By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anybody else's Sony stuff just stop functioning?

my parents had the same problem with the p2 ... it stopped working after 2 years ... result: they bought a new one (slim silver) the ps2 i had at work (developer company) got problems after one year with reading discs... i've still a working NES at my parents which i got when i was 7 years old (so it is 20 years old now)

Around the Network

after my experience with preorder of the ps2, never again will i preorder any thing from sony. i received my ps2 on launch. started playing games and it actually started scratching my game disc and stopped reading! i had to return it, pay close to 20 bucks to ship it, waited more than a month before they sent anything back to me!!!! anyways, about that rumor...i heard other people say their sony stuff just all of a sudden stop working. with the exceptions of tv. i guess that is still their best product. my ps2 will only read 50% of the dvds so i dont even bother with it... i REFUSE to buy another ps2. good thing it's only ps1 game problem. my ps1 still works at least cuz i bought it kinda late.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

When I bought my PS2 I bought it with Shadow of the Colssius, took it home and it wouldn't play the game, so I had to take it right back to the store and get a new one which stopped playing DVD's about 6 months into it, but I have a DVD player so I don't care. I also had a Sony Car CD player that stop working the day after my warrenty expired.

My Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive just stopped working one day. It ejected fine, but it would never read anything.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah. 2 years ago, I bought a pair of noise canceling earbud headphones from them, and within a month, the left one quit working, and a month later, the right one quit working. Never bought a product of theirs since. But that probably has more to do with the way they have conducted the video game side of their business more than anything else. God I can't stand those arrogant assholes.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Around the Network

staticneuron said: I am surprised to hear this. Out of all my friends only one had an issue with the PS2...... and I have alot of friends. I have owed 2 PS2 and purchased another two for friends/relatives. I had no issues with my PS1 and neither of any of my friends. Is this hardware failure batch based, location based or interface based. I really would like to know.
I'm surprised that you are surprised. Their was a class action lawsuit brought against Sony because of the prevalence of PS2's with giving owners Disc Read Errors. Sony settled this lawsuit in late 2005. http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/jakx/news.html?sid=6139482 http://www.ps2settlement.com/

Both fat PS2's I had died after almost exactly 2 years. The slim one I got has been going for 2.5 years now but I hardly ever use it. The unreliability of their hardware combined with the insane price is the main obstacle to get me to purchase a PS3 right now.

I've got a Japanese PS2, 4 years old, hundreds of hours played and still working. PSP over 2 years old still working amazing. PSX 10 years old, still working great... Sony Triniton TV over 11 years old, still worked but bought a Sony Bravia LCD TV just a few weeks ago and keep my older one for reserve... It just depends how you're getting along with your machines I think ;) Or I'm a very luckly b*tch

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

WiiGirl76 said: I've got a Japanese PS2, 4 years old, hundreds of hours played and still working. PSP over 2 years old still working amazing. PSX 10 years old, still working great... Sony Triniton TV over 11 years old, still worked but bought a Sony Bravia LCD TV just a few weeks ago and keep my older one for reserve... It just depends how you're getting along with your machines I think ;) Or I'm a very luckly b*tch
Let's just go with the latter Although those are among the highest quality products Sony offers...maybe they just don't try as hard with their DVD-RW drives...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

WiiGirl76 said: I've got a Japanese PS2, 4 years old, hundreds of hours played and still working. PSP over 2 years old still working amazing. PSX 10 years old, still working great... Sony Triniton TV over 11 years old, still worked but bought a Sony Bravia LCD TV just a few weeks ago and keep my older one for reserve... It just depends how you're getting along with your machines I think ;) Or I'm a very luckly b*tch
Well, I was going to call you a lucky lady but, whatever floats your boat WiiGirl76