had to do this after the launch of the failcube(ok gamecube)
The hard cold truth is, sony wouldn't dare to release motion control first. They copied from Nintendo, just accept it.

Fanboys called motion waggle and gimmick, then so is this. 

For the people who think this will be succesfull, it won't. It will fail and they know it. It's just to prepare them for the next gen.

the_bloodwalker said:
dharh said:
the_bloodwalker said:

MS questions:

- See above.

SONY questions:

With MS questions, you gave the idea how much promise it has and how will underdeliver to the consumers

they are a large step above but many steps back as well compared to their standard controllers (no feedback, more than one input device, no integraded hardware)

If done correctly both the MS and SONY solutions can be better than the NINTENDO motion controls.  If done wrong you're right.  That's just the way it always is in this business.  If MS adds a force feedback controller, hell it could just be something you strap around your wrist for all that matters, then it would be moot.  I still don't get why you care about more than one input device.  Nintendo uses two things for input needs, SONY's and MS's solutions will too.  There's no integrated anything with NINTENDO either.  I just dont understand what you're going for.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Samus Aran said:

Hahahahahaha... Sony and Microsoft fanboys really make me laugh.

Do you people actually believe that Sony was the first for motion control? Seriously, stop saying they did this back in the ps2 day because they did nothing with motion control during the ps2 era. Do you guys think Nintendo decided to add motion control in 2006 one month before the wii release date? Jesus christ... They already knew they had to do this after the launch of the failcube(ok gamecube)
The hard cold truth is, sony wouldn't dare to release motion control first. They copied from Nintendo, just accept it.

Fanboys called motion waggle and gimmick, then so is this. 

For the people who think this will be succesfull, it won't. It will fail and they know it. It's just to prepare them for the next gen.

Funny I read a lot of that before the Wii was released too.  Time for the arrogance of Nintendo fanboys to take a hit I think.  Also Microsoft had a gyroscopic controller back in the early 90's long before the wiimote was even a concept, motion control has been around a awful long time, the difference is Nintendo were the first to successfully implement it.  The hard work for Sony and Microsoft has been done, Nintendo has proved to the public that motion control can be fun in games, now the other 2 players can ride the gravy train too.

If you honestly don't understand why many people criticized the "waggle" in Wii games then you're a fool.  I loved Trauma centre for it's inventive use of the wiimote but unfortunately for every game like that there is a several more where no effot has been put into implementing anything but the most basic gesture control.

slowmo said:
rockstarjerry981 said:
I'm sorry but anyone who looks at that Xbox Avatar having a siezure and says that it's the future of motion technology is so high on the Microsoft propoganda I don't even know if they can think for themselves any more.

And what the hell happened to the whole motion is just a gimmick BS? Three years and fifty million units later, Microsoft and Sony are practically admitting that motion was the right choice, so now motion controll is cool because they will have it in the future? Am I missing something here?

Yes, Sony did have motion controll at the beginning of the generation, and what did they do with it? They ditched it in favor of rumble.

I never post here, but I have been reading what everyone has to say on these forums for the past 2 1/4 years and I cannot believe the level of denial this whole motion crap has created.

You're welcome to your opinion but it does appear you know very little about software development.  The avatar glitching was simply a result of the camera picking up the feet leaving the ground of Kudo and it didn't interpret the motion of his knee bending.  The software can be easily written to understand the human bodies natural ranges of motion so it knows not to twist joints around at unnatural angles.  All this showed was the technology is still maturing which we knew anyway given how it wasn't too long ago Microsoft bought the company that built their camera.

Writing off any new control interface after the egg on face fiasco people suffered from doubting the Wii pre launch is why there is more optimism towards these new controllers.  Until either is proved a pile of crap then I'll choose to remain open minded.

I agree with this.