Forums - Sony Discussion - Finally bought a PS2, please recommend games

Yup, I finally caved in and acquired last gen's market leader. It took me quite a while, because I can usually only afford to buy used consoles, and PS2s still fetch a decent price on the second hand market. Luckily my town's first Gamestop had just opened, and they've got this nice opening offer where trading in 5 old last-gen games gives 100€ off any single console. 45€ was a nice price for a new PS2 with a year's warranty, although having to pay another 30€ for a memory card kinda sucked. =/

Anyway, these are the PS2 games that I've played before and enjoyed:

Okami (definitely one of my all-time favorites)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (ditto)
Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari
Silent Hill 2
Kingdom Hearts
Devil May Cry
God of War

Already played, or going to play, the rest of these franchises, so no need to mention them. 

Games that I don't like, even though I know they're popular and everything:

Grand Theft Auto
Final Fantasy or any other jRPG (giving XII a shot, because I heard it's different)
Racing games

Games I haven't played, but I'm looking into because they seem promising:

Ico
Ratchet and Clank
God Hand (Clover <3)

Based on the above, what games do you guys think I should try? I've got piles of Gamecube and Xbox games already, so no multiplats please.

(edit: I rephrased things a bit, sorry for being so vague) 

Around the Network

If you enjoy platformers I strongly recommend the Sly Cooper series, espeically the first one which has a very old school appeal due to the one hit kill set-up. They have decent storylines and characters, well designed stages and challenges and are a lot of fun. Third one gets pretty convulted though, but it's still good.

God of War 2 for sure! I've only completed God of War 1 on my PS3 so far, I would like to complete god mode as well to unlock more treasures, but that's really hard!

I don't know if you enjoy cute funny games, but I've got Ape Escape 2 and 3 as well with which I had fun playing with my girlfriend. I bought part 3 because we already finished part 2, which looks a bit more polished graphically, funnier, more varierty, but also seems a bit too much on the easy side so far. Not a hard game, so little kids will probably enjoy this as well.

I am looking for Okami myself, but I couldn't find it in any of the shops around here.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

First note:As you said FFXII and FFX2 as well though are the different ones.XII because of battle system and X2 because it is terrible :D. You said you have played KH,you should also play KHII.In my opinion its not as good,but still a great game. You will also like Resident Evil 4 and God Of War II. Thats all coming to my mind right now despite that there are another ton of great games.

Do you like Action RPG type games with more of a hack and slash type gameplay style?

Lord of The Rings, Return of the King is a very fun game that is two player co-op same screen. I loved the game.

Baldur's Gate I and II are great overhead action/rpg games, too.

The ratchet and clank series are good.

How about shooters? There are a lot of great FPS/TPS games that are more on rails and less "sandbox". I can't stand sandbox style gameplay -- Grand Theft Auto, for instance...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Anyway, these are the PS2 games that I've played before and enjoyed:

Okami (definitely one of my all-time favorites)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (ditto)
==> try to get MGS2 to complete the story
Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari
Silent Hill 2
=> if you are fan, you can try to play SH3/SH4
they are not as good as SH1/2 but if you like SH it is ok.
Kingdom Hearts
Devil May Cry
God of War 
==> maybe god of war 2 ?

Games that I don't like, even though I know they're popular and everything:

Grand Theft Auto
Final Fantasy or any other jRPG (giving XII a shot, because I heard it's different)
Racing games

Games I haven't played, but I'm looking into because they seem promising:

Ico
==> quite different that Shadow of colosseus even if I never played to SoC
for me ICO is not interesting enought ... try to rent it.

Ratchet and Clank
God Hand (Clover <3)

+

RE4 : it is a good game but it is not anymore a survival horror.

overall, since all htese games are quite short, you can rent them or take second hand game like me.

Time to Work !

ur lineup is solid.

viewtiful joe
socom
black & white
killzone
bully (though u might not like, it uses gta engine)
mk: arm
rygar
tons of fighting games

The exclusives I'd recommend:
-Tales of the Abyss. I know you said you didn't generally like jRPGs, but you listed Kingdom Hearts in your "likes," and the Tales games have similar twitch-based combat.
-Sly Cooper 1-3. Platforming, stealth, and just general fun.
-Devil May Cry 3. Pretty much a given. Skip 2.
-Ratchet & Clank 1-4. 1 and 2 are hybrid platformer/3rd-person shooters; 3 & 4 are more like 90% shooting, 10% platforming.
-Odin Sphere. A long, fun, beautiful action/beat-'em-up with RPG elements.

Cross-platform titles:
-Silent Hill 3 & 4. Kind of a given, since you liked 2.
-Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy and Second Sight. Psychic-power-physics-stealth-shooters. Both deserve play if you haven't played them on other consoles.
-Beyond Good & Evil. An action-stealth game that's often compared to Zelda.
-Fatal Frame 1-3. Similar to Silent Hill, in that they're Japanese-style surrealist-horror games.
-Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2, but only if you don't own a Gamecube or Wii. 2-D beat 'em ups re-imagined.

Games that I WOULDN'T recommend:
-Final Fantasy XII. It's not that different from other jRPGs, and the game basically plays itself.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Oh yeah, I probably should've mentioned I've also played the sequels of the games I mentioned. I was assuming people would realise I meant "God of War franchise" etc, but obviously specifying "Metal Gear Solid 3" ruined it. =/

Definitely looking into Sly Cooper, thanks for mentioned it.

I've already played Resident Evil 4 something like 4 or 5 times on the GC and Wii, and probably at least tried every worthwhile multi-plat, so none of them please.

I woukd recomend the Prince of Persia trilogy ... my favorite of all :) Also , Rayman revolution is amazing to ... other than that where all mentioned up there :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!