By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anybody else's Sony stuff just stop functioning?

My launch PS2 started refusing to read CD's 8 months after launch and wouldn't read any disk in after owning it for just over a year. I did realign the laser but after each time it would prove less effective until that did nothing at all. The PS1 had similar hardware issues with the laser running on a plastic track that would wear down with use. Many PS1's would only work if placed horizontal or even upside down, and there was also problems with overheating. Eventually hardware revisions solved these issues but it wasn't until late in the consoles life. Needless to say I have doubts about the PS3 and it's Bluray drive and the heat my unit generates is not comforting either.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

I have a PS3, PS2, and PSP, and none of them has ever malfunctioned in the least for me.

I've had very poor luck with Sony products. I had two PS2's stop working for different reasons, both out of warranty. I also had two Sony cybershots digicams with the same problem. They would corrupt the memory on the memory stick. Until the flat screen revolution I had only purchased Sony TV's. I have had Trinitrons and Wega's. The Wega is a nice TV. The Trinitrons were known for problems. Would get stuck between off and on. MY Wega from 2000 died last summer in front of my eyes. 7 years isn't enough for a TV. Since LCD's and plasmas are hot now and Sony isn't making any of the top models, I haven't considered going back. At some point I realized that Sony charges more because they are perceived as a high end brand. That said they are not a high end brand. They just charge more. Pioneer has better TV's and Audio equipment. Canon has better cameras. Microsoft and Nintendo make better gaming consoles(OK thats a cheap shot). Also Sony's memory sticks are less reliable then flash. I used to think Sony was the best...Now I know there are better.

I got my PSX in October of 1996 and it still works great! It hasn't had an easy life either, it's still in use by my girlfriends little brother (playing classic RPGs). I also have a PSP, PS2, PS3, Sony surround system, Sony DVD-R, Sony monitor. None of which have failed me, I also don't know any friends who had any trouble with their Sony products (maybe I just didn't hear about it), which is surprising really, since everything breaks, it's just a matter of time. I think a lot of the people who have things break are just unlucky or don't take care of their stuff. There are particular batches of products by any company that have certain vulnerabilities that other production groups of the same product lack. When you get one of the weaker products and combine that with an operating environment with conditions like: excess dirt or dust, higher than normal temperature, higher than normal humidity, constant usage or failure to power off appliance, or a user that is more clumsy than average. You are bound to see failures of the same nature, because similar conditions exist elsewhere, especially when there are millions of units sold.

PSN ID: redsock

There are quite a few complaints abot disk read errors but at 100 mill+ systems what is the ratio?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

I don't know about a ratio, but three of them were mine.

Its nothing compared to Microsoft's Xbox 360 fail rate... PS2 fail rate is about 7%, the PSP is about 8%, PS3 about 4%, PS1 9% , Wii 2%, Xbox 6%, Xbox 360.... 20+%

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The PS2 disc read error thing is really annoying, but also easy to fix by yourself most of the time. there's a bunch of how-to guides on the internet that are pretty well explained. the machine should be made to work fine for years, but at least it's an easy fix (takes about 30 minutes max). It doesn't stay fixed permanently though. I've had to open up my launch unit 3 times over the years.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Yeah, I always just pop it open, and clean it. (I dont recommend you to do that tho... unless you know what your doing)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: Yeah, I always just pop it open, and clean it. (I dont recommend you to do that tho... unless you know what your doing)
if you're PS2's broken and is just gonna sit around collecting dust, you might as well open it up. i'm no electrician or engineer, and i could follow the directions well.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.